180 days clause of I-485

syrg

Hi Guys,

I need some clarification on 180 days clause of I-485.

I work for a Consulting firm.

My I-140 is approved and I have completed 180 days of I-485 filing on the 29th of last month.

I was rolled off from my client last week.

My Parent Company's (Consulting) Lawyer (who filed my GC) say's since I got I-140 approved and completed 180 days in 485, I can change the employer, but still the client (or a consulting firm If I join a new firm) has to be from the city from where she filed...Otherwise If I change my city of residence from where she filed and If I work for a client who is not in the same city from where she filed...My GC Process has to be started all over again.

If that's the case then what's the point in completing 6 months and trying to avail portability for I-485.

I am not sure how this portability works for a person who complets 6 months.

Could any of u guys share ur experiences on this.

Thanks in advance.

syrg

Syrg

My Parent Company's (Consulting) Lawyer (who filed my GC) say's since I got I-140 approved and completed 180 days in 485, I can change the employer, but still the client (or a consulting firm If I join a new firm) has to be from the city from where she filed...Otherwise If I change my city of residence from where she filed and If I work for a client who is not in the same city from where she filed...My GC Process has to be started all over again.

I saw postings here from guys who used AC21 moved from coast to coast and got their approvals. If you change residence file AR11 form. Actually I myself an AC21 case, joined a consulting company in NJ itself, but the client is in Indiana. I guess it should not be a problem as long as you have a job with the same job description.

Hi syrg,
Give a slap to your inefficient Lawyer. The Ac21 law does not say
that a person has to change job within the same area. AC21 act
imposes restrictions only on nature of job and length of time your application is pending. So as long as you satisfy these two requirements nobody can stop you. There will only be grumbles, but no action.
-Satish