485 approval requires spouse to live in same address???

No. If addresses are different, RFE and/or local transfer are likely (not always though), mainly to verify bonafide marriage still is in place.

Best wishes,

Jigesh

If that person is truly your spouse, aren't you two supposed to live under the same roof? Otherwise, INS could become suspicious.
What's the issue here?

my wife goes to school in MD. i'm working in PA. our cases have been transfered to Philly INS last Set. During a recent walk-in AP application, an Philly INS office told us (without our cases in hand) we have to reside in same address in order to get I485 approved. i talked to my lawyer. my lawyer said the officer didn't know what he's talking. my lawyer said if it's a family based GC, it could be a problem. but it's not a problem for employment based GC. i just want to see if anyone has similar situation and what their experiences are.

I had the same issue a while back.

Our lawyer said that if we lived in diff addresses then INS could become suspicous of the validity of our marriage and the onus would be on us to prove otherwise. Since we've been married for 6 years and have a relationship going back 10 years it wasn't going to be a problem for us to "prove" anyways. It turned out my wife didn't have to move to another address (this was for job reasons) and so it became irrelevant. But if she did have to move, I am sure we could explain the circumstance and we would be ok. There is NO LAW to my knowledge that says you HAVE to live in the same address. But if you don't you should be prepared to prove that your marriage isn't a sham that was done with the sole purpose of getting one of you the greencard.

I am in the same situation.

I am in the same situation. My spouse is a student in CA and I work in PA. My case is still pending now. I don't know what will happen next. The worse thing is that my lawyer filed my case to VSC and my spouse's case to CSC. God knows what will happen next. :(

RD: 11/07/2001

my wife and i just had a baby. that'll be a good proval, i hope.

ben2000, where's your case now? both my and my wife's cases were transfered to philly ins last sep. still haven't heard anything yet.

rd 10/09/01

Don't worry.

Baby should definitely be a very good proval. :) You needn't worry about your approval. Have you gotten your interview date yet? Wish you good luck in your interview.

My case is still pending in VSC, and my spouse's case is pending in CSC.

A friend of mine had to live in different cities for job reasons. They filed their I-485 forms using the same permanant kind of address (a friend's house in primary filer's city) because they were expecting to move one way or the other (and one did) during the pending period. The primary moved later and they filed the change-adress form. I belieave they did get an RFE for the move (primary still had a job) but never anything questioning their marriage. It's too late for you guys' cases...but you should've used the same address. But anyway shouldn't be a problem at all.

Good Luck!