AC21 : what is needed to switch

gc121802

Registered Users (C)
I am with company A and looking to change to company B.

My Green card process is going on with company A.

LAC, I-140, EAD and AP all are approved.
485 will be 180 days old on 1st of April '04.

Can I switch to company B without Jeopardizing my green card process.

What do I need to take from Company A's Attorny ?
What do I need to file after switching to company B ? (I will be using my approved EAD with company B).

Can Company A cancel my green card after 1st April ?

Appreciate your reply.

Originally posted by gc121802
I am with company A and looking to change to company B.

My Green card process is going on with company A.

LAC, I-140, EAD and AP all are approved.
485 will be 180 days old on 1st of April '04.

Can I switch to company B without Jeopardizing my green card process.

Yes. After April 1. (You can even switch now because your 485 will most likely not be adjudicated till April 1)

What do I need to take from Company A's Attorny ?

Nothing. Just make sure you leave on good terms. Which is generally a good idea anyways.

What do I need to file after switching to company B ? (I will be using my approved EAD with company B).

Nothing. Your new attorney will advise you on this. Some like to file a "AC21" letter. Some do not.

Can Company A cancel my green card after 1st April ?

No they cannot.

Appreciate your reply.

You are welcome. I went through the same thing a few weeks back (still 485 is pending and I am in a new job) so do share your experiences with all of us here.

Need to change job after 180 days

Hi Guys,

Looks like you've answered to ALL of my questions.

I'm another luckless fellow who has my approved I-140, first EAD and AP approved Oct'2003 and has spent 180 days on 10th Feb'2004 since my 485 was applied.

Needlelss to say that my current company is harassing me in all sorts of ways like ignoring projects which are not according to their higher rates, trying to sell me in very short term projects like 3 weeks, 4 weeks etc., not even bothering to pay for months and things like that. My salary or whatever that's left of it dropped 60% since the end of 2000, when I joined this company.

Thanks to you guys that you've answered the similar questions I have right now. I'll just go ahead and switch job. I don't caare any more. To me it will be a new beginning after a long long nightmare.

Thanks
:)

All the best

All the best lost_in_space.

You do not have to tolerate any of that. People have fought battles on Capitol Hill to get us the benefits of AC21. (Someone on these forums said this a while back. I forget the poster's name)

When my 180 days were up, I actually called my employer and reminded them of this portability (they were already aware of it) and asked for a decent raise. It was not possible for my HR Manager to accomodate my request (he is a good guy) so he apologized. In a month I called him with my resignation and he said he was expecting it but was still surprised by my speed :)

So, first you should talk to your employer like you have a GC. Do not threaten them with resignation and play it a little subtle. Because to be honest, quitting is not the best alternative but if pushed too far, you should not be afraid of quitting.

All my best wishes.

eadwoes

Hi eadwoes,
I don't know why you gave resignation letter to your GC sponsering Employer. you can just leave without any Notice.
Do you really have to give weeks Notice before u leave according to agreement that u have signed in the offer letter.

Some time in future if you need any document at the time i 485 query, it will be helpful to you & also you should avoid giving resignation voluntarily.

-sank

Yes. It was in my contract that I would give two weeks' notice. I did not want to do anything to upset my previous (GC Sponsoring) employer.