wow!!

mesbahul

Registered Users (C)
I can believe I got my EAD within a month of applying. I really did not need an EAD but decided to apply since it was for free. I think they would have processed even quicker if I had not delayed my biometric appointment by a week. I hope they process my GC quickly when I apply next year.

This is my second EAD. I got my first EAD while my asylum case was going on in court. I still had to do FP. FP is standard procedure.

Mesbahul,

I was under the impression that people who recently received their final asylum approvals were automatically mailed a two year EAD. That is the case for me. I just recently received my final asylum approval a month ago, and within the course of a few days, also received an EAD valid for two years. Can you check the duration of this newly received EAD? Is it for two years? I received a notice as well stating that if I didn't receive the EAD within a few weeks to notify someone. It's possible that you may have received that EAD but I could be wrong. In any case, congratulations!!! HOpe your GC approval only takes a month too! :)

Mesbahul,

I was under the impression that people who recently received their final asylum approvals were automatically mailed a two year EAD. That is the case for me. I just recently received my final asylum approval a month ago, and within the course of a few days, also received an EAD valid for two years. Can you check the duration of this newly received EAD? Is it for two years? I received a notice as well stating that if I didn't receive the EAD within a few weeks to notify someone. It's possible that you may have received that EAD but I could be wrong. In any case, congratulations!!! HOpe your GC approval only takes a month too! :)

When I was called by the USCIS to pick up my I-94, they asked me if I had any EAD. I showed them and it had C8 category meaning asylum pending. The lady told me to apply again with the right category since I was granted asylum. I asked her what was the difference? Do I really need to apply for EAD because I have an unrestricted SSN and driver license which is sufficient enough for employment. She told me it was better to apply. This was way back in May. My first EAD was valid for one year expiring next February. I applied the second time because there is no fee and also helps as a Gov't issued ID. I actually applied online for the EAD in mid October. The new EAD is valid for two years since I am an asylee.

Just looking at your siggy, you got your asylum recently. Congratulations and enjoy this beautiful country. I don't know which city you are located in. I am located in New York City where there are so many applicant and therefore a long wait. I had to wait more than three months for my documents to be transferred from the immigration court to USCIS. Believe it or not they are all in the same building, just three floors differrence. The smart ass that I was I volunteered to USCIS that I will bring the documents myself if they were short on help and they thought I was joking until they realized I was serious. You enter the USCIS office, you should be prepared to stay for hours just like the emergency room in the hospital. I don't even know why they call it emergency room.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was called by the USCIS to pick up my I-94, they asked me if I had any EAD. I showed them and it had C8 category meaning asylum pending. The lady told me to apply again with the right category since I was granted asylum. I asked her what was the difference? Do I really need to apply for EAD because I have an unrestricted SSN and driver license which is sufficient enough for employment. She told me it was better to apply. This was way back in May. My first EAD was valid for one year expiring next February. I applied the second time because there is no fee and also helps as a Gov't issued ID. I actually applied online for the EAD in mid October. The new EAD is valid for two years since I am an asylee.

Just looking at your siggy, you got your asylum recently. Congratulations and enjoy this beautiful country. I don't know which city you are located in. I am located in New York City where there are so many applicant and therefore a long wait. I had to wait more than three months for my documents to be transferred from the immigration court to USCIS. Believe it or not they are all in the same building, just three floors differrence. The smart ass that I was I volunteered to USCIS that I will bring the documents myself if they were short on help and they thought I was joking until they realized I was serious. You enter the USCIS office, you should be prepared to stay for hours just like the emergency room in the hospital. I don't even know why they call it emergency room.

Thank you! I'm located right outside NYC in New Jersey. My case was an Affirmative Asylum one as I never fell out of status while being present in the US. So my case never went to the Immigration Court and I only dealt with the Asylum office in Lyndhurst, NJ.