3rd Yr Medical Resident on H1 looking for a job, as time runs out:

raks100

Registered Users (C)
I am a 3rd year final yr Medical resident. Have attended some interviews with one offer in hand. Not fully satisfied for many reasons. I have a few more interviews lined up.My current visa and I-94 expires on June 30th/ 2001. the issues dogging me:
1)Until when can I safely delay making a commitment. i.e. Signing a contract and filing for a new H1-B visa?
2)Will I be out of status if I have my H1-B application in before June30th awaiting approval?
3) will the Green card process be faster through labor certification if I accept a job in a health professional shortage area ( HPSA/MA)?

I would be grateful for any experiences/ advice shared on his regard

No Title

I think that you will be OK if you apply for H-1B transfer with a new employer by June 30. As a H-1B holder you do not have much time to look for a job without a visa. I think it is only 10 days.
Yes, it is easier to apply for a GC if you work at HPSA. The reason is that you can get NIW through HPSA and do not have to go through labor certificate. If you decide to go through labor department you have to advertise for the job. It is less likely to get skilled U.S. workers to apply for a job in HPSA and disqualify you for the GC.

No Title

Martina,
To get NIW by working in HPSA you need to now show that you have a 5 year committment there which people may or may not like to do. Your other suggestion is good, i.e. get a job in an HPSA, go through an RIR process and apply for I-140. With this method, there is no 5 yr obligation.

No Title

Yes, you are right. It is probably better to go through labor certificate, but it also takes a while (about 3 years). Working for MUA may increase your chances to get it through without problems.