3 years degree EB3, 140 at NSC - please advice

Change of attorney

Hi gurus
I am about to file my 485 in june but would like to change my attorney for filing my 485. My company is ok with that but my present employers attorney is saying that if I pay them $xxx then only they will give the documents or file to me.

I have the copies of my labor & 140 approvals with me. I also have empl. verification letter with me already. My new attorney is saying if I have the copy of 140 with me then she does not need anything from my file from old attorneys office.

Since I have copy of labor and 140 is it alright for me to change attorney without paying my old attorney anything and not needing any thing from the file?

By the way will there be any important documents in the file other than the labor & 140? My case did not have any RFE's?

Thanks.

I AM ALSO IN SAME BOAT.
MY CASE IS ALSO REJECTED AT NSC AFTER SUBMITTING THE SAME EVALUATION DONE THRU THE DEGREEPEOPLE.COM
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY.

Well the evaluation may/may not work. As I had the same evaluation done thru thedegreepeople.com and was it rejected by the infamous NSC. So its your luck.

Good luck folks

I AM ALSO IN SAME BOAT.
MY CASE IS ALSO REJECTED AT NSC AFTER SUBMITTING THE SAME EVALUATION DONE THRU THE DEGREEPEOPLE.COM
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY.

Check with your lawyer and see if you can apply a new I-140 to Texas by applying online at www.uscis.gov/ We tell all of our clients this. If you had an RFE from NSC then you had to respond there but we are seewing 90% approvals with a new I-140 to Texas. We advise our clientst this from the beginning. Once you have an RFE from NSC there is a problem because NSC is not as reasonable as TSC and the RFE red-tags the file sometimes.

If you send us the new RFE or Denial we can advise (no charge) on how to file an MTR. Chances are they did not address all of the evidence which they are required to do by law.

4 yrs Bachelors and 1.5 yrs Masters

Dear Experts,
Do you know if NSC accepts 4 yrs bachelors and 1.5 yrs masters as equivalent to US Masters? can they deny the case saying 1.5 yrs masters is not equivalent to US Masters?

thanks.

Check here for good news for combination of degrees
http://www.immigration-law.com/
Go to Breaking News menu on your left and
search for "06/01/2007: NSC's General Guidelines for EB-2 Educational Requirements and EB-3 Education Requirements"

Find out answer for your own question.

Good Luck :)

Dear Experts,
Do you know if NSC accepts 4 yrs bachelors and 1.5 yrs masters as equivalent to US Masters? can they deny the case saying 1.5 yrs masters is not equivalent to US Masters?

thanks.

3+2 = 4+ 1 year

Check here for good news for combination of degrees
http://www.immigration-law.com/
Go to Breaking News menu on your left and
search for "06/01/2007: NSC's General Guidelines for EB-2 Educational Requirements and EB-3 Education Requirements"

Find out answer for your own question.

Good Luck :)

That site did not post the guidelines accurately - though it was close. You have to go to the source and cannot trust any "interpretations" no matter how well intended. I am attaching copies of the relevant questions - have your lawyers interpret them and quote them in a brief.
I want to add one more thing - these rules use words like "generally", and clearly state each case is viewed on a case by case basis. Further there have been other guidelines in the past that have been ignored by the service. Keep in mind that they ignore the circuit court case of Grace Methodist as well. Nothing but Federal Court cases are binding.
That said, you have a good chance for approval of a 3+2 being shown equivalent to a US bachelor's degree. The extra one year of study is of no value to anyone, by the way.

Thanks for your reply.

My I140 - skilled petition is pending with NSC, see my signature for dates.
I have 3 year commerce degree with 2 year APTECH diploma.
My labor column 14 says for College Degree Required B.B.A/B.s
under College it is "X", under Major Filed of study - Computer Scirence/computer programming, under Experience Job offered - 2 years, Experience Related occupation - 2 years and Related occupation (specify) - Systems Analyst/ software engineer.

Column 15 says - Willing to accept foreign educational degrees.

What are my chances ?

SG

That site did not post the guidelines accurately - though it was close. You have to go to the source and cannot trust any "interpretations" no matter how well intended. I am attaching copies of the relevant questions - have your lawyers interpret them and quote them in a brief.
I want to add one more thing - these rules use words like "generally", and clearly state each case is viewed on a case by case basis. Further there have been other guidelines in the past that have been ignored by the service. Keep in mind that they ignore the circuit court case of Grace Methodist as well. Nothing but Federal Court cases are binding.
That said, you have a good chance for approval of a 3+2 being shown equivalent to a US bachelor's degree. The extra one year of study is of no value to anyone, by the way.

3+2

Thanks for your reply.

My I140 - skilled petition is pending with NSC, see my signature for dates.
I have 3 year commerce degree with 2 year APTECH diploma.
My labor column 14 says for College Degree Required B.B.A/B.s
under College it is "X", under Major Filed of study - Computer Scirence/computer programming, under Experience Job offered - 2 years, Experience Related occupation - 2 years and Related occupation (specify) - Systems Analyst/ software engineer.

Column 15 says - Willing to accept foreign educational degrees.

What are my chances ?

SG

From what I have read, APTECH is not approved by USCIS since it is not government recognized. However I have seen approvals and denials with the APTECH diploma in different circumstances. HOWEVER with the new guidelines you need a 3 year bachelor's degree + a 2 year MASTERS (not PGD) degree.
However, your chances will be determined by whose desk it lands on.

Did you file in Texas or NSC?

I would not worry until I got an RFE ... then you can deal with it at that time. Did you file PP?

Should you get an RFE I can review all of your documents and tell you what I think is your best way to go. Simply go to www.cciFree.com and send the documents and the RFE.

Until then relax as anything can happen at USCIS and none of our clients ever helped anything by worrying or losing sleep.

Thanks again for your reply. My case is filed in NSC and it is regular processing only.

As per the PDF file that you attached earlier - Page # 3 and bullet point # 3 says "Will accept combination of Degree and Diploma". I believe 3 year Degree is differently interpreted for 140 Professional worker or I140 Skilled worker. For Skilled worker, combination of degree/diploma/experience is accepted. See this link from USCIS http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=91919c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

My petition is for I140 skilled worker & i hope everything will be alright...for now i will sit tight and wait for the result. I'll keep you'll posted.

SG.

From what I have read, APTECH is not approved by USCIS since it is not government recognized. However I have seen approvals and denials with the APTECH diploma in different circumstances. HOWEVER with the new guidelines you need a 3 year bachelor's degree + a 2 year MASTERS (not PGD) degree.

I would not worry until I got an RFE ... then you can deal with it at that time. Did you file PP?

Should you get an RFE I can review all of your documents and tell you what I think is your best way to go. Simply go to www.cciFree.com and send the documents and the RFE.

Until then relax as anything can happen at USCIS and none of our clients ever helped anything by worrying or losing sleep.

My PD is January'2004 and got labor denied from NSC in december with reason education equivalnce issue. Lawyer filed AAO and its still waiting currently I am on 7th year extension running. My Education requirement say Bachelors - he forgot to put equivalet at last. I have 10 + 2 + 2 plus 14 years of IT expereience before start of this job and labor. Is their any chance with new guidelines that AAO will approve or I can followup one more time with them right now ? Any ideas

I understand you have 2 year degree and 14 years experience right?

It is better to file another labor with your correct degree and experience as backup incase your case is not approved in AAO.

This is just my thought and not an valid opinion.

SG
My PD is January'2004 and got labor denied from
NSC in december with reason education equivalnce issue. Lawyer filed AAO and its still waiting currently I am on 7th year extension running. My Education requirement say Bachelors - he forgot to put equivalet at last. I have 10 + 2 + 2 plus 14 years of IT expereience before start of this job and labor. Is their any chance with new guidelines that AAO will approve or I can followup one more time with them right now ? Any ideas

Do have the press release or notification from USCIs where it says that Aptech Diplomas or any other diplomas are not accpetable. If not, please don't misguide.

I have couple of friends who got approvals from NSC on these kind of diplomas. I have been watching USCIS press releases and groups since last 5 years, never heard anything like it except from you.

I know you are here to get new business. These new NSC guidelines could hamper you business, but please be fair

Thanks
MB

I understand you have 2 year degree and 14 years experience right?

It is better to file another labor with your correct degree and experience as backup incase your case is not approved in AAO.

This is just my thought and not an valid opinion.

SG

Correct I have onre more year of Computer Science Diploma from BITS . Evaluation we filed submitted says with all this and experience its equivalent to US Bachelors.

We are in process of filing new one but looking at this long queue new date of 2007 is going to be long wait.

Thanks - I will keep watching and see what happens

Skilled Vs Professional

Guys,

How would you know by looking at the Labor whether this labor is Skilled or professional?

Or is this determined at the time of filing I140?

Thanks for your response.

Aptech

Do have the press release or notification from USCIs where it says that Aptech Diplomas or any other diplomas are not accpetable. If not, please don't misguide.

I have couple of friends who got approvals from NSC on these kind of diplomas. I have been watching USCIS press releases and groups since last 5 years, never heard anything like it except from you.

I know you are here to get new business. These new NSC guidelines could hamper you business, but please be fair

Thanks
MB

I have a copy of a client's RFE that specifically states that APTECH is not accepted (email me and I will send you the the relevant section of that RFE sheila at danzig dot com). To show any degree or diploma as equivalent to a US accredited degree or diploma it must be recognized by the home government. This does not mean that they have sometimes slipped by.

By the way, those that know me know I am here to help and not drum up business. My business comes from lawyers and firms. If I feared the new guidelines why would I have uploaded them to this forum?

Here is a just-issued statement by the American Immigration Lawyers Assn (AILA) clarifying the guidelines. There is some mention of PGD's but none by name. It is yet more confusing and needs a lawyer to make a judgment call:

Liaison Committee Clarifies Recent NSC Comments on Degree Equivalency for EB-2 I-140s
Cite as "AILA Info Net Doc. No. 07060773 (posted Jun. 7, 2007)"

June 7, 2007 - In response to numerous inquiries received from attorneys and the growing evidence of possible misinterpretations of the Q&A involving EB-2 degree equivalency issues from the April 12, 2007 meeting at NSC (InfoNet Doc. No. 07060161, posted June 1, 2007), the NSC Liaison Committee wishes to add the following clarifying commentary to NSC's responses to Questions 1 and 2 dealing with degree equivalency for EB2 I-140 petitions:

1. Please note that the Q&As for Questions 1 and 2 are worded precisely and should be read carefully; attorneys should avoid paraphrasing or rewording both the questions and the answers, as this could lead to erroneous conclusions and expectations. Attorneys should not oversimplify NSC's answers because that can lead to misinterpretation and disappointment. Attorneys should also clearly understand that any attempt to bend or stretch NSC's answers to fit a given case is a calculated risk. The problem with degree equivalency "rules," and the main reason that simple interpretive rules for degree equivalency have not been articulated to date, is that there are many factors involved that make each case unique. For this reason, NSC has avoided stating blanket rules and has carefully phrased its answers in conditional terms. Examples of what can go wrong here are: there are many versions of post graduate diplomas, some are more credible than others; not all petitions contain complete documentation; some postgraduate diplomas are considered equivalent to master's degrees, some are not; etc. As always, the burden of proof is on the petitioner to demonstrate that the beneficiary meets the requirements for the position as stated on the approved labor certification.

2. NSC has not reversed its position on requiring single source degrees for bachelor's degree equivalency. Questions 1 and 2 are the best available expressions of NSC's interpretation of what is required to demonstrate equivalency of a foreign master's degree to a U.S. master's degree for EB-2 only. These interpretations should not be applied to bachelor's degree equivalency issues. The difference is that for master's degrees, NSC evaluates both the foreign master's degree and the underlying education, and will accept equivalent education for the bachelor's degree; whereas if a position requires a bachelor's degree with no specification of equivalency, NSC will require that the beneficiary have a U.S. bachelor's degree or single source foreign equivalent degree, not foreign equivalent education.

3. The most ambiguous and hence the riskiest situation is the 3 year bachelor's degree followed by a 2 year master's degree. NSC has left open the possibility that this could qualify for EB-2, but the burden of proof is on the petitioner to make that demonstration. Attorneys should not assume that the usual transcripts plus a conclusory credential evaluation will be sufficient. NSC generally accepts the view that a bachelor's and master's program together will take 6 years, and therefore, most 3 year bachelor programs with a 2 year master's degree will not qualify for EB-2. However, NSC did agree that if there is specific evidence in a particular case that the master's degree is equivalent to a U.S. master's degree, the evidence would be considered.

NSC's responses to Questions 1 and 2 are the clearest statements of the NSC's degree equivalency policies that have been offered to date. As with any liaison Q&A, they are subject to change and reinterpretation at any time and without notice.

- NSC Liaison Committee

Last edited by a moderator:
bsc(3)+msc(2)+pgdcsa(1)

Hi Sheila,
My case is pending at TSC under EB2 ( Masters + 2 years exp). I have Bsc(3)+MSc(2)+Pgdcsa(1) from govt recognized university. I have credential evaluation done through you in 2004 specifying that I have US Master's Equivalent.
The question is that under new guidelines that Credential Evaluation is still valid? The crux is, what are my chances of getting approved under these circumstances?

As i understand Sheila Danzig cannot predict what NSC might do for combination of degree, if you get RFE she can help you (ofcourse for huge amount of $) to respond your educational RFE.

Pl. be patient and see what happens. Iam also same boat with my I140 combination degree...if i get any response... i will definetly post my result.

Good Luck.

SG

Hi Sheila,
My case is pending at TSC under EB2 ( Masters + 2 years exp). I have Bsc(3)+MSc(2)+Pgdcsa(1) from govt recognized university. I have credential evaluation done through you in 2004 specifying that I have US Master's Equivalent.
The question is that under new guidelines that Credential Evaluation is still valid? The crux is, what are my chances of getting approved under these circumstances?

3+2+1

Hi Sheila,

I have seen this approved and denied. It depends on whose desk it lands on. I have been workin with an attorney who speaks and writes about USCIS "trends" regarding the 3 year degree and it is very hard to pin down.

Don't waste time worrying and you can deal with it IF you get an RFE.

If you are here to help, how come you charge $1200.00 for the detailed evaluations. You don't help for free, this is not help, there is a self intrest invlolved here.

I have a copy of a client's RFE that specifically states that APTECH is not accepted (email me and I will send you the the relevant section of that RFE sheila at danzig dot com). To show any degree or diploma as equivalent to a US accredited degree or diploma it must be recognized by the home government. This does not mean that they have sometimes slipped by.

By the way, those that know me know I am here to help and not drum up business. My business comes from lawyers and firms. If I feared the new guidelines why would I have uploaded them to this forum?

Here is a just-issued statement by the American Immigration Lawyers Assn (AILA) clarifying the guidelines. There is some mention of PGD's but none by name. It is yet more confusing and needs a lawyer to make a judgment call:

Liaison Committee Clarifies Recent NSC Comments on Degree Equivalency for EB-2 I-140s
Cite as "AILA Info Net Doc. No. 07060773 (posted Jun. 7, 2007)"

June 7, 2007 - In response to numerous inquiries received from attorneys and the growing evidence of possible misinterpretations of the Q&A involving EB-2 degree equivalency issues from the April 12, 2007 meeting at NSC (InfoNet Doc. No. 07060161, posted June 1, 2007), the NSC Liaison Committee wishes to add the following clarifying commentary to NSC's responses to Questions 1 and 2 dealing with degree equivalency for EB2 I-140 petitions:

1. Please note that the Q&As for Questions 1 and 2 are worded precisely and should be read carefully; attorneys should avoid paraphrasing or rewording both the questions and the answers, as this could lead to erroneous conclusions and expectations. Attorneys should not oversimplify NSC's answers because that can lead to misinterpretation and disappointment. Attorneys should also clearly understand that any attempt to bend or stretch NSC's answers to fit a given case is a calculated risk. The problem with degree equivalency "rules," and the main reason that simple interpretive rules for degree equivalency have not been articulated to date, is that there are many factors involved that make each case unique. For this reason, NSC has avoided stating blanket rules and has carefully phrased its answers in conditional terms. Examples of what can go wrong here are: there are many versions of post graduate diplomas, some are more credible than others; not all petitions contain complete documentation; some postgraduate diplomas are considered equivalent to master's degrees, some are not; etc. As always, the burden of proof is on the petitioner to demonstrate that the beneficiary meets the requirements for the position as stated on the approved labor certification.

2. NSC has not reversed its position on requiring single source degrees for bachelor's degree equivalency. Questions 1 and 2 are the best available expressions of NSC's interpretation of what is required to demonstrate equivalency of a foreign master's degree to a U.S. master's degree for EB-2 only. These interpretations should not be applied to bachelor's degree equivalency issues. The difference is that for master's degrees, NSC evaluates both the foreign master's degree and the underlying education, and will accept equivalent education for the bachelor's degree; whereas if a position requires a bachelor's degree with no specification of equivalency, NSC will require that the beneficiary have a U.S. bachelor's degree or single source foreign equivalent degree, not foreign equivalent education.

3. The most ambiguous and hence the riskiest situation is the 3 year bachelor's degree followed by a 2 year master's degree. NSC has left open the possibility that this could qualify for EB-2, but the burden of proof is on the petitioner to make that demonstration. Attorneys should not assume that the usual transcripts plus a conclusory credential evaluation will be sufficient. NSC generally accepts the view that a bachelor's and master's program together will take 6 years, and therefore, most 3 year bachelor programs with a 2 year master's degree will not qualify for EB-2. However, NSC did agree that if there is specific evidence in a particular case that the master's degree is equivalent to a U.S. master's degree, the evidence would be considered.

NSC's responses to Questions 1 and 2 are the clearest statements of the NSC's degree equivalency policies that have been offered to date. As with any liaison Q&A, they are subject to change and reinterpretation at any time and without notice.

- NSC Liaison Committee

Progressive Diploma

Hi Friends,
One more quick question regarding
"if the postgraduate diploma is determined to be progressive postgraduate education that is a continuation of the 3 yr bachelor’s degree or the 2yr master’s degree it is possible that this would be considered the
equivalent to a U.S. Master’s degree"

What is the meaning of "Progressive Postgraduate Education" for diploma? Please give example also. Does it means continuous from the same institution?