AC21 Question... Please help!!!!....

sanops

Registered Users (C)
Hello Guys,

I have a Qn. on AC21 portability!!!. Here are my details
1)I140 applied on July 2002.
2)I485 has been applied on Feb 2003 and this was before I140 was approved (concurrent filing).
3)I140 was approved on June 2003.
4) I485 is pending for more more than one year.

I want to change the job now and with a similar description for which labor was filed and with more than the salary declared in the labor.

In order to take AC21 portablity, is it mandatory to have the termination letter from my current company ???

Can I submit resignation letter to my company and then join the new company so that they can take the AC21 portability???

I heard that the original company has to terminate the employee and then only one can take AC21 portability under such condition...

Please answer and help me asap.
regards sanops

In order to AC21
--------------------
No need to get terminated / take termination letter from sponsoring employer. So you can just submit your resignation and move on to next job. Salary difference is not an issue. The only important thing is the Job description.
Good Luck.

Hi dsatish,
thanks for yr immediate reply.
Would you please help me by answering following Qns. also??

1) WHo will send the AC21 letter to the INS?? my new job place's lawyer or me??

2) Now if I join the new employer then who will handle the RFE's to my cases?? The old sponsoring employer's lawyer or the new company's lawyer?? I want to mention that if I change job then the old company's lawyer will not reply to the RFEs. In that case how do I change my lawyer so that he can start handling the new RFE's??

3) Do I need to send the AC21 letter after joining to the new company or before that??

Thanks sanops

1. New attorney with input from you.
2. Send G-28 to replace the attorney.
3. You are required to send AC21 letter immediately per CIS memo about AC21 but most don't send AC21 letter but I suggest you to send immediately if your is stable.

AC21 papers???.....Please help asap..

Hello Guys,
I just want to make this post short...I have a clear AC21 case..(I140 approved, I485 is pending for 1 year and my new company has a similar job descriptions).
Now my new copmay is sending the AC21 letter to INS with following documents:-

1) G28 t replace the attorney.
2) A forwarding letter from attorney...
3) Two recent paystubs.
4) One page letter addressing to INS/BCIS that they are currently employing me as ....with the job description as .......
In this one page letter they did not mention the salary and also this is not the original offer letter.

Qn.:- Is it sufficient document for AC21 ?? or the new employer must need to send the original offer letter????
What else they need to send to invoke AC21 clause?

Thanks Sanops...

BCIS Memo on I-485 Portability After I-140 Revocation
Posted Aug 12, 2003

New Job Must Be "Same or Similar"

The Memo states that if the I-140 petition has been approved and the I-485 applicant takes a new job in a "same or similar" position after the I-485 application has been pending 180 days or longer, then the underlying I-140 petition remains valid under AC21. In a footnote, BCIS mentions that the underlying Labor Certification also remains valid if the same conditions are satisfied.

If the I-485 has been pending fewer than 180 days, then the approved I-140 petition shall not remain valid and shall not entitle the foreign national to work with a new employer or in a new job under AC21.

Revocation or Withdrawal of the I-140 Petition

The Memo provides that the approved I-140 petition remains valid even if the original sponsoring employer requests its revocation, as long as the I-485 application has been pending at least 180 days at the time of the revocation or withdrawal.

Evidence of New Job Must Be Submitted to BCIS

In cases where the I-140 is revoked, the Memo states that it is "expected" that the foreign national will have submitted evidence of qualifying new employment which is the "same or similar" to the position as with the original sponsoring employer. If that evidence has been submitted, the adjudicating officer may simply adjudicate the case as though the approved I-140 petition had never been withdrawn.

If the I-485 applicant has not yet submitted evidence of a new job offer when the I-140 petition is revoked or withdrawn, the adjudicating officer is directed to issue a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID). The disadvantages of a NOID have been discussed under, "Analysis and Conclusion," below.

If the applicant responds to the NOID with proof of a new "same or similar" job within the time allotted on the NOID, the case may be favorably adjudicated, notwithstanding the revocation of the I-140 petition. If, however, the applicant is unable to provide evidence of a qualifying new AC21 employer showing that the new position is indeed a "same or similar" job, the I-485 application may be immediately denied.
Employer's Revocation of I-140 before 180 Days

If the I-140 is revoked prior to the 180-day point or prior to approval of the I-140 petition, then the I-140 petition is no longer valid and the I-485 will have no basis for approval under AC21.

No Need to Work for Sponsoring Employer to Use AC21

the BCIS Memo uses the incorrect term "withdrawal" instead of revocation in various sections of this Memo, which causes some confusion. The term "withdrawal" is used in the context where a petition is pending with the BCIS and not yet approved. An employer or an applicant may request a withdrawal in cases where there is no final decision on the petition or application. After the approval of a petition, the employer may only request that the I-140 petition be revoked.

Finally, by requiring the BCIS to issue a NOID instead of an RFE regarding evidence of the new employment being the "same or similar", the I-485 adjustment applicant enjoys lesser rights and privileges. A NOID is not a denial, nor is it merely a Request for Evidence (RFE). It is a notice advising that the BCIS intends to deny the case, unless they receive information to overcome their intention. Generally, NOIDs have a shorter response of only 30 days time, compared to an RFE, which generally enjoys 12 weeks time to respond. This would be problematic for applicants that are between jobs when the NOID arrives and are unable to find the required qualifying employment for AC21 portability before the NOID deadline. Also, with a NOID, the foreign national is not allowed to merely request a withdrawal of the I-485 application as with an RFE. By filing a withdrawal request, a person is deemed not to have filed the petition or application under law and, therefore, the person does not have a final adverse decision on the case. The term "withdrawal" has been explained above in this section. By failing to respond to the NOID, the BCIS will deny the case at the end of the 30 days.