3 or 5 year limit?

ajensen

I got my GC in Oct. 2004 through employment. In April 2006 I marry a US Citizen. Do I become eligible for citizenship in Oct. 2009 (5 yr after getting my GC) or April 2009 (3 yr after getting married to a US citizen)?

Thanks!

ajensen said:
I got my GC in Oct. 2004 through employment. In April 2006 I marry a US Citizen. Do I become eligible for citizenship in Oct. 2009 (5 yr after getting my GC) or April 2009 (3 yr after getting married to a US citizen)?

Thanks!
I believe in April 2009, once you have been married for a full 3 years.

My 2 cents.

you can apply 90 days before april. you have to be married for 3 years and also have had your GC for 3 years (which i'm sure you have).

candyattitude said:
you can apply 90 days before april. you have to be married for 3 years and also have had your GC for 3 years (which i'm sure you have).

Nope, I don't think the 90 days before April apply to this case. Please read the instructions in the guide to naturalization carefully. He has to be married for full 3 years to be eligible to apply. The 90 days apply only to continuous residence requirement, but this doesn't apply to his case because in his case the gating requirement is the one of being married for full 3 years. So, it is April 2009, unless someone proves me wrong ;) Best advice is go and take a look at the guide to naturalization.

My 2 cents.

You can use any of the basis (3Yrs or 5Yrs) whichever works best for you....It seems that marriage to USC would make it faster for few months.

Keep in mind, However, if you go "marriage" route, you will have to provide some extra documents about your marriage and be ready to back it up.

P.S. I'm not a lawyer or an immigration expert. I'm just an ordinary guy. You are soley responsible for your actions.

Superstring said:
You can use any of the basis (3Yrs or 5Yrs) whichever works best for you....It seems that marriage to USC would make it faster for few months.

Keep in mind, However, if you go "marriage" route, you will have to provide some extra documents about your marriage and be ready to back it up.

P.S. I'm not a lawyer or an immigration expert. I'm just an ordinary guy. You are soley responsible for your actions.

I think Superstring has a good point. You'll only save a few months applying as married to a U.S. citizen. It is probably not worth the extra documentation and scrutiny. If you apply based in 5 years then you can apply 90 days before you complete the 5 years (this is in case of no loss on continuity of residence and things like that which are clearly explained in the guide to naturalization).

My 2 cents.