My Travel Experience - RTD no Green Card

You wont give them anything! I left mine at home. You dont need to surrender it because the i-94 form is the same used for non-immigrants...DONT WORRY!!!! And yes, I have two i-94s. They will give you a new one becuase when you apply for your GC, on the form, it askes for the last entry. So, if you didn't leave the country , you dont need to put anything then BUT if you left the country using only your RTD THEN you need to state it the last entry, SIMPLE, HUH?

I went to Norway using my RTD. I checked in using the auto-check-in at LAX with my RTD, that's it! "Visas depend on your nationality. I am from Brazil and I don't need a visa to go to Europe".

Flying back, out of Frankfurt, They checked my RTD, I went through security and that's it!

Landing in Dulles International, I presented my RTD to the IO and he asked me " Do you have a GC? And I said No! I'm in process of getting one"

Since 2006, RTD holders traveling without a GC are sent to Secondary Inspection to get a new i-94.

So, he sent me to the little room "full of non-immigrants- I was a bit scared" but 5 min later the IO called me and said " Are you on a RTD right?" And I said "Yes", then he told me "you just need a new i-94 then you are good to go"

Then we chatted a little bit while he was filling the form and I asked him "In the future, can I use my GC with my NP?" He said "Yes, there is no problem at all"

After that I went to Italy, Turkey, Greece, Germany using my NP+GC and I never had problems whatsoever!

execuse me, can you explain in more details? this is very important to me and I would appreciate any help a lot.
Do you mean I have to keep the initial I-94 with me, and I will be given a new one "so I have 2" when re entering the states? is that what you mean? I have just read on the back of my I-94 that I have to surrender it to the transportation agency "airline" when I leave the states. what should I do? I am going to mexico and it states if going to Mexico or Canada I should give it to US officer "so not the airline in this case or what?!!"

thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
You wont give them anything! I left mine at home. You dont need to surrender it because the i-94 form is the same used for non-immigrants...DONT WORRY!!!! And yes, I have two i-94s. They will give you a new one becuase when you apply for your GC, on the form, it askes for the last entry. So, if you didn't leave the country , you dont need to put anything then BUT if you left the country using only your RTD THEN you need to state it the last entry, SIMPLE, HUH?

I went to Norway using my RTD. I checked in using the auto-check-in at LAX with my RTD, that's it! "Visas depend on your nationality. I am from Brazil and I don't need a visa to go to Europe".

Flying back, out of Frankfurt, They checked my RTD, I went through security and that's it!

Landing in Dulles International, I presented my RTD to the IO and he asked me " Do you have a GC? And I said No! I'm in process of getting one"

Since 2006, RTD holders traveling without a GC are sent to Secondary Inspection to get a new i-94.

So, he sent me to the little room "full of non-immigrants- I was a bit scared" but 5 min later the IO called me and said " Are you on a RTD right?" And I said "Yes", then he told me "you just need a new i-94 then you are good to go"

Then we chatted a little bit while he was filling the form and I asked him "In the future, can I use my GC with my NP?" He said "Yes, there is no problem at all"

After that I went to Italy, Turkey, Greece, Germany using my NP+GC and I never had problems whatsoever!

gandrud, thank you so much, you do not know how your reply was helpful for me.
I really appreciate that.

Thank you! I m thinking about going to Europe ( only the places where I don’t need Visa) using my RTD. I hope it will go through smooth. I heard in Europe they don’t really check your RTD while traveling through train... is it true?

Thank you! I m thinking about going to Europe ( only the places where I don’t need Visa) using my RTD. I hope it will go through smooth. I heard in Europe they don’t really check your RTD while traveling through train... is it true?
from a personal experience I have been to Europe 4 times using my RTD checks a rare on trains it happened to me one time taking the train from Frankfurt to Paris they checked everyone on the train they looked at the RTD and looked at me then gave it back to me no problem also I flew to many cities around the Schengen area in Germany France Greece Italy Spain Netherlands and I know other folks with RTD been to Portugal Denmark Austria Czech and not a single problem going around at all

from a personal experience I have been to Europe 4 times using my RTD checks a rare on trains it happened to me one time taking the train from Frankfurt to Paris they checked everyone on the train they looked at the RTD and looked at me then gave it back to me no problem also I flew to many cities around the Schengen area in Germany France Greece Italy Spain Netherlands and I know other folks with RTD been to Portugal Denmark Austria Czech and not a single problem going around at all

So they got RTD stamped with the Schengen Visa or just the entry stamp at Frankfurt, Brussels, Amsterdam or Tagel. Or a single entry with RTD is enough?

Hi, I am thinking about going to Germany or Hungary next year to meet my relatives (traveling NOT to my birth country).
Will have RTD only , no GC YET. I am very worried, as I have't traveled anywhere since 2014.
So, What do you recommend to take with me except of RTD?
Which cities/countries are best for first trip since I came to the US?
THANK YOU!

Hi, I am thinking about going to Germany or Hungary next year to meet my relatives (traveling NOT to my birth country).
Will have RTD only , no GC YET. I am very worried, as I have't traveled anywhere since 2014.
So, What do you recommend to take with me except of RTD?
Which cities/countries are best for first trip since I came to the US?
THANK YOU!
All what you need is RTD and to print the article from the website of the german mission in the us saying that RTD holders don’t need a visa in case you need to show it to the airlines and it’s better for you to fly to Germany since it’s your first time but you should be alright

Did you get the Visa before departing us ?

Which countries can Us Asylee can travel to without visa?
I checked with Hungary and Netherlands. They said yes... I can travel without visa. Which other countries can I travel to

Which countries can Us Asylee can travel to without visa?
I checked with Hungary and Netherlands. They said yes... I can travel without visa. Which other countries can I travel to
you can also visit all the Schengen countries as long as you enter the Schengen area from one of the following countries(visa free for RTD holders) : Germany - Belgium -netherlands -hungary-slovakia besides that you can visit Bosnia -croatia - Montenegro- Cyprus all visa free

you can also visit all the Schengen countries as long as you enter the Schengen area from one of the following countries(visa free for RTD holders) : Germany - Belgium -netherlands -hungary-slovakia besides that you can visit Bosnia -croatia - Montenegro- Cyprus all visa free
Clarification: are you saying if I go to Hungary first, I can go to France, and Austria too... since they are part of Schengen countries?

Thank you for the help!

What! For real... that’s awesome. I have a whole month off in April -May. I Want to explore Europe for one whole month. If Thts true, I m gonna hv a great time. Oh Man! Thank you....can’t wait. I assume you are saying that based on your personal experience... I saw that you hv been to Europe 4 times.

What! For real... that’s awesome. I have a whole month off in April -May. I Want to explore Europe for one whole month. If Thts true, I m gonna hv a great time. Oh Man! Thank you....can’t wait. I assume you are saying that based on your personal experience... I saw that you hv been to Europe 4 times.
Yes been to Europe 4 time and heading to Europe again in January (belgium, Greece, Switzerland, spain) and from a personal experience you can go anywhere in the Schengen Area as long as you enter the Schengen Area from one of the countries I mentioned above

Yes been to Europe 4 time and heading to Europe again in January (belgium, Greece, Switzerland, spain) and from a personal experience you can go anywhere in the Schengen Area as long as you enter the Schengen Area from one of the countries I mentioned above
Thts good to hear. I hv applied for green card last month. Hopefully I get the card by April, which seems unlikely. But if I can get it, Thts will be great. I also heard that take your original I-94 away from ya and give you new one when you get back. Do you know anything about that. Would our new I-94 would also say indefinate stay!