Accidentally Voted; Will it affect GC renewal?

hlian

Hi all,

I filled out my I-90 and applied for my green card to be renewed in August. However, upon not receiving my card, I began to get worried and checked whether there are any issues that would cause it to be delayed.

I found out that as a GC holder you cannot vote, and it dawned upon me that I actually filled out a voter registration form back in 2008 for the presidential election and voted in it. I immediately called the county and had my name taken off the record.

My questions is, will the USCIS know that I voted? It didn't ask me that question on the I-90 form, but I'm worried that they might check. If so, what should I do now? I'm really worried, and any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Yes they can find out that you voted VERY EASILY if they do take the time to do so. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't although they typically do not check for the green card, more for citizenship.

At this point just hope that it slides unnoticed. I would however advise you to wait A VERY LONG time before applying for citizenship, if ever.

http://www.usavisacounsel.com/artic...-but-i-registered-to-vote…-and-even-voted.htm

For Applicants for Naturalization: individuals who admit to voting or registering to vote certainly risk being not only denied US citizenship, but also placed in deportation/removal proceedings, especially the accidental voter. In both cases though, the interviewing officer has the power to exercise discretion, excuse the violations and still approve the case. That power is exercised often, but one cannot know with certainty how the process will play out ahead of time.

Good luck!

Hi all,

I filled out my I-90 and applied for my green card to be renewed in August. However, upon not receiving my card, I began to get worried and checked whether there are any issues that would cause it to be delayed.

I found out that as a GC holder you cannot vote, and it dawned upon me that I actually filled out a voter registration form back in 2008 for the presidential election and voted in it. I immediately called the county and had my name taken off the record.

My questions is, will the USCIS know that I voted? It didn't ask me that question on the I-90 form, but I'm worried that they might check. If so, what should I do now? I'm really worried, and any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't check that for GC renewal. However, if you ever apply for citizenship, your risk of deportation is high. They tend to lenient on those who registered and then didn't vote, but actually voting may be a bit too much for them to forgive.

They don't check that for GC renewal. However, if you ever apply for citizenship, your risk of deportation is high. They tend to lenient on those who registered and then didn't vote, but actually voting may be a bit too much for them to forgive.

In theory yes, but in practice we are not sure how many were ever deported because they voted. A few example reported by media
seem to always end up with offenders being forgiven. At least there is no follow up about anyone really getting deported

How you can vote accidently?

Hi all,

I still dont understand how one can vote accidentally or even register as GC holder? I am mostly sure he/she voted for D wherever and whenever OP voted? Only because of such ill-informed voters we are continuing this economical path to Greece. Still some in this country want to allow any body to vote without looking at ID.

I still dont understand how one can vote accidentally or even register as GC holder?
It's easy to register accidentally because the DMV will give people a bunch of papers to fill out, with the voter registration in there somewhere and some people sign it thinking it's just part of the DMV paperwork for a license.

But accidentally voting is not possible.
I am mostly sure he/she voted for D wherever and whenever OP voted? Only because of such ill-informed voters we are continuing this economical path to Greece. Still some in this country want to allow any body to vote without looking at ID.
There are plenty of ill-informed voters on both sides, like those who still think Obama was born in Kenya.