12 year old misedemenour - will it cause problems today in my citizenship?

parora

Registered Users (C)
All - have a question on if my police record will cause issues with my citizenship.

While in college (on F1 visa) , i was involved in a prack (theft) that resulted in a misdemeanor. I never went to jail (zero jail time), paid a $200 fine, was on probation for 1 year and did 15 hours of community service. I was 19. I am now 32, got my GC (provided all papers and did not lie about my 'event' in college, did the fingerprinting etc.) and am eligible for citizenship. Everything else is perfect (residency requirements, no tickets in last 5 years etc.)

Will my record from 12+ years ago cause 'moral turpitude' issues in my citizenship application. I heard that if you have demonstrated 'good moral character' in the last 5-10 years then you are OK?

HELP?

puneet

I would talk to an Immigration Attorney, write a detailed explanation of the event with the N-400 application along with all court documents you can muster relating to that event.

I don't think there is any time window on USCIS' definition of moral character and is probably very subjective and depends on the infraction.

All - have a question on if my police record will cause issues with my citizenship.

While in college (on F1 visa) , i was involved in a prack (theft) that resulted in a misdemeanor. I never went to jail (zero jail time), paid a $200 fine, was on probation for 1 year and did 15 hours of community service. I was 19. I am now 32, got my GC (provided all papers and did not lie about my 'event' in college, did the fingerprinting etc.) and am eligible for citizenship. Everything else is perfect (residency requirements, no tickets in last 5 years etc.)

Will my record from 12+ years ago cause 'moral turpitude' issues in my citizenship application. I heard that if you have demonstrated 'good moral character' in the last 5-10 years then you are OK?

HELP?

puneet
Though it is true that generally USCIS considers the past 5 years actions for Moral Turpitude issues, they can go further back.

Please get a consultation with an immigration lawyer who specializes in criminal cases and ask detailed questions BEFORE applying for your citizenship. The money will be well spent.