Yellow Letter before Interview

SAM33

Registered Users (C)
Does everyone gets this yellow letter? and someone please list all items on this yellow letter? Do IO ask for birth certificate from everyone?

It's a generic letter sent out to applicants from the NBC and serves as a suggested list of documents to bring to the interview. It doesn't mean that the IO will ask for the documents listed , but that he/she may.

They may ask? and that's why I want to know, what is on this yellow letter. For those of you, who has received this yellow letter, can someone please list all those items.

They may ask? and that's why I want to know, what is on this yellow letter. For those of you, who has received this yellow letter, can someone please list all those items.

I haven't received one yet. But I am preparing the list based on this thread. I am positive that this list covers almost everything they may ask. I hope this satisfies you.

Interesting coz I never got a yellow letter either...just a white document check list is all that came with the interview letter. Still about 3 weeks remaining for the interview..maybe I will get it by then also...

I never got a yellow letter too - I guess I am just going with the documents listed in the white notice I got + the suggestions in this forum..

I got a yellow letter too back in January 2009.

They asked me to bring at the inaturalization nterview a certified copy
of my kid's birth certificate and the driver's license.

However they did not send me a invitation to the interview.

My wife got a yellow letter too just before her interview.

I got a yellow letter too back in January 2009.

They asked me to bring at the inaturalization nterview a certified copy
of my kid's birth certificate and the driver's license.

However they did not send me a invitation to the interview.

My wife got a yellow letter too just before her interview.

You should call USCIS and inquire about it.

I received the yellow document check list letter, asking me to bring Driver's License, Form 1722 for 3 yrs tax returns, Proof of residence, Certified birth certificates of children.

What do they mean by "certified"? Is that same as the original?
If I bring original documents, do they return them or keep them?

..If I bring original documents, do they return them or keep them?

I haven't been to the interview, so I don't know. But I am inclined to believe, they would not keep the original with them. Certified birth certificate of a US born child is official copy issued by the birth registration agency in the area (city/town/village) where child was born. It can also mean a photocopy certified by a notary. For foreign born kids, if the birth certificate is not in English, a certified translation would be needed together with certified photocopy of original non-English birth certificate. This is my interpretation of it - those with interview experience can throw some more light.

Phillydude411,
I am from philly tooo. Let us keep in touch. See my signature. Fortunately or unfortunately I did not receive any letters so far

You cannot have a notarized copy of a birth certificate.
You'll need to order one (see below)

Q: Can I certify a copy of a birth or death certificate?
A: A Notary should not certify a copy of a birth or death certificate.
Refer the person instead to the state Bureau of Vital Statistics or county
clerk's office in the county where the birth occurred.
For foreign birth certificates, refer the person to the consulate of the country
of origin. Depending on state law, the Notary may be allowed to certify copies of
other documents that are in the possession of the constituent (i.e., a diploma).

----
I ordered two certified copies (one for my interview and one for my wife's interview) of the birth certificate from here:

vitalchek. com

My wife told me that the IO did not check the certified copy.

Best of luck,

Jack

Like the seniors here pointed out, it is just a normal letter and the list of requested documents varies case by case.

If you need to look at it, I have a scanned copy, PM me.

I have a follow up question on the certified birth copies. I was planning on getting it notarized. If thats not going to work.. what does certified copies mean? why cant the letter be more specific. Appreciate inputs.

Like the seniors here pointed out, it is just a normal letter and the list of requested documents varies case by case.

If you need to look at it, I have a scanned copy, PM me.

I have a follow up question on the certified birth copies. I was planning on getting it notarized. If thats not going to work.. what does certified copies mean? why cant the letter be more specific. Appreciate inputs.

For US born children you can order birth certificates from your state’s Bureau of Vital Statistics. Search for it on the Internet.
You will have to print an order form, fill out and sign, then send alone with your DL and a small fee. The certificate will have a razed state’s seal and official signature. And that’s what you need for the interview as well as for your own/your kids’ records.
You can also go to the court house and ask for a certified copy.
For non-US born children you need a translation, certified and notarized, attached in front of the photocopy of original document.

Does everyone gets this yellow letter? and someone please list all items on this yellow letter? Do IO ask for birth certificate from everyone?

I have a same question – does everyone gets those letters?
I have an interview in three days, but I never got a yellow, or white, or any other letters with list of things to bring to my interview…:confused:
I did, however, already sent copies of my DL, my kids BC and tax transcripts along with N-400. Maybe that’s why I never got a yellow/white letter?

I got yellow letter on 3/9/2009 but no interview letter and i called USCIS and they told me to wait because they can't see anything as of yet.Yellow letter shows list of items to bring:2 passport photos,travel documents including expired and current,last 3 years tax,proof of residence.What should I do?Thanks :)

USCIS RECEIVED N400:11/14/2008
FINGERPRINT DATE:12/09/2008
YELLOW LEETER:3/9/2009

I got yellow letter on 3/9/2009 but no interview letter and i called USCIS and they told me to wait because they can't see anything as of yet.Yellow letter shows list of items to bring:2 passport photos,travel documents including expired and current,last 3 years tax,proof of residence.What should I do?Thanks :)

USCIS RECEIVED N400:11/14/2008
FINGERPRINT DATE:12/09/2008
YELLOW LEETER:3/9/2009

You may try talking to a second tier information officer - looks like you should be getting interview letter soon based on time-lines of others for NYC region.

I have a same question – does everyone gets those letters?...

It looks like that the new process warrants issuances of such letters now a days - it's still a bit of mystery though for us, the applicants. Most get it, some don't. Also, interviewing officers don't seem to pay any attention to this letter based on what people here have written about their interview experiences; and there seems to be no correlation in terms of time-lines between getting this letter and interview letter.