****AC21 law discussion

rsrgc

Registered Users (C)
AC21 law and the green card

It says - The person should not be denied green card if he has changed job and the jod description is same or similar and 180 days have passed between filing and adjudication.

There has been a lot of discussion about the above AC21 law

questions have been raised

a) what is filing date - is it receipt date or notice date - Most people agree it is receipt date
b) what is 180 days - it is business days or calendar days or 6 months - Most people agree it is calendar days
c) what is adjudication - For example if the officer passed judgement on February 1st and
the avm was updated on february 4th with the message that the green card has been approved on February 1st and
the person received the approval notice on February 10th and
the person stamped his passport with I-551 stamp on February 20th

when was adjudication done ? - Most people agree that adjudication was done on February 1st

The AC21 law covers the period between I-485 filing and after 180 days and before adjudication and the Employment based candidate can change jobs during this period.

Can the Employer cancel the I-140 before and after 180 days - Popular opinion is that the employer is able to cancel I-140 approval before 180 days.

The gray areas are

a) VSC/TSC/NSC has the following stand. Candidates who have changed jobs before 180 days and are adjudicated after 180 days are approved.
CSC - some of the officers are approving such cases and others are denying such cases.

b) Candidates are not informing INS and If the candidate gets a request for (further) evidence it is at that time the lawyer

Now the AC21 law does not cover what happens after adjudication - Does this law allow candidates to change jobs after adjudication - The answer to this question is No - this is not covered by AC21 law. Then the question is when is it safe to change jobs.

The employment based green card is a three step process
a) Labor certification - this is when the Labor department approves that local candidates for the job which is described in the labor application cannot be found.

b) I-140 which checks the financial ability of the company and if the company does really require a person of that calibre

c) I-485 which checks the candidate - if he is of good moral character , has be been in lawful status during his stay in the USA. etc etc

The green card candidate may or may not be working at the green card sponsoring company but would have to take up employment when he is approved. The green card is granted to the candidate because the employer requires his skills.

But what is the duration of the requirement and his employment. Is the application fraudelent - Has all this work been done with the sole intention of somehow getting a green card for the candidate. If the INS is able to prove that either the employer or employee did not have any intention of honoring their commitment to grant employment or the candidate had no intention of working at the employer then even though the green card has been granted it can be revoked. Now this happens if INS detects such cases because of random surveys or because of complaint by either some individual or by the sponsoring company or someone.

Does this mean that the employer and the employee are bound forever - Generally if the employee changes jobs after 6-8 months the INS cannot revoke the green card - Good lawyers will appeal and win the case. But what happens if the sponsoring company changes its business or goes out of business - The candidate should seek a letter from the company clearly explaining the situation. Why is this important - This review of the candidates employment history comes up when he is seeking Citizenship and it is better to have a clean record.

Disclaimer - I am not a qualified lawyer and the above opinions may or may not be correct. I request you not to consider the above as full and final view of the law and also caution you to p

are you okey?

as far as I understand it,
180 days after INS has received your application, you are free to quit your job at your sponsoring employer, or get fired or laid off for any reason. this is the meaning of the law.
the day INS has received your application is the date the envelope arrived at the INS office. now, INS may have left your envelope for a couple of years or so before they opened it.
still, if you changed employer 181 days after the receipt date, you should not need any ties to the sponsoring company as far as it comes to your Green Card application. INS screwed up as usual and did not process your applciation within that 180 day window that they had, so you are safe if you choose to change employer.
this green card procedure, that is a good way of experiencing abuse, is it not. it should be the subject of scientific studies that lead to high degrees.

cobwebs - I am okay

is there any part of my above post that u disagree on
please be more specific

I would like to be understand other viewpoints also

Good Overview, But please clarify

Hi Rjngh,
Thanks for the good overview. Per my understanding here are the points that I need your view.
1. If an employee change job after 180 days of AOS and before
   adjudication and his GC sponsoring employer doesn\'t like this,
   employer can request INS to revoke the GC processing.
   Is this true ?
2. In that case how many months/years an employee should work with
   with less pay. Is this is not a slavary.

Do I need A H1 Now

Hi Folks,
I am in 180 days of AOS and my h1 expired just after applying for 485 and new H1 is applied before the old h1 expires. Recived EAD within 3 months of 485. planning to change employer after 180 days of AOS.
My questions is do I really need h1 apporval for my gc process.
Please clarify

reply to aoswaiter_485

Hi Rjngh,
Thanks for the good overview. Per my understanding here are the points that I need your view.
1. If an employee change job after 180 days of AOS and before
   adjudication and his GC sponsoring employer doesn\'t like this,
   employer can request INS to revoke the GC processing.
   Is this true ?

answer - Employer cannot revoke gc processing after 180 days of receipt date

2. In that case how many months/years an employee should work with
   with less pay. Is this is not a slavary.
answer - Is this slavery - when I came here the company who sponsored me explained to me clearly all the risks involved. There is an opinion that we are slaves, another opinion is that we are prostitues working sometimes at one location and sometimes at another. No we are neither slaves nor prostitutes - we are highly paid consultants who move from one high paying assignment to another. we are able to hit the ground running and able to complete the assignments faster than many other people.

Answer to your question of how long - the answer to that is that before green card approval you and the employer are bound by the H1 contract and after the gc approval the employer is bound to pay you the salary specified in the Labor certification/I-140 application which may be equal or may be higher or lower than your current salary.
also I have covered this in the discussion above that a person in aos status may change jobs after 180 days and before approval. If a person is already approved he may change jobs after 6 months to one year of approval. However if the company asks him to leave because of downturn in the economy or change of business or company shutting down the employee should seek a letter from Human resources dept carefully documenting the situation and keep this with himself to prevent any problems during citizenship or any enquiry from INS

reply to aoswaiter_485

no u r in aos status and u do not need a valid h1 from now onwards
However in 1/2 percent of the cases the gc is denied due to technical cases - due to incorrect filing or many other reasons. In that case it is advisable that a person has valid H1 status to fall back on.

If I were in your case I would try to extend my H1 status or transfer the H1 to the new company

Thanks Rjsngh200

Thanks rjsngh2000,
Until the GC is approved we are both slave prostitues. This is specially true if we are working for blood sucking employers who are trying to exlpore as much as they can based on the stage of GC.

reply to aoswaiter

I guess u r upset that u get a percentage of the billing. But u will see even american citizens getting the same. They always get x amount and the billing is y amount.

But the moment u go from programmer to programmer analyst to analyst to senior analyst to project manager your take home and ur perks will go up.

This is the way of life and will not change even after gc approval

what to do next ? 180 days passed since filing I-485

Hi
My company is laying me off in the first week of March, my
RD : 07/26/2001.
ND : 09/19/2001. The service centre is VSC.
The company is saying that they will sent a letter to INS notifying them that they are no longer supporting my case. Will this create any problem ? what should I do ? I may get a new job in next 2 weeks.

searching_help

u dont have to worry

Your company is going to inform ins - No problem - You have cleared
225 days approx by march 1st week -

Next step for you is to find a job with same or similar job description.

Contact old lawyer and ask him if he will represent you. If no then ask for copy of all papers.

find new lawyer and file for transfer of lawyer so that all documents from INS go to new lawyer

call IIO after filing new lawyer papers and 3 weeks get over to check if their computer system is updated.

call IIO every 2 weeks to be sure that case is progressing as normal
and that no rfe has been issued.

if rfe has been issued follow up to make sure that new lawyer gets rfe and that he answers it correctly

Good luck

what is transfer of lawyer ?

what is transfer of lawyer ? and what documents do I need to send through the new lawyer ? can\'t I just wait and see if INS issues a RFE or an interview call.

once u decide that u r changing lawyer from old to new

then new lawyer will know what to do to inform INS that he/she is representing u and that further documents from INS have to be sent to new lawyer

but I request u to stay on top and call IIO to confirm that their systems have been updated

140 revoke

what happens if the earlier employer revokes the I-140 after more than 180 days of filing I-485??
anybody has faced this scenario??
please let me know.

job change and INS

guys please advise. My I-485 RD is May 01 and ND is July 01. Switched jobs in Feb 2002. Got RFE for 2 photgraphs! soon after switching jobs. Previous lawyer has responded with the necessary photos. I am still awating the receipt by INS (via AVM) of my RFE response.My question is MUST i inform INS of the job change? what are the pros and cons and what is the law, suggestions welcome.

I-485 denial problems discussion copied from main section

Please Reply: Mr Jim Mills
chelsea - 05:26pm Feb 27, 2002 EST

Refer to my Previous Post, i\'m reposting it !!
chelsea "I-485 Denial" 2/27/02 12:22pm

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hi Jim Mills,
Thanks for your valuable suggestions. Can you please let me know, whats options the person is left with, if he is working on EAD and 485 application gets denied, Provided H1 sponsoring Company is ready to re-hire him.

-> Can person join back H1 sponsoring Company and re-apply the 485 Process.

Thanks again

[ Mark ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Denial
Posted By: Jim Mills 2/28/02 12:02 AM
(#1 of 1)
If the I-485 is denied, the EAD will become invalid. You would need to revert to H-1 status ASAP. This is one reason why many people remain in H-1 status even after they get an EAD, it keeps the options open in the event of an I-485 denial.
Jim

James D. Mills
Attorney at Law
jdmills@justice.com
732-644-5702

Jim Mills "Please Reply: Mr Jim Mills" 2/28/02 12:02am

-----------------------
I-485 Denial
chelsea - 06:13pm Feb 22, 2002 EST

Hi,

Seeing some denials on this board, i have few doubts, can
any one answer these:

What happens when person is on EAD and 485 is DENIED, mean does the EAD gets invalid ?

And how to switch back to H1 or H4 status during such
situation ??

Thanks

[ Mark ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted By: Baba Yaga 2/22/02 6:22 PM
(#1 of 4)
I believe INS will send a notice with an intent to withdraw the
EAD, and a reply is expected in 30 days.

2. This is why some people want to maintain H-1 status even after they file the I-485
Posted By: Jim Mills 2/22/02 7:39 PM
(#2 of 4)
Jim
James D. Mills
Attorney at Law
jdmills@justice.com
732-644-5702

2.1 Jim What a nice suggestion. Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: skmajji 2/22/02 9:48 PM
(#3 of 4)

3. Thank U All !!
Posted By: chelsea 2/27/02 12:22 PM
(#4 of 4)
Hi Jim Mills,
Thanks for your valuable suggestions. Can you please let me know, whats options the person is left with, if he is working on EAD and 485 application gets denied, Provided H1 sponsoring Company is ready to re-hire him.

-> Can person join back H1 sponsoring Company and re-apply the 485 Process.

Thanks again