2nd interview coming up, Pls help.

Kittake

Registered Users (C)
We had the initial aos interview at LA office on 10/23/06. Everything seemed fine, the lady who interviewed us didn't ask much questions, just the basic simple ones, she didn't even ask us for any proof like (the joint account, utilities bills etc.) she only looked at our wedding albums and asked questions about the pictures, that's it. she told us that we will get the result in about couple months.

90 days after that, I got a letter from LA office sent on 01/24/07 asking us to show up for a 2nd interview on 02/07/07. it said, the interview regarding I-130 and it'll be VDO taped. But then my wife (US citizen)had to go to court on that day, so I went to the office 1 day before interview to reschedule my interview appointment with the court letter, and they rescheduled us again on 02/16/07.

We're so nervous right now, cause 2nd interview doesn't seem to be a good sign, right? And my wife used to be arrested for having opened alcohol in the car, too.

Is this gonna be a big problems and gonna effect my applications?

Do they usually check both of our backgrounds or just mine? (the applicant).

Since they had the court letter that I gave them, will they ask questions regarding her arrest? (I've never been arrested or done anythihg wrong, thou)

Will they seperate us? and give us hard times?

You think we will know the result on the spot since we've been waiting for so long already?

We're praparing everything as best as we can now, just to make sure we'll get the the answers right. We have amost all the joint papers that they required. The only things we don't have is Car Title, Car insurance, cause she doesn't drive.

Anyone has been in this kind of situation before, please give me some advices. That will be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Kittake,

Is this the interview for green card, or for removal of conditional status on green card? Looks like it's initial green card, but I just wated to be sure :)

I am not sure how much your wife's possible criminal record might have to do with your case - hopefully, and logically, it should matter little but then again, red tape doesn't care much for logic.

As for video-taping, it seems to be a standard disclaimer on many USCIS interview letters - you'll notice your letter likely says 'may be taped' - not 'will be taped'.

Separate interviewing, in my understanding and experience, seems to be reserved for when interviewer has suspicions of validity of relationship; factors that occasionally seem to increase odds of split interview are apparently significant difference in race, age, religion or cultural background, absence of children etc. But then again, I'm 10 years younger than my wife, I'm catholic and she's agnostic, I'm from a traditional religious family, she is for a very liberal one... and they didn't interview us separately.

As for background check, I don't know - I'd guess they are only/mostly interested in your bg, though.

Re: "getting answers right" - beware of the pitfalls of sounding rehearsed. One of first questions at my interview was, to each of us, what's the other one's cell phone number. We both laughed and said 'no clue, but it's first one in my cellphone' - and interviewer smiled and nodded to that. Likewise, when interviewer asked my wife what's the brand of my motorcycle she shrugged and said 'It's black, I think Yamaha, and he calls it Hephaestus. i hate it.' - It was kawasaki, but I think her answer nicely illustrated that she's aware of my motorcycle, and doesn't pay much attention to it :) So, be prepared, but not rehearsed.

Best of luck to you!

Prepare...but also be relaxed, nervousness will destroy you

Hi :)

You sound distressed and hope my post will help a little bit to relax. :p Firstly, USCIS has no jurisdiction to conduct a background check on your wife because she is a petitioner, and not a beneficiary. For all we know, she could be a convicted serial killer or a drug dealer (only examples, extreme ones too), and USCIS would care less about those character issues. However, you in her same position but a beneficiary, you are going to be screwed big time. FI conducts a background check on you as a beneficiary to test or see issues of moral character or criminal pasts, to help USCIS determine your eligibility to be part of the American society. :D In a ballshell, she only has to prove that she is capable of supporting you, marriage is a bona fide one, you are eligible for the benefit she is seeking for you. That's it.... :cool:

Second interviews tend to be hostile to most people as USCIS might suspect the legitimacy of the marital relationship. :rolleyes: As Andr said, you don't have to sound like you were rehearsing lines all weekend for the interview. However, you will be warned to be prepare as thorough as you can possibly be for the possible assult from USCIS officers. :eek:

Evidence you should u-haul to USCIS:90% should be in both names if possible.
Insurance: car, life, health and house. Bank, credit, utilities, department credit card, pictures of you vacationing (if u ever vacationed together before marriage), thanksgiving, Xmas, hannukah, lentil, birthdays of you two or for people whom you both know and were in attendance together, cellphone bills, home phone, cable, tickets stubs from movie, concerts, sports games. Airlines e-tickets or paper copy for any trips you undertook, affidavits from friends and family about this relationship, in this case you need them to help your case, letter from church or synagogue or mosque from officiant who married you, attesting to both your married life from his perspective or church.

Some possible questions: where did u meet, who proposed and where, who bought the rings, where did you get married, who were in attendance (if you bring the album, please know some people in the album), did you consummate the marriage and where, where did you go for your honey on the moon, how did you get there, what is your favorite dish, where do you work (she), date of birth, number and names of siblings, father and mother, her and you. The above are possible questions, but not an exhausive list of questions from USCIS. As such, prepare accordingly and be approved. Lastly, dress nicely, because how you look at times could determine the perception you create among the officials at USCIS. :D

Hi Kittake,

I'm in the same situation except my second interview reason was I-485 and I-130. However, my husband is out of US right now. We have to reschedule this also. Did you make a infopass to reschedule or just walk in?
I hope everything will go well with your case.

Thanks

Kittake said:
We had the initial aos interview at LA office on 10/23/06. Everything seemed fine, the lady who interviewed us didn't ask much questions, just the basic simple ones, she didn't even ask us for any proof like (the joint account, utilities bills etc.) she only looked at our wedding albums and asked questions about the pictures, that's it. she told us that we will get the result in about couple months.

90 days after that, I got a letter from LA office sent on 01/24/07 asking us to show up for a 2nd interview on 02/07/07. it said, the interview regarding I-130 and it'll be VDO taped. But then my wife (US citizen)had to go to court on that day, so I went to the office 1 day before interview to reschedule my interview appointment with the court letter, and they rescheduled us again on 02/16/07.

We're so nervous right now, cause 2nd interview doesn't seem to be a good sign, right? And my wife used to be arrested for having opened alcohol in the car, too.

Is this gonna be a big problems and gonna effect my applications?

Do they usually check both of our backgrounds or just mine? (the applicant).

Since they had the court letter that I gave them, will they ask questions regarding her arrest? (I've never been arrested or done anythihg wrong, thou)

Will they seperate us? and give us hard times?

You think we will know the result on the spot since we've been waiting for so long already?

We're praparing everything as best as we can now, just to make sure we'll get the the answers right. We have amost all the joint papers that they required. The only things we don't have is Car Title, Car insurance, cause she doesn't drive.

Anyone has been in this kind of situation before, please give me some advices. That will be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate that.

It's gonna be our initial interview for GC.

Yes, I walked in to reschedule my interview because I didn't want to send it by mail, and I would like to know on the spot when the interview is gonna be. So I recommend you to just walk in to the room# that is shown in the letter and tell them what's going on, make sure you bring some proof if you have one.

I'm not sure if you have to infopass, because mine is like last minute thing.

Thanks for you advice, and good luck to your interview.

Kittake said:
Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate that.

It's gonna be our initial interview for GC.

Yes, I walked in to reschedule my interview because I didn't want to send it by mail, and I would like to know on the spot when the interview is gonna be. So I recommend you to just walk in to the room# that is shown in the letter and tell them what's going on, make sure you bring some proof if you have one.

I'm not sure if you have to infopass, because mine is like last minute thing.