AC-140 through Islamabad????

Zaye

Registered Users (C)
A friend of mine had his I-140 approved in July 2003 (NIW – EB2). I had filed an I-485 concurrently with my I-140 application in Nov 2002. Given the extremely LONG processing times for I-485 at CSC, he is eagerly trying to look for an alternative means of processing his permanent resident application to completion.

The obvious route is AC-140, which many people have processed through consulates in India. The question is that has anyone ever had any experience or knowledge as to whether AC-140 can be processed through Islamabad??

According to this state department cable that was supposedly sent out to all IV processing posts abroad in 2000: http://imminfo.com/Downloads/ACI140.pdf , all IV posts are supposed to accept cases for AC-140.

Does anybody have any information/input that may be helpful?

Thanks

Zaye,

I think some one went through AC-140 in Islamabad but it was some time last year. I found about it through cptracker. I tried looking but could not find the name. Do check there.

Originally posted by txcp
Zaye,

I think some one went through AC-140 in Islamabad but it was some time last year. I found about it through cptracker. I tried looking but could not find the name. Do check there.

txcp - thanks for the info.

We have already tried contacting the person listed on CPtracker (who processed through AC-140 at Islamabad) but have not gotten any response.

I'm in a similar situation and have been in contact with Islamabad consulate lately. According to them, you'll have to write to your respective service center that you wanted to switch to CP. I guess that is done thru filing I824 and a letter withdrawing I485 and opting for CP instead. Once they are done with their processing your case will be sent to National Visa Center (NVC). NVC will complete their processing and then forward your case to the consulate in Islamabad. You will then be interviewed by the that consulate.

Only in cases of emergencies will Islamabad consulate process cases just on the basis of I140 approval (I797). But due to their workload they said the chances of that option working are very bleak.

Hopefully this will help. If I find anything else out I'll post it here.

Good luck to you.

Please note that I'm not an attorney. This information is based just upon my personal research and is not a legal advice.

Originally posted by AUV
I'm in a similar situation and have been in contact with Islamabad consulate lately. According to them, you'll have to write to your respective service center that you wanted to switch to CP. I guess that is done thru filing I824 and a letter withdrawing I485 and opting for CP instead. Once they are done with their processing your case will be sent to National Visa Center (NVC). NVC will complete their processing and then forward your case to the consulate in Islamabad. You will then be interviewed by the that consulate.

Only in cases of emergencies will Islamabad consulate process cases just on the basis of I140 approval (I797). But due to their workload they said the chances of that option working are very bleak.

Hopefully this will help. If I find anything else out I'll post it here.

Good luck to you.

Please note that I'm not an attorney. This information is based just upon my personal research and is not a legal advice.

AUV - thank you for your input. What you have described is basically the whole process of I-824 taken to completion. AC-140 is a much abbreviated form of this mechanism in which one does not have to wait for I-824 approval.

I am curious - when did you speak with the U.S. embassy in Islamabad. Did you specifically ask whether they could process based only on an I-824 receipt and a copy of your I-140 petition?

According to the state department cable (which I linked to in my first post), all IV processing posts are supposed to accept AC-140 type cases. I am just trying to see if someone in specific has processed a case like this through Islamabad.

Thanks again for your input.

Originally posted by AUV

AUV - did anybody tell you what type of "emergencies" might qualify one for this type of processing through Islamabad???

I didn't specifically ask what they would consider to be an emergency. But my guess is I824 backlogs causing delays in regular CP, thus resulting in separation from family for an extended period of time, hardship as EAD might not be valid for CP might meet the criterion.

I’m still in discussion with the consulate and will let you know of any further developments.