60 day limit before get married

wjma2k

Registered Users (C)
I heard that if somebody get married in less than 60 days after entering the US with a B2 visa, she/he will be denied if applying for Green Card.

I have entered the US for 3 times with a 10 year multiple entry B2 visa. 53 days after I entered into the US for the third time, I got married with an US permanant resident. The marriage date is 6 months after I entered the US for the first time and the total time I stayed in the US was 80 days then.

I am not sure if the 60-day limit is applicable to me, or only applicable to someone who married an US citizen? If it's applicable to me, what should I do now?

Thank you very much.

Total amount of days does not count

What matters: did you have preconceived intent to marry and stay when entered US on B1 visa last time?
Common point of view less than 30 days - red flag area, 30-60 grey area, >60green area, but this is on discretion of USCIS and by the way you can sue them if they deny.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you a lot, akatu.
I'm still not sure about this 30/60 day rule is applicable to me. I just married a permant resident, not a citizen of the US. And i have left the US after we got married.

akatu said:
What matters: did you have preconceived intent to marry and stay when entered US on B1 visa last time?
Common point of view less than 30 days - red flag area, 30-60 grey area, >60green area, but this is on discretion of USCIS and by the way you can sue them if they deny.

The whole 30, 60 day rule has to do with coming to the US and adjusting status. They don't care that you got married. The thing they care about is someone who comes to the US with the intent to get married then adjust status but doesn't get the right type of visa.

You should be fine so long as you don't overstay. Your spouse should be able to file a I-130 for you to get the ball rolling but you're in for a long wait if your spouse doesn't become a USC.