WOW ! What do I need to do !

Ladybuggy

Registered Users (C)
About 5 Minutes ago I received a call from someone in Indiana. She told me that Immigration Services had sent my application to her house but the cover sheet from the INS was addressed to her. So when she opened the envelope it said Dear .. and then her name but my application, my pictures, my check and everything was in the envelope. She said she is going to send it to my adress tomorrow ...
So what should I do now ?? She said she thinks I will receive hers.

What I don't understand is why they would send it back to me in the first place. I did everything that I was supposed to do and I have been in the US for more than 5 Years. Never left the US and so on ...

This is so weird. What should I do .. Call them tomorrow and ask what had happened ?

Update !

Ok I just called that Lady back in Indiana that had received my application.

She and her Husband send in Applications to Immigration a while ago I guess. I am not sure what kind of Application and when but as from what I understood her's said it is imcomplete. Anyways .. Friday last week they had received 3 envelopes from the INS ... 1 was adressed to her Husband, 2 were adressed to her. When they took a closer look at it today they had realized that one of the Applications that were sent back to her house was mine BUT the cover sheet that the INS had sent her was adressed to her .. it said her name on it ...

My question now is if I call the USCIS tomorrow are they able to give me Information on my case. I mean I don't have a case # and nothing at this point.

By the way the Lady will send me my Application tomorrow to my house !

Ladybuggy said:
Ok I just called that Lady back in Indiana that had received my application.

She and her Husband send in Applications to Immigration a while ago I guess. I am not sure what kind of Application and when but as from what I understood her's said it is imcomplete. Anyways .. Friday last week they had received 3 envelopes from the INS ... 1 was adressed to her Husband, 2 were adressed to her. When they took a closer look at it today they had realized that one of the Applications that were sent back to her house was mine BUT the cover sheet that the INS had sent her was adressed to her .. it said her name on it ...

My question now is if I call the USCIS tomorrow are they able to give me Information on my case. I mean I don't have a case # and nothing at this point.

By the way the Lady will send me my Application tomorrow to my house !

LOL...Typical USCIS screwup... Be glad that you did not loose too much time. Just send your application back to them. I don't think you would benefit in anyway by calling them except for wasting time, money and energy.

Personally ... what do you think had happend ? I mean is it because of something is missing but if there is why is it not my Name in the Cover Letter nor it was sent to me ..
Screw up ?? What do you mean ? Had it happen to someone in here before ? Sorry I am just a little confused by what had happen here, lol

Ladybuggy said:
Personally ... what do you think had happend ? I mean is it because of something is missing but if there is why is it not my Name in the Cover Letter nor it was sent to me ..
Screw up ?? What do you mean ? Had it happen to someone in here before ? Sorry I am just a little confused by what had happen here, lol

My guess is they probably picked up your app along with theirs and stuffed it in their envelope. Don't think you could miss anything in a N-400 app if your case is a straight forward one. All you need to send is copy of GC, check (for the right amount ofcourse) and photos. That's it.

I know that is why I am so confused. It was for the right amount, made out to Department of Homeland Security. It had my Pictures and my Application ... all in one Envelope.
What confuses me even more is that MY Application is sent to her house, the Cover Letter from the USCIS is made out to her and telling her why it was sent back .. No mention of my Name at all except for MY OWN APPLICATION.

Ladybuggy said:
I know that is why I am so confused. It was for the right amount, made out to Department of Homeland Security. It had my Pictures and my Application ... all in one Envelope.
What confuses me even more is that MY Application is sent to her house, the Cover Letter from the USCIS is made out to her and telling her why it was sent back .. No mention of my Name at all except for MY OWN APPLICATION.

That's why it got be a screw up. Just don't worry about it. Send it back once you get it

I will do that. Just incase. The only things I need to include in the Envelope with the N-400 that would be based on a 5 Year Stay in the US are the following.

A Check or Money Order made out to Department of Homeland Security or US Citizenship and Immigration Services for the Amount of $400. (By the way .. where do I write my A # on it ?)
A Copy of my Green Card - Front and Back
2 Passport Photo's with the A # and my Name lightly written on the back

Anything else .. oh yea my Application of course ..

Did I forget anything ??

Ladybuggy said:
I will do that. Just incase. The only things I need to include in the Envelope with the N-400 that would be based on a 5 Year Stay in the US are the following.

A Check or Money Order made out to Department of Homeland Security or US Citizenship and Immigration Services for the Amount of $400. (By the way .. where do I write my A # on it ?)
A Copy of my Green Card - Front and Back
2 Passport Photo's with the A # and my Name lightly written on the back

Anything else .. oh yea my Application of course ..

Did I forget anything ??

Trust me... Guy like you won't screw up. :) I have read your other concerned posts.

What you mentioned is all you need to send with your app. Good Luck

Well thanks but I am a girl, lol !

Looks like no matter how careful, informed or whatever you are .. it just doesn't go your way.

Right now I just hope I will receive my application back from her soon so I can resend it once again ... dumm de dumm .. lol

Another Update !

I called them this Morning anyway and after seems like a lifetime of waiting I had a really nice Lady on the other line !
I explained to her what had happened and she ask me how much I sent for the Fee. When I told her it was for $400 she ask me if I signed everything. I told her I am pretty sure I did and she said well wait for the Lady to send your Application back to you and then resend it to USCIS with a Cover Sheet that explains that my Application was sent back to her house and that everything was adressed to her.
So yea ..
Waiting some more .... grrrrrrr.

Cross your Fingers for me please, lol

Looks like someone did not take their coffee break at the USCIS. :) One more reason to believe that life is not fair!

If i would you I would get Infopass and talk to the officer. Just to make sure that everything is correct with your file.

You never know.....eh my FP letter and interview letter was lost in the mail and i never received them. So i was supposed to reschedule both. It took me a year to get my interview date.

Don't trust them!!!!! Check it if everything is correct. They will not do it for you. :)

And good luck....

K.

and one more thing...based on my experience it is useless to call them! even if you get a nice person they won't have access to your full database anyway. Get Infopass! people who sit their have everything in their databases and they are nicer than people on th phone:)

I can't schedule an Infopass since there is no File on me yet because either because of them or even my fault (We'll find out here soon - when I receive my application) they send me my entire Application including Photo's, Copies and Check back to me.
Instead of sending the Application to my House, Addressing either the envelope or the Cover Sheet from USCIS to me, they addressed it to someone in Indiana but it included my Application.
The Lady from Indiana that received my N-400 Form is going to send it to me today so as soon as I receive it I will check the Information on it, re-write the check and send it back to them.
I think it wasn't supposed to be sent out in the first place because if it was shouldn't of I received someone else's Application USCIS returned due to whatever reason.
Anyway ... No biggie. Just about a month lost for no reason at all.

All I could think of this situation is that the clerk who was handling someone else application in order to return it actually sent OP application alongwith BY MISTAKE. Why and how it happened? Then we can break it down in pieces, but it would still boil down to mistake word. I am sure that the same clerk had many applications on his/her desk at that time, which made her/him to mistakenly put OP application alongwith someone else to return it.

People do make mistakes sometimes. So obviously, USCIS is not an exception to it. However, it does surprise when govt. (or people who work for the govt.) makes such a grave mistake. No wonder why USCIS looses so many files and applications each year and then those people's cases take forever to adjudicate because they don't find missed/lost files.

Speaking about mistakes, then how anyone can forget that Mohammad Atta, the leader of 9/11 incident, was allowed back into the United States despite of him being overstaying on his previously issued visa. Not only that, USCIS even granted his student visa application AFTER 6 months of his death. I mean, everyone in this world even my 5 yrs old nephew knew who was Mohammad Atta but those "mighty" people in USCIS didn't, I guess. It's shame and sad how this bureaucratic agency of US govt. works.

Whatever happened has already happened. You cannot change the past. But you can certainly change the present and future. Thus, the best thing to do in this situation is-

First, wait for the application to arrive from a lady from Indiana.

Second, once you receive it, write a letter to Director in Service Center alongwith your application, wherein you should mention everything of what happened. This way, they will process your application expeditiously and will try to make sure this kind of things won't happen again, at least minimize this kinds of happening.

When you write a letter, make sure to write in a simple English and to-the-point.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is interesting. I filed my application on 9/23 and USCIS recd it on 9/25 and I haven't heard any thing back from them yet. Quite a lot of people that filed before and after me already recd their NOA and FP notices. Should I resend my application or wait till the 30 days and request a formal inquiry?

Thanks guys :)

In my opinion, you should wait at least one more week. I'm sure you will get your NOA by then. If you don't hear anything by then, then you should start inquiring about your case.

Don't try to resend your application unless you don't care about paying processing fees again. Because USCIS has a policy of not returning the processing fee in any given situation unless they return the whole application back with fee.

However, I must say that it is very unsual that you still haven't heard anything from USCIS yet; otherwise these days they are very fast. It could be possible that they MIGHT have returned your application to someone else like what happened here, or somebody has thrown it in the trash mistakenly, or whatever. Yet still it is very unusual that it's taking them this long to send you NOA.

Why don't you call their 800 number and ask to speak to Immigration officer? Officer will be able to tell you what's going on with your application because I'm suspecting that they might have sent your NOA to either wrong address or your letter might have lost in the mail which happens occassionally.

Good luck.

JohnnyCash said:
In my opinion, you should wait at least one more week. I'm sure you will get your NOA by then. If you don't hear anything by then, then you should start inquiring about your case.

Don't try to resend your application unless you don't care about paying processing fees again. Because USCIS has a policy of not returning the processing fee in any given situation unless they return the whole application back with fee.

However, I must say that it is very unsual that you still haven't heard anything from USCIS yet; otherwise these days they are very fast. It could be possible that they MIGHT have returned your application to someone else like what happened here, or somebody has thrown it in the trash mistakenly, or whatever. Yet still it is very unusual that it's taking them this long to send you NOA.

Why don't you call their 800 number and ask to speak to Immigration officer? Officer will be able to tell you what's going on with your application because I'm suspecting that they might have sent your NOA to either wrong address or your letter might have lost in the mail which happens occassionally.

Good luck.

Johnnycash : thanks for the input. I did call the USCIS and spoke with an Immigration Officer. I gave them my Alien # and they were unable to find any thing under that for a N-400 application. My check still hasn't been cashed so I am begining to wonder what's going on. I wish i could walk up to the Service Center and ask for a status update. The immigration information officer suggested that I issue a stop payment for the check and re-file. they suspect my application is lost in the process :(. I will give them a call tomorrow to find out whats going on.