240 A (a) granted can I get citizenship?

srab

Registered Users (C)
Last year I was granted cancellation of removal under section 240A (a). When i spoke with my lawyer I remember that he said once I am granted the 240A (a) that applying would be just a straight application

I applied for us naturalization and I have my interview set for May 21...

was wondering ( I am feeling a bit nervous) if anyone has experience in this?

thank you all

It depends on why you were in removal proceedings, and if/how/when it relates to how you got the green card. Your lawyer who knows the specific details of your case can answer your questions better than we can.

It depends on why you were in removal proceedings, and if/how/when it relates to how you got the green card. Your lawyer who knows the specific details of your case can answer your questions better than we can.

I had applied for n400 naturalization but it triggered a deportation proceeding. They found that I am of good moral character and granted me the cancellation of removal under 240A (a).My attorney said that my past felony would no longer be a problem to apply for citizenship now that I was granted the 240A (a). So I went at it alone this time and applied again for n400 but the nervousness and doubt is creeping in as the date gets closer and was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience

Well, they can't start deportation proceedings again for the same offence, but it does not mean your N-400 would be approved. The IO may think that your past felony does not speak well of your good moral character and may deny your N-400. By the way, how long ago was your felony and when did you finish serving your sentence (probation, suspended senetence, etc)? If it was within 5 years of today, your N-400 would likely be denied.

Well, they can't start deportation proceedings again for the same offence, but it does not mean your N-400 would be approved. The IO may think that your past felony does not speak well of your good moral character and may deny your N-400. By the way, how long ago was your felony and when did you finish serving your sentence (probation, suspended senetence, etc)? If it was within 5 years of today, your N-400 would likely be denied.

The offense is over 12 years ago and probation ended over 8-9 yrs ago or so, I wonder why my attorney said that it would be an easy application now that I got relief and they are very experienced in this matter, wish me luck

*** Update***
Went to my interview today and since I had that felony they said a decision could not be made about my application and was referred to a supervisor: 2 hours later received a call that I have been approved for Citizenship and to wait for my letter for oath ceremony!!! Was told hopefully that I can get in for next month the June 27th

just so people can know that it is possible to get citizenship but if you do have a felony and do apply it most likely will trigger deportation hearing first..

all the best luck to everyone here

*** Update***
Went to my interview today and since I had that felony they said a decision could not be made about my application and was referred to a supervisor: 2 hours later received a call that I have been approved for Citizenship and to wait for my letter for oath ceremony!!! Was told hopefully that I can get in for next month the June 27th

just so people can know that it is possible to get citizenship but if you do have a felony and do apply it most likely will trigger deportation hearing first..

all the best luck to everyone here
What was your felony charge?