6 months on 485 and 140 not approved

jtrivedi

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I had a question. If I complete 6 months on I485 but I do not get my I140 approved and for some reason my company closes down or lay's me off but does not withdraw my 140 application. Is it true that I can join another company and continue with my gc application of I140 and I485?

Is the outcome same in case of my company closing down vs I being layed off?

Thanks !

If you company is revoking your I-140 or not supporting you on any RFE's, that can jeopardizing your GC application. Just cross your fingers
and wait for your I-140 to get approved, most cases do not get an RFE.
You might want to check on this board on what kind of RFE's are being issued and be prepared for that.

Originally posted by jtrivedi
Hi All,

I had a question. If I complete 6 months on I485 but I do not get my I140 approved and for some reason my company closes down or lay's me off but does not withdraw my 140 application. Is it true that I can join another company and continue with my gc application of I140 and I485?

Is the outcome same in case of my company closing down vs I being layed off?

Thanks !

Both are risky situtations - and BCIS can deny the 485 upon adjudication in either case. If you are layed off before I-140 approval, make sure you are on good terms with your ex-employer so that they do not revoke your I-140.

I think the case your company closing down is riskier because BCIS is likely to cancel all immigration applications pending and sponsored by that employer.

2 steps

1... I 140 approved
2... I 485 > 180 days

You can easily switch jobs.

In other situation, it depends upon your I-140's approval. Once its approved .. you are secured. Wait n see .. Good luck