• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Wow one week to go!!!!

lol! We love a good Italian sausage too but here they are pretty much over a $1 each! Thank heavens for Costco because you can save by shopping in bulk there, and freezing. We will do that in the US as well, but save more money.

I love Marshall's! And TJMax and BigLots, all those discount stores. You can pick up real treasures there for next to nothing. You can outfit your closet and your whole house so cheaply by going there regularly and browsing through the bargains.

We are off to Florida for now.

Do not forget sam's club... Please stop... I feel like crying... I miss usa so much... If i win, I might head to DC or the west coast

Canada is a nice place, just not really for me... Sure if you come from places like France (Lot of french people in Montreal), third world countries, you will like Montreal... But me after living some times in USA, I feel like canada is the country that wants to emulate usa but just can't...
What you mean with BS?

Me what i did not like in Montreal at least was:
-Their obsession with speaking french (Language police... 101 bill)

-high taxes (I bought a fridge... the price was $360 but with taxes I got at $480 (You have federal taxe then provincial taxes which in fact it taxes the taxe....).. combined you have a litle more than 15% sale taxes...

-The cold... winter is just too long

-Apart from the rent (Which is a good thing) everything is expensive. The rent... about same price as Dallas but to buy a house? Very expensive

-To get a job, you basically need to know someone... So it is very hard for newcomer to get a good job... the underemployment rate in Montreal is crazy especially among the immigrants... (10% for the whole city and usually double that for the immigrant only)

Good parts:
-Very but I mean very safe... Canada as a whole is a very safe country
-Lots of parks
-Good schools
-Easier immigration system

hey bro , do u expect US to be different from most of this ? tell me the differences

living cost are way lower in usa (i know i was in boston)
winter... not that cold in most part
taxes are on average 5-6%
not the 101 bill...

i applied for both US lottery and permanant residence for Canada, when i just win in the lottery , i hjust forget about canada, i was an old f1 student in US for 5 years

i applied for both US lottery and permanant residence for Canada, when i just win in the lottery , i hjust forget about canada, i was an old f1 student in US for 5 years

Even me if i get the lottery, I forget about Canada. Right now I am on a student visa in canada and believe me, you can do absolutely nothing... One of the worst visa

Even me if i get the lottery, I forget about Canada. Right now I am on a student visa in canada and believe me, you can do absolutely nothing... One of the worst visa

gd luck bro, i hope u will reach ur dream, US is the real land of dreams, and orlando is the best entertainment city in the world

Since we are about differences:

Canada vs USA:
weather : Canada is pretty much a cold country... Appart of Wester british columbia, Canada is cold (Toronto climate is kind of like Detroit). Montreal winter... Crazy long... forget about the rest of Canada.
Usa weather is way more diverse... even Boston - Montreal, the difference is huge during the winter... and starting mid-May, boston is very hot... Well, it also get very hot in toronto but not like Boston or worse... DC (a summer in DC is hell).

cost of living:
Sure medical bills are lower in Canada but if you take into account everything like gas price, sales taxes, cost of goods, clothing, furnitures ect... It is safe to say that USA is at least 30 to 40% cheaper than Canada to live in....
Phone plan : I will take the cheapest ... Metro PCS vs public mobile...

The standard plan with public mobile is 25$ + tx and you get:
unlimited call ... ONLY WITHING THE MONTREAL METROPOLITAIN AREA... You can not even call other part of quebec without extras charge and if you leave Montreal... NO SIGNAL...... and with that price, you do not have the voicemail nor the internet and crappy phones... (If you get lucky like me, you could get a promotion for a year... but my wife has the exact same plan but no promotion so she is paying 36$ and no voice mail...)

Metro PCS:
You can call anywhere in the US except porto rico, Hawai & Alaska, works almost everywhere... For 40$ You have unlimited talk, text, 3G and 400mb 4g...

internet
... F for Canada here... the cheapest for unlimited here is 50$ per month only internet and 6mbs... (Slow) and only works in large metropolitain area... so if you live like right across Montreal, that plan won't be for you... You would have to pay 60$ for 15mbs and limited to 75Go per months...

clothes : There is a reason why Canadians cross the border to shop...

Safety / crime.. Canada all the way

Job opportunities...
USA hands down

housing...
draw

it seems canada is ridiculous bro, how ever, the best point of this country is the safety, u can raise ur children in a good safe place, other than that , it is just waist of time, USA has a lot of opportunities

it seems canada is ridiculous bro, how ever, the best point of this country is the safety, u can raise ur children in a good safe place, other than that , it is just waist of time, USA has a lot of opportunities

haha, canada is good... just for me it is not the best place. Some people prefer Canada, other (most) prefere the usa... Many immigrant chose Canada because they failed the US one .. Fact.

If you want to live a normal life without any distraction, just like raising a familly without extras, canada is good.

haha, canada is good... just for me it is not the best place. Some people prefer Canada, other (most) prefere the usa... Many immigrant chose Canada because they failed the US one .. Fact.

If you want to live a normal life without any distraction, just like raising a familly without extras, canada is good.

u would die boring in canada, US is just the most entertaining place to be on earth, really so so so many place to visit, u can die without visiting some corners lol

u would die boring in canada, US is just the most entertaining place to be on earth, really so so so many place to visit, u can die without visiting some corners lol

I second that. Canada is not boring, it has some places to visit like British columbia, Toronto, Montreal (pretty much it)..
In USA... so much choices... I saw Boston, NYC, Washington DC, Portland, passed through Denver, salt lake city, Philly, Baltimore, Miami... And still have a lot to see

I second that. Canada is not boring, it has some places to visit like British columbia, Toronto, Montreal (pretty much it)..
In USA... so much choices... I saw Boston, NYC, Washington DC, Portland, passed through Denver, salt lake city, Philly, Baltimore, Miami... And still have a lot to see

Americans will be Americans.You just can't take it from them.

Well, I'm more of a wide-open spaces and scenic wilderness type of person and the US beats everyone hands down on that. There are some gorgeous areas like that in Canada too but the US has an amazing variety that will keep us happy on our roadtrips for a long, long time. Everything from sand dunes and deserts, to canyons and mesas, to mountains and lakes, to glaciers, plains, badlands and rolling hills, to beaches and everything in between. Its National Park system is amazing, especially in the southwest. Utah alone has several National and State Parks offering a variety of terrain and experiences. You don't have to drive too far to get to parks, and the journey along the way is often just as nice. I love the experience of looking out to the horizon and not seeing buildings or people. Just nature.

Of course the cities are great too and each is very different to the other. There's lots there for everybody. 50 states that are often more like 50 different countries if you take into account the variety in terrain, food, music, art, people, accents, etc.

Well, I'm more of a wide-open spaces and scenic wilderness type of person and the US beats everyone hands down on that. There are some gorgeous areas like that in Canada too but the US has an amazing variety that will keep us happy on our roadtrips for a long, long time. Everything from sand dunes and deserts, to canyons and mesas, to mountains and lakes, to glaciers, plains, badlands and rolling hills, to beaches and everything in between. Its National Park system is amazing, especially in the southwest. Utah alone has several National and State Parks offering a variety of terrain and experiences. You don't have to drive too far to get to parks, and the journey along the way is often just as nice. I love the experience of looking out to the horizon and not seeing buildings or people. Just nature.

Of course the cities are great too and each is very different to the other. There's lots there for everybody. 50 states that are often more like 50 different countries if you take into account the variety in terrain, food, music, art, people, accents, etc.

When we went from DC to Portland by bus.. We took the road from Denver to Sault lake city... Welll, one word in my mouth.. NEVER... NEVER again... picture this... 10 hours drive in the desert with only sands.... the bus had no wifi and no power outlet... was very hard.... At first it was good seeing the mountains and stuff but it get borring and 10 hours with only that....

When we went from DC to Portland by bus.. We took the road from Denver to Sault lake city... Welll, one word in my mouth.. NEVER... NEVER again... picture this... 10 hours drive in the desert with only sands.... the bus had no wifi and no power outlet... was very hard.... At first it was good seeing the mountains and stuff but it get borring and 10 hours with only that....

lol! jayo, you're a city-slicker through and through - not that there's anything wrong with that :D You need to do that trip again, but not on a bus (a big sardine tin). And get off the interstates - they're great for getting someplace quickly and for trucks but they often go through straight, flat and boring landscape wherever possible. Desert isn't too interesting, yes, but for a little while it's okay. If you get off the road into desert parks though, you can learn a lot.

I like this discussion about USA¸Vs Canada. It's really encouraging to see that I am not alone on this choice of whether to leave Canada for USA. It about 4 years that I am in Canada but year after year I have been dreaming about crossing the bridge to down south. Jayo2K, Vichel and Princedriss have portrayed it very well everyday life in Canada is nothing compared to the land of opportunities (US). If someone is fighter, then definitely US is for you. But if you are like some of the people I know (Lazy) you probably would vote for Canada to gain advantage of government benefits. I most also admit that for safety, ou can't beat Canada.

I wish I could comment on the subject matter. But I have neither been to Canada nor USA. But the general feeling from where I come from is, if you want to raise a family. Canada is preferable. But if you want to hustle and have a decent shot at good opportunities, then the US is the best place to be.