485 or CP when filing I140

Hpuser

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,

I want to know if I file 140 only then at what point I have to choose whether to go for 485 or CP.I know there is a clause in the form I140 where I have to mention 485 or CP.Does it mean that when I file I140 I have to decide 485 or CP and cannot change it later.

You have to select between AOS and CP at the time of filing I140. One can change it later. If AOS was mentioned in I140, then one can file I824 to chnage it to CP after the approval of I140. If CP was mentioned in I140, then one can just go ahead and file I485 anytime to change to AOS.

titu

Originally posted by Hpuser
Gurus,

I want to know if I file 140 only then at what point I have to choose whether to go for 485 or CP.I know there is a clause in the form I140 where I have to mention 485 or CP.Does it mean that when I file I140 I have to decide 485 or CP and cannot change it later.

Adding to titu's comments,

It's fairly simple and fast to switch from CP to 485 while vice-versa will take anywhere between 4-12 mts. So if you are unsure on what route to take CP might be better option now to fill in 140 app. Also depends on your HR/attorney policy in switching around.