Using Unemployment Insurance during COVID-19

nkpryor

My wife (who originally came to the U.S. on a K-1 visa, but went through the whole process and has been a Permanent Resident for 9+ years now) just lost her job because of this COVID-19 Coronavirus. We live in California, and according to the EDD website anyone who's lost a job due to the COVID-19 virus can apply for unemployment insurance. My wife is currently in the middle of her Naturalization process (we applied in Jan 2020). So if she did this, would it negatively impact that Naturalization process? Especially with the new changes that were made to the "public charge" details by the Trump administration.

Would really love some guidance with this. Losing my wife's income during this virus has really hit our wallets, and getting the UI would be very helpful.

unemployment insurance is not a public charge (and public charge anyway is not a consideration in naturalization). she’s fine claiming it. Sorry she’s lost her job and hope we all get through this as quickly as possible.

unemployment insurance is not a public charge (and public charge anyway is not a consideration in naturalization). she’s fine claiming it. Sorry she’s lost her job and hope we all get through this as quickly as possible.

Thanks for that answer! I've come to that conclusion as well. Thank you for confirming this for me!

Not only is unemployment insurance not considered for public charge determination, public charge doesn't matter for naturalization anyway.