16 months left on second H1B...options

Canada2USA

Registered Users (C)
My company is moving forward with a green card for me, but I'm thinking about going to another tech company. I'm Canadian and live in Washington state. I'm looking at getting a job with a large technology company in the area. Am I likely to have enough time left to get a green card with either company? Any ideas on what my strategies are moving forward? Also, are there any sites that explain the green card process in a straight forward way that a normal human can understand? I've been googling for a while and it seems that all of the explanations were written by a spanish android with Tourettes. Please help.

Since you have 16 months left on your H-1B, it's not too late to start the GC process. You can start to process the GC through your employer - please make sure to file the PERM Labor Certification before the completion of 5-th year on H-1B. Under this condition, you are entitled for yearly H-1B extension till your I-485 is adjudicated. Now, if your country of chargeability falls under the retrogressed countries list, you will get a one-time 3-year extension upon I-140 approval.