232 days

Nickmbb

Registered Users (C)
My stepson applied for asylum and was given his A# - 232 days ago....been interviewed and fingerprinted...and now all we get is ...application still pending. He is getting very distraught about this, being that he cant work a real job yet or do anything here cept wait. How long does this take?

Nick

Hate to sound discouraging, but my asylum case was pending for 800 days and my permanent residency application is surely creeping towards its 2000 days mark. :( With the INS there's no way to predict anything. Welcome to the reality of being an asylee in the USA. :mad: Here I just have to agree with one of the forum's participant's reflection on the subject: "you'd better be a dog than an asylee"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok give me a break. As an Asylee you can work and travel freely. Ask those people who do not have any status and cannot travel anywhere. Is it better to be them or be an asylee?

True that cap was crazy but that was lifted and I feel its better now than before as to processing applications. Some poor folks are stuck in name check so what can you do?

Hang in there. Be happy with what you got.

wantmygcnow
Probably, you and I have different understanding of what "freely" means. To me "freely" means that you absolutely do not need to obtain any kind of permits for which you need to pay very hefty fees just to be able to travel(this is not to mention that it takes an indefinite period of time for the RTD to be processed and it is valid for just one year) and work. Sorry, I have to disagree with you on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning said:
wantmygcnow
Probably, you and I have different understanding of what "freely" means. To me "freely" means that you absolutely do not need to obtain any kind of permits for which you need to pay very hefty fees just to be able to travel(this is not to mention that it takes an indefinite period of time for the RTD to be processed and it is valid for just one year) and work. Sorry, I have to disagree with you on that.

it is takign 1 month to get a RTD now, look at the processing dates. You can get a visa to anywhere in a few days...What else you need morning? Granted USC dont' go through this but we are immigrants, its not our privilege yet. If you are born in a country like your COP, then you can ask for benefits. It takes time until you become of this country. Your kids will not see the problems you are seeing...Right?

wantmygcnow said:
it is takign 1 month to get a RTD now, look at the processing dates. You can get a visa to anywhere in a few days...What else you need morning? Granted USC dont' go through this but we are immigrants, its not our privilege yet. If you are born in a country like your COP, then you can ask for benefits. It takes time until you become of this country. Your kids will not see the problems you are seeing...Right?

Sorry, but as i can see from the original post this guy is not even an asylee yet, his application is still pending, he did not get referred to the IJ yet, neither he was approved, he is just hanging in the middle of nowhere, am I right? In this case what he can do? Can he really travel?

wantmygcnow
What else you need morning?
(My screen name is Morning, by the way.) ;)
What do I want? Freedom and life with dignity. Or am I asking too much? You're right, it takes time, but in my case and a whole bunch of others processing has been unjustifiably long and, unfortunately, I have a number of legitimate reasons to be unhappy with the handling of my case. Remember yourself just a few months ago, before you received your coveted piece of plastic? And I don't mean to be rude, but your screen name tells something, too. :p

Morning said:
wantmygcnow
What else you need morning?
(My screen name is Morning, by the way.) ;)
What do I want? Freedom and life with dignity. Or am I asking too much? You're right, it takes time, but in my case and a whole bunch of others processing has been unjustifiably long and, unfortunately, I have a number of legitimate reasons to be unhappy with the handling of my case. Remember yourself just a few months ago, before you received your coveted piece of plastic? And I don't mean to be rude, but your screen name tells something, too. :p

Morning don't forget that US citizens have to pay for US Passport also (around 85$). I recently applied for one for my son and wait time was 45 days. In this country u have to pay for everything.

ayyubov
Did you ever apply for EAD? And if you did, how many times? I have nothing against paying reasonable fees. These $85 is nothing if you consider the passport is valid for 7 years. RTD, on the other hand is almost $200 and valid for just one year, considering you are lucky to receive one in less that four months. What was going on with asylees in the late nineties is a highway robbery: the INS was squeezing these fees from those who could least afford to pay them. Did you read the stories on this board where people were saying that they simply could not put together enough money to pay the adjustment of status application fee?