a dilemma about postponing interview

waitingforins2

Registered Users (C)
Hi Friends,

I am in a difficult situation. our PD is april 13/07.

We are expecting child in Dec. With the current rate of processing we expect we will get interview in dec. is it advisable to postpone interview. If we postpone it how far would it go?(if anyone postponed interview).

Is it possible to prepone the interview?(I dont think they will do this..)

What are the steps to postpone interview?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Unless you are the "Pregnant wife" and you are expected to deliver in the same day of the interview then do not postpone.

There really is no need to postpone unless you find yourself delivering the baby on the same day as the interview. If that happens, write to the DO and explain what happened - they will reschedule you.

As it happens, my son was born on the same day I took the oath last year. He was a couple weeks early, but thankfully waiting long enough that we'd finished driving home from the ceremony... :eek:

What is your DO and service center? Depending on where you filed, if a 7 months processing time applies then you would be getting interviewed before the end of 7 months hopefully (that makes it sometime in the end of October). My DO is chicago and this information was passed on to me by an IO.

Unless it is your first baby, you are just over reacting to the situation. Even if its your first baby, relax......isn't securing the future of your offsprings, the first reason you came to this country....or was it the ease of travelling?

Dont even think about postponing the interview unless the baby is due on the same day. Babies due date are not accurate just like uscis. just wait and see otherwise if you postpone uscis will put your case at the end of the line. what's your DO? usually they have 7 months for most of the DO. but that's not accurate.

Why cant there be a simpler re-schedule process? The guy or lady has to decide between the baby due date and Interview date!

USCIS definitely needs a simpler reschedule request and implementation.

The problem isn't with the mechanism of rescheduling. Its pretty "simple", just write to the DO and explain why - unfortunately doing that often causes your case to drop off the fast-track and it can be months before the new appointment shows up. So, the usual advice is to only go that route if you absolutely have to.

boatbod, would that apply to oath ceremony as well?
My Oath ceremony is likely to be just a month prior to my planned overseas family vacation. Due to a name change request, I will need to obtain new visas as well (on my current foreign passport and ofcourse a new US passport), change my credits cards etc. Postponing the ceremony to after my visit will make things simple on the travel side hence my question - Would postponing the ceremony cause a problem?

The problem isn't with the mechanism of rescheduling. Its pretty "simple", just write to the DO and explain why - unfortunately doing that often causes your case to drop off the fast-track and it can be months before the new appointment shows up. So, the usual advice is to only go that route if you absolutely have to.

My Oath ceremony is likely to be just a month prior to my planned overseas family vacation. Due to a name change request, I will need to obtain new visas as well (on my current foreign passport and ofcourse a new US passport), change my credits cards etc. Postponing the ceremony to after my visit will make things simple on the travel side hence my question - Would postponing the ceremony cause a problem?

Simple you take your vacation way before or way after (when you get your passport) your Oath Ceremony. You under very rare unavoidable situations ever try and re-schedual your Oath Ceremony. You could be looking at getting lost in the system or depending on where you are, waiting a very long time to get another Oath ceremony.

Postpone the trip, it's not worth the hassle of trying to reschedual...

My Oath ceremony is likely to be just a month prior to my planned overseas family vacation. Due to a name change request, I will need to obtain new visas as well (on my current foreign passport and ofcourse a new US passport), change my credits cards etc.
A large number of countries don't require visas for US citizens who visit on vacation or short business trips (less than 90 days or so). So you might not have to redo that many visas, if any.

Pretty much, although to some extent it depends on your DO. Baltimore, for example, runs small ceremonies almost every day, and thus rescheduling there is usually less of an impact than at DO's which run one big ceremony every couple of months.