AC 21 - BCIS Issues Memo on I-485 Portability

sash369

Registered Users (C)
http://www.fragomen.com/index2.html

US IMMIGRATION HEADLINES 08/11/2003 - BCIS Issues Memo on I-485 Portability

August 11, 2003 -- In a memorandum dated August 4, 2003, the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services has issued guidance on I-485 portability in the context of concurrent filing and Section 106(c) of the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-First Century Act of 200 (AC21).

The memo first summarizes BCIS's interpretation of AC21 § 106(c), stating that if a Form I-140 has been approved and the Form I-485 has been filed and remained unadjudicated for 180 days or more, the approved I-140 will remain valid even if the foreign national changes jobs or employers, as long as the new offer of employment is in the same or similar occupational classification. If the I-485 has been pending for less than 180 days, the approved I-140 does not remain valid with respect to a new offer of employment. The memorandum confirms that the I-140 must be approved for portability to be available.

The memorandum goes on to discuss the effect of revocation or withdrawal of an approved I-140 on a pending I-485. The guidance on this issue is as follows:

According to BCIS, if the employer withdraws the approved Form I-140 on or after the date that the Form I-485 has been pending 180 days, the approved I-140 remains valid under the provisions of Section 106(c) of AC21.
BCIS expects that a foreign national will have submitted evidence that his or her new offer of employment is in the same or similar occupational classification.
If the underlying Form I-140 has been withdrawn and the foreign national has not submitted evidence of a new qualifying offer of employment, the adjudicating officer must issue a Notice of Intent to Deny the pending Form I-485.
If the foreign national timely responds to the Notice with evidence of a qualifying job offer, the BCIS may consider the Form I-140 to remain valid with respect to that offer and regular processing of the I-485 may continue.
If the foreign national timely responds to the Notice but does not establish evidence of a qualifying job offer, the adjudicating officer "may" immediately deny the I-485.
If the foreign national fails to respond or timely respond to the Notice, the adjudicating officer "may" immediately deny the I-485.
If approval of the Form I-140 is revoked or the Form I-140 is withdrawn before the I-485 has been pending for 180 days, the approved I-140 is no longer valid with respect to the new officer of employment and the I-485 may be denied. Prior BCIS guidance indicates that revocations are retroactive to the date that withdrawal was requested by the employer; therefore it is possible that, though a revocation may be effected by BCIS after 180 days have elapsed, it will be deemed to have occurred prior to the 180-day mark if the employer requested withdrawal before that time.

The offer of employment must be in good faith and the employer must have had the intent, at the time the I-140 was approved, to employ the beneficiary upon adjustment. The memo goes on to note that there is no requirement that the beneficiary of the I-140 actually be in employment until permanent residence is authorized and that it is possible for a foreign national to qualify for the provisions of Section 106(c) even if he or she had never been employed by the prior petitioning employer or the subsequent employer.

Excellent

This memo would help all AC21 user if it is more thatn 180 days. .It also tells that you should inform BCIS asap. That mean as soon as you leave your employer and joined another one.
Atleast this is some thing that every one would love other that approval of I485.

:D ;)

It still doesnot say you must inform BCIS regarding job change. IT says BCIS expects and you can always inform while u receive the notice .
any more views

Also the new salary part is not clear

"similar occupational "

Title and job description can be made similar ( infact exactly same)

what if salary defined in labor is 80K and new job is 75K .. is it similar ????? I guess the terminology of "SIMILAR" is still in hands of the BCIS officer.

ghost_rider

"If the underlying Form I-140 has been withdrawn and the foreign national has not submitted evidence of a new qualifying offer of employment, the adjudicating officer must issue a Notice of Intent to Deny the pending Form I-485. "

Read this so Must is better because. They would send you denial and then you have open a motion and then submit the evidence regarding your job or if lucky you get RFE.
So we should take it as must. B'coz once say they have taken up your case. Then God knows when you turn would come back.
Sooo. You knoww...

rich_honey...okie that may be the case when u hv 140 revocation on hand but what happens if the 140 is not revoked and then they send a rfe. there cases will get approved then its a mismatch between two person how there cases are adjusted .

may be i am wrong...i guess we will need more guidelines or may be lawyers should come up with more info on this .

does that mean if the I140 is not revoked or is not withdrawn, then the person don't need to inform BCIS?

This somewhat adds credence to what my lawyer has ben saying over the last 4 years, that is once your 85 is applied and pending for more than 180 days then you will get your damn GC come what may.

So the memo also has a nice message for all we folks wanting to test the waters back in India, as far as we mamange to get a job offer from a company in good faith then we can go back and waiti for the GC to be approved without the fear of it getting rejected.

All we need is a job offer from the sposoring employer, or from th most recent employer u are working with, with the plethora of desi companies this is a welcome loop hole..

Is there any mention about Job Location.. in the new AC21 memo..

What do you guys think.. based on the new memo..
do you think the new job need to be in the same Geographical Location as the old one...

Is the Labor still valid even if the employee moves
out of state, based on the I-140 interpretation..

Didn't you see this statement (provided by the site) is quite confusing and different from the real words that BCIS announced?

Picked by the summarization:

If the I-485 has been pending for less than 180 days, the approved I-140 does not remain valid with respect to a new offer of employment.

Copied from New Memo :

If approval of the Form I-140 is revoked or the Form I-140 is withdrawn before the I-485 has been pending for 180 days, the approved I-140 is no longer valid with respect to the new officer of employment and the I-485 may be denied. Prior BCIS guidance indicates that revocations are retroactive to the date that withdrawal was requested by the employer; therefore it is possible that, though a revocation may be effected by BCIS after 180 days have elapsed, it will be deemed to have occurred prior to the 180-day mark if the employer requested withdrawal before that time