Abolisihing the INS

shamshon

Registered Users (C)
Did you all know that as per the new bill concerning the creation of a new cabinet for homeland security, the INS will be abolished and will not be independent anymore? There will be a new bureau that wont be independent and thus potential immigrants would have to deal with many agencies instead of one. I am extremely worried about this bill because it will mean more bureaucracy and more backlog for immigrants. Here are some portions of the bill:

Section 451 - Establishment of Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services

Establishes the "Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services" to be headed by a Director. The Director will report directly to the Deputy Secretary for Homeland Security, have 5 years management experience, and be paid at the same level as the Assistant Secretary of the Bureau of Border Security.

The Director is required to meet regularly with an Ombudsman described below

Within one year of the effective date, the Director shall design and implement a managerial rotation program where supervisors and managers gain experience in all major functions of the bureau and work in at least one field office and one service center.

Authorizes the Director to institute a pilot program to eliminate backlogs in the processing of immigrant benefit applications.

Transfers the following functions from the INS commissioner to the Director:
1. Adjudications of immigrant visa petitions;

2. Adjudications of naturalization petitions;

3. Adjudications of asylum and refugee applications;

4. Adjudications performed at service centers;

5. All other adjudications performed by the Immigration and Naturalization Service immediately before the effective date specified in section 455.

Establishes a position of Chief of Policy and Strategy for the Bureau who will make policy recommendations on service issues and coordinate with the Policy Chief of the Bureau of Border Security.

Establishes a position of Legal Advisor to the Director who will give legal advice and represent the Bureau in visa petition appeal proceedings before the EOIR.

Section 452 - Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman

Establishes a position of Ombudsman who will report directly to the Deputy Secretary and who shall identify service problem areas, report these problems, propose changes and monitor the local offices of the Ombudsman.

Requires the Ombudsman to have a background in customer service :eek:

It looks to me that we`re yet to experience backlogs during the transition of ins under the homeland security but In a long run,cases will be normally processed.As for now things might be more chaotic than we thought they would be i`m afraid.

For us asylees all the same sh....

We will never have our cases processed as should be. They consider us like useless non proffesional welfare taker even though most of us are proffesionals and contributing big time to the economy.

Re: Re: Abolisihing the INS

Originally posted by Sessanga Charlesa
It looks to me that we`re yet to experience backlogs during the transition of ins under the homeland security but In a long run,cases will be normally processed.As for now things might be more chaotic than we thought they would be i`m afraid.

That's an opinion which I respect but do not agree with. I believe it is a pesimistic approach.
In my opinion, talking about speed of processing, nothing is going to change for us in the short term.
Anyways, these are only speculations with no solid arguments to support them.
Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't want to sound selfish, but I really hope that those, who were called FP in last few months are out of these transition scope.

Originally posted by annv
Don't want to sound selfish, but I really hope that those, who were called FP in last few months are out of these transition scope.

"Transition" is not going to affect processing of our I-485. INS only has to work 10,000 applications and has one whole year to do that. This number is nothing compared to other type of applications. Our files are going to stay where they are, and I don't really see why projected processing timeframe is to be affected by the so called "transition" process.
Don't see clouds where there are not. This is my opinion and all I have to say on this matter.