485 Status After RFE

Greencard001

Registered Users (C)
My case status has changed to read

"Current Status:

On July 28, 2003, we received your response to our request for evidence or information. It is taking between 365 and 540 days for us to process this kind of case. However because preliminary processing was complete, the remaining processing time will be less than the maximum stated in this message. You will receive a written decision on this case."

Questions

1. Is it really taking that long for BCIS to process after RFE submission?
2. I got to visit India in December 03. Just wondering if Advance Parole is the way to go, instead of waiting 365/540 days.
3. What are my chances? Good, bad, ugly..?

PD 12/31/01
ND 01/17/02
FP 03/06/02
RFE 07/14/03
RFE Response 07/28/03

You should definitely get approved before Dec 2003, unless your case transferred to a local INS office. Since your first FP has expired, after you get your second FP done, you should hear something from BCIS.

frantic

BCIS hasn't notified me for finger reprint yet. And I have been waiting for it since FP expired on 06/06/2003 (when 15 months got over). Can BCIS still ask me for finger reprinting specially if they missed asking me in the RFE.

FP is generated through a different system. So it might be in the queue waiting to be processed. In the meantime, if the IIO touches your case after the RFE is replied, he would see that the FP has expired and so cannot approve it.

Please note that this is just what I got from going thru various immigration sites and this board.

When was the RFE issued?

Greencard001, do you know when your RFE was issued? I am asking because the online case status page says that an RFE was issued on the 11th of July but my lawyer has not yet received the RFE.

Greencard001

Like frantic said, you should be getting your approval prior to your trip in December. But again, who knows the way BCIS works. For instance right now, CSC and NSC have reassigned their adjudicators to work on religious worker 485 cases. You may never know what kind of surprises BCIS may come up with. Always play it safe with BCIS. If your H1B visa is still valid, then you may use that to travel. But if it had expired, you may want to apply for Advance Parole so that if you don't get approval by then, you can use that to travel. Best wishes, mate. Hope you get yours soon.