Changes Coming on Aug 21- Be Aware

Joe Biden released a 100 page long policy proposal for his campaign. He only mentions that he will abolish "Remain in Mexico" and "Third Safe country" rules. Nothing said about the new EAD rules

This is just one rule: Applicant must seek protection in the country they first entered after leaving their home country. This is just one rule. Like I said above, the rule is being blocked by judge on a technicality: it wasn't implemented correctly.

that sucks. I recall that I had a 3 hr transit via Moscow before I landed here so was I supposed to seek asylum there?

that sucks. I recall that I had a 3 hr transit via Moscow before I landed here so was I supposed to seek asylum there?
:). No. Transiting doesn't count because you were theoretically not admitted to that country. They mean those who have crossed the border into a third country, even if they are not processed, as long as they are inside the country. Transit lounges are not considered being inside a third country.

I can only imagine the horror of Russian asylum process.

They mean those who have crossed the border into a third country, even if they are not processed, as long as they are inside the country.
Actually rules said about 14 days in foreign country.

First, this rule would require a decision-maker to consider whether an alien has spent more than 14 days in any one country that permitted application for refugee, asylee, or similar protections prior to entering or arriving in the United States. Second, this rule would make transit through more than one country prior to arrival in the United States a significant adverse factor. Both of these factors are supported by existing law surrounding firm resettlement and aliens who can be removed to a safe third country.

Probably a good script for the SAW franchise. I would not have lived to tell the tale
It’s probably easy to apply than in U.S. And Russian law require to make a decision within 3 months.
But just chances to be granted pretty low.

I have just been seeing reports regarding Trump signing a new 'big executive order on immigration' in the next four weeks as reported HERE and HERE. Does anybody know what this order will include? I can't find any details. This, doesn't look good at all. This will be on top of all the other immigration executive orders + rule changes by USCIS. This doesn't look good at all.

He is talking about "merit based" immigration system....I don't know what that means....I bet its a cover. I think the one thing for all of us to accept is, all visas/etc will never be the same, requirements will be changed. With Congress sitting on dozens of immigration bills and doing nothing for the last 20+ years, these orders will probably be the law for the foreseeable future.

I have just been seeing reports regarding Trump signing a new 'big executive order on immigration' in the next four weeks as reported HERE and HERE. Does anybody know what this order will include? I can't find any details. This, doesn't look good at all. This will be on top of all the other immigration executive orders + rule changes by USCIS. This doesn't look good at all.

He is talking about "merit based" immigration system....I don't know what that means....I bet its a cover. I think the one thing for all of us to accept is, all visas/etc will never be the same, requirements will be changed. With Congress sitting on dozens of immigration bills and doing nothing for the last 20+ years, these orders will probably be the law for the foreseeable future.
The merit-based system was proposed last year by Jared Kushner. Of course, the Congress will never pass it so Trump is forcing it down their throat via an executive order. It won't go into effect because the USCIS is not functioning right now and Biden will rescind all Trump's EOs regarding immigration once he takes over.

i recall reading that the “merit based system” is related to employment visas being granted to highest salaries rather than by lottery. This can be done by EO or rule making. I dont think it will affect asylum but who knows what else is in there. The HB1 visa and EB based green cards are highly abused by consulting companies to replace Americans and both democrats and republicans have been fighting against it. But Im sure now the dems might oppose it If trump proposes it. Actually it’s not a bad idea to be honest.

I think, 'Americans First' is how they are designing the system. There is merit that there has been some loopholes in the current system for employment based visas. Life I have always said, these changes will take years to reverse, years of court battles, etc. Meanwhile, the affected people will be stuck. The rules etc are not know yet but I can safely bet that:
a) If you are part of upper management in 'WITCHES' companies, you need to completely change how you do your business: You need to fill most, perhaps all of your American positions with Americans, not imported labor.
b) Similarly, if you are part of TECH relying on imported labor, you need to change your business model. Importing engineers is a losing situation.
c) If you here or abroad, seeking employment based visas, you need to reconsider your strategy.
d) The administration doesn't like family immigration. They have toughened the income requirements. But I bet they are busy working on additional options to tighten the program. I don't know if they will be bold enough to even go after immigration for immediate relatives of Americans.

I think, 'Americans First' is how they are designing the system. There is merit that there has been some loopholes in the current system for employment based visas. Life I have always said, these changes will take years to reverse, years of court battles, etc. Meanwhile, the affected people will be stuck. The rules etc are not know yet but I can safely bet that:
a) If you are part of upper management in 'WITCHES' companies, you need to completely change how you do your business: You need to fill most, perhaps all of your American positions with Americans, not imported labor.
b) Similarly, if you are part of TECH relying on imported labor, you need to change your business model. Importing engineers is a losing situation.
c) If you here or abroad, seeking employment based visas, you need to reconsider your strategy.
d) The administration doesn't like family immigration. They have toughened the income requirements. But I bet they are busy working on additional options to tighten the program. I don't know if they will be bold enough to even go after immigration for immediate relatives of Americans.

Never heard of Witches companies-is that some kind of colloquialism? Anyway, the whole point is that hiring Americans first does make good sense, and has been the democratic platform as well. The HB1 visa and EB GCs are not good for employees or Americans, the only ones who prosper are the employers by abusing the system hence you see them coming out to oppose any change. I think the Visa should be restored back to its original intent which is for scientists, doctors, entrepreneurs etc. and not for employers to bring in cheaper workers from overseas. I know quite some people with a tech background (both Americans and GC holders) from good schools who are struggling to get a job as they get priced out of the market by the cheap labor. Instead of focusing on this, the administration is trying to attack the most vulnerable such as Asylees refugees and DACA. If they actually do that, I will welcome such a move. There are reports that the Chinese are sneaking in spies using this system as well...

As we know this immigration bills go forever like in the past. We can't control it. Those discussion they start during election time.

We should focus on what can be done, if possible, to stop proposed changes to Asylum process

Hello,
I applied for my aslum earlier this year and i received my acknowledgement letter on april 27.
I was wondering if the new upcoming rules next month would affect my already pending application?
Will I be able to apply for EAD 150 days from the acknowledgement date or will i have to wait for 365 days according to the new rules?
Thank you

Hello,
I applied for my aslum earlier this year and i received my acknowledgement letter on april 27.
I was wondering if the new upcoming rules next month would affect my already pending application?
Will I be able to apply for EAD 150 days from the acknowledgement date or will i have to wait for 365 days according to the new rules?
Thank you
When did you apply & which office?

Hello,
Thank you
As asylee applicants, we are exposed: Noone, very few organizations will come to our defense, if the govt. decides to change things. IE: The universities came together to prevent a new rule against F1 students from being implemented. To answer your question: Nobody knows. While there are rules coming that are known, the admin has others nobody knows about. So we don't know if the new rules will affect your application. You just have to wait and see. Good luck.

Hello,
Thank you
Yes. you must wait 365 days because you won't be eligible to apply for EAD by the effective date of the rule (Aug 25). It is having a pending EAD application before the effective date that will exempt you from 365-days rule not merely having a pending asylum. However, if you failed to file I-589 after being in the US for longer than one year, this rule will not affect your future EAD application. Make sure you won't cause any delays in your case by April 2021, including transferring to another asylum office, because that's also another bar to initial EAD application.