6 monthes Visitor/Tourist Visa

sapenjoy

Hello,

My parents have attended visitor visa interview at Chennai consulate. unfortunately they got VISAs valid for only 6 monthes and already 2 monthes are passed from the date of approval. Based on their age & health, US seasonal conditions and personal reasons, they could only plan visiting US from April/May and wish to be with us for couple of monthes.

Is there any way to request either consulate or any other office for visa extension by a year or so, before they arrive to US from India.
I undersatand, there is a form I-539 or so for visa extension requests, for those are already in US on visitor visa and i don't think, that form is relevant for my parents, since they have not arrived to US.

Appreciate your help in this..

regards,
anand

it is OK

The 6 months that they got are for them to leave the country and come to US. They have 6 months from the day of the approval to come to visit you. At POE they will be given an I94 which tells you how long they can stay in US. Lately that is 6 months (I94) and you can apply to extend that for another 6 months.
My mom got 2 months B2 visa at the interview and she was given 6 months from POE (New York), then I applied for an extension /w I539 and she got another 6 months to stay.
I hope this helps.
Good Luck!