• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Worried over "Immigrant Intent"

david2000

Hi,

I am a winner of the 2009 DV lottery (Asia) but I have a few concerns - Hope you guys are able to help me

- When do we start to show "Immigrant Intent" in the US visa immigration records - After we win the lottery, after submitting the DS-203 or after the visa interview ?

- Once we are classified to having an "Immigrant Intent", is it then impossible to get the Student (F1) or Non Immigrant B1/B2 visa any more ?

I'm worried because if I were to proceed with the DV visa process and end up unsuccessful (because of whatever reasons) or decide not to take up the visa, then I will be forever classified as having Immigrant Intent and will not be able to step into the US again

Thanks
David

Most lawyers seem to advise their clients that participating in the lottery is not immigrant intent yet. However, winning is, and USCIS gets notified that you won (even if you end up not getting a GC in the process, and even before DS-203 is submitted). You definitively could run into trouble getting F1 or B1/B2.

http://www.wolfsdorf.com/DVarticles/DV 2004 Update.pdf

In most cases, the benefit of a successful winning application will outweigh other risks. For many who do not qualify for an employment- or family-based petition, this would be their only chance of immigrating. For applicants in slow-moving job or family-preference categories, the benefits are obvious.
A decision to enter the DV program should nonetheless be an informed and careful choice. The DOS has held that a lottery application is, an expression of interest in immigrating to the United States. Also it was determined during the predecessor OP-1 lottery program59 that the entry is a “petition” within the terms of the INA.60
Clients should be counseled to disclose lottery participation on applications, which request information as to whether an immigrant visa petition has been submitted and that this information may result in a visa denial pursuant to INA § 214(b). Too many people view the lottery application as a simple matter not worthy of disclosure in another application. Given the stakes, certain persons may not wish to risk applying for a lottery, in which only a small chance of winning is weighed against the necessity of obtaining student visas necessary to complete a program, particularly if travel or an extension of stay is required.
Many “winners” who lost the race will now experience difficulty obtaining student and visitor nonimmigrant visas and may not even be able to enter the United States. Having made advanced efforts to become a permanent resident, they have expressed clear immigrant intent and may not be able overcome INA §214(b), which requires unrelinquished domicile abroad. For example, a former F-1 student from Iran who chose to consular process in Abu Dhabi, may now be unable to obtain a F-1 student visa to return the United States to resume her course of studies. This same problem arises for applicants who were unable to adjust status before September 30, 2003. Such individuals are placed in removal proceedings if they failed to maintain underlying lawful nonimmigrant status.
When requesting benefits on Form DS-156, The Nonimmigrant Visa Application, the form asks: “Has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf?” The DOS has determined that for lottery applicants, the correct answer to this question is “yes.”61
Failure to review the Form DS-156 carefully may have serious consequences for the unwary applicant and the uninformed practitioner. Although the question should not affect H and L applicants due to the doctrine of dual intent, as well as O and E applicants, a perceived desire to reside permanently in the United States may result in the refusal of issuance of the visa for B-1/B-2, H-3 and J-1 applicants.62
According to H. Edward Odom’s directive, “the fact that an alien has registered for the visa lottery may be taken into account (just as any other fact may be) by a consular officer when adjudicating a subsequent non-immigrant visa application. However, the Visa Office is of the opinion that the fact of registration, by itself, would not ordinarily be sufficient cause for visa denial and certainly is not an automatic bar to receipt of a subsequent non-immigrant visa(s).”63 Also, although a lottery applicant is not automatically barred from issuance of a nonimmigrant visa where INA § 214(b) applies, nor automatically prohibited from changing status to such a nonimmigrant visa or status, the willful misrepresentation of this fact before a Consular Officer or Immigration official, if combined with other factors so that it becomes material, could be grounds for refusal of a visa.
In a typical nonimmigrant visa application, a consular officer may give little or no weight to a lottery application, whereas an approved Form I-140, or Form I-130 immigrant petition may lend stricter scrutiny to the question of nonimmigrant intent. If, however, the applicant has been registered as a “winner” by the State Department, this will demonstrate a higher degree of immigrant intent and foreclose many nonimmigrant visa options.
This issue also arises when applying for a change of status or extension of stay in a visa category where nonimmigrant intent is an issue. Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status at Part 4(a) and (b) requests the following information: (a) Are you or any other person included in this application, an applicant for an immigrant visa? (b) Has an immigrant petition ever been filed for you, or for any other person included in this application? The immigration practitioner should keep in mind that an F-1 student may file a number of these applications throughout a long academic history if he/she changes from an English as a second language program to a bachelor degree program to a graduate school program and finally to a practical training program.
Diversity visa participants should also be aware that the DOS no longer shreds unused and/or unselected diversity lottery applications. On September 12, 2002, Representative George Gekas, Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security and Claims, announced that upon his suggestion, the ten to thirteen million diversity visa applications will be shared with U.S. law enforcement and intelligence agencies.64 The diversity visa program, which had once given hope to vast hordes of wishful immigrants both in the United States and abroad, may now become a security trap. Having the name, date and country of birth and address of the ten to thirteen million applicants would hardly appear useful to intelligence agencies, but may be useful to an agency searching for current addresses of the several hundred thousand people ordered removed or who have overstayed their visas. After fifteen years of visa lotteries, the present government’s attitude towards immigrants has made it necessary to recommend caution to persons entering the diversity visa lottery who may be out of status or otherwise removable.

Read footnotes in the original reference too.

So, most likely you will still be able to get nonimmigrant visas after you send an electronic entry and even if you win, but most likely you will not be able to get certain visas if you send DS-230 to KCC or I-485 to CIS after you win the lottery.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.wolfsdorf.com/DVarticles/DV 2004 Update.pdf

Read footnotes in the original reference too.

So, most likely you will still be able to get nonimmigrant visas after you send an electronic entry and even if you win, but most likely you will not be able to get certain visas if you send DS-230 to KCC or I-485 to CIS after you win the lottery.
I agree with raevsky.
Is your case number rather high or low for your region? (You can check that my looking at the visa bulletins of the last years (remember that the year starts in October and ends in September). If your number isn't extremely high (meaning that it wouldn't be current till August/September), you can be fairly sure that it will all work out (if you fulfill the education requirements and have enough money, of course).

Hi,

I am a winner of the 2009 DV lottery (Asia) but I have a few concerns - Hope you guys are able to help me

- When do we start to show "Immigrant Intent" in the US visa immigration records - After we win the lottery, after submitting the DS-203 or after the visa interview ?

- Once we are classified to having an "Immigrant Intent", is it then impossible to get the Student (F1) or Non Immigrant B1/B2 visa any more ?

I'm worried because if I were to proceed with the DV visa process and end up unsuccessful (because of whatever reasons) or decide not to take up the visa, then I will be forever classified as having Immigrant Intent and will not be able to step into the US again

Thanks
David

David,
I looked into this a while ago and the advise from an immigration lawyer was that as far as DV lottery is concerned your "immigrant intent" will be positiv as soon as you submit you DS230 or DS122 and not sooner. Just because you have been selected does not mean you have the intention to immigrate.

Case and point: I have applyed to the DV lottery for 13 years and during this time I have never had problem getting F1 visas. One time the question even came up at the consulate during my F1 interview. The officer as me if I had applyed for the lottery that year and I told her "yes". She wished me luck and approved my visa. And am not the only one that this has happend to.

I entered the U.S. for a short holiday soon-after winning the DV lottery a few years ago (I had received the NL after booking the trip). Anyway, as it turned out, I was denied entry at LAX because winning the green card lottery was regarded as 'immigrant intent'.

USCIS gets notified that you won (even if you end up not getting a GC in the process, and even before DS-203 is submitted). You definitively could run into trouble getting F1 or B1/B2.
USCIS isn't probably notified about it, unless you are doing AOS and you notified them yourself. Visas are issued by consulates (Department of State).

I entered the U.S. for a short holiday soon-after winning the DV lottery a few years ago (I had received the NL after booking the trip). Anyway, as it turned out, I was denied entry at LAX because winning the green card lottery was regarded as 'immigrant intent'.

I have been in an out of the US on a visa waver since winning the lottery. There was no problem getting in and out for me.

Possibly, by the time of your entry you had sent already I-485 or DS-230 form.

I have been in an out of the US on a visa waver since winning the lottery. There was no problem getting in and out for me.
BTW. I-94W form does not have any questions about immigrant petitions filed on your behalf. Neither it has any questions about you applying for an immigrant visa.

Possibly, by the time of your entry you had sent already I-485 or DS-230 form.
Actually, what happened was that on a previous visit on the VWP, I had overstayed by a day. I was unaware of this as I had left the booking to my travel agent. That single day caused immigration to pull me aside into the secondary inspections area. They questioned me about my purpose of being in the United States. It was only a holiday until my next contract started back in Australia and I let it slip out that I had to return to Australia to process the rest of green card, as I had just won it weeks before. That was it as far as they were concerned - it was 'immigrant intent' - and they denied me entry and sent me on the next plane back.

The result. The one-day overstay meant I could not return under the VWP. I returned to the United States nine-months later under another immigrant visa, anyway.

It was only a holiday until my next contract started back in Australia and I let it slip out that I had to return to Australia to process the rest of green card, as I had just won it weeks before. That was it as far as they were concerned - it was 'immigrant intent' - and they denied me entry and sent me on the next plane back.
your immigrant intent was proven not because you merely won the DV lottery, but because you specifically said that you are planning to do consular processing to get your DV immigrant visa. You cannot enter on a visa waiver or a non-immigrant visa with such a clearly expressed immigrant intent.

One additional question.. once I have submitted the DS-230, can I still enter the US using my existing B1/B2 visa ? Will I be stopped at the Point of Entry ?

:)
David

Entering on B1/B2 would be unwise since you now clearly have immigrant intent. If you fail to disclose that you are an immigrant (and as such ineligible for B status), you are committing immigration fraud and as per INA §212(a)(6)(C)(i) might become ineligible to ever enter the US again. If you do declare that you are an intending immigrant, you will be refused entry. Its a lose-lose.

He does not need to volunteer information. But he needs to disclose it if a direct question is asked at the border.

Its not about volunteering information. By using a visitor visa to enter the US you make the statement that you are visiting and have no immigrant intent. If you enter on a visitor visa while clearly having immigrant intent, you are committing immigration fraud. During AOS interviews this is one of the first things they check. How did you enter? And when? Consular posts have access to the same information. Don't put yourself in a situation where you have to apply for a I-601 waiver for inadmissibility (which are almost always denied).

If you enter on a visitor visa while clearly having immigrant intent, you are committing immigration fraud
Simply not true. Moreover, in some rare cases you could get a visitor's visa even if you are a GC holder and could even enter US on that visitor's visa, while clearly having an immigrant intent.

9 FAM 41.31 N15 LAWFUL PERMANENT
RESIDENT (LPR) ISSUED NONIMMIGRANT
VISITOR VISA FOR EMERGENCY TEMPORARY
VISIT TO UNITED STATES
(CT:VISA-701; 02-15-2005)
A lawful permanent resident (LPR) may, in some cases, need to get a visa
more quickly than obtaining a returning resident visa would permit. For
example: a permanent resident alien employed by a U.S. corporation is
temporarily assigned abroad but has not necessarily remained more than
one year and may not use Form I-551, Alien Registration Receipt Card
(Machine Readable) (Green Card), in order to travel to the United States for
an urgent conference and then return abroad. The alien has never
relinquished permanent residence, has continued to pay U.S. income taxes,
and perhaps even maintains a home in the United States. The alien may be
issued a nonimmigrant visa for this purpose and Form I-551 need not be
surrendered. The relinquishment of either of these forms shall not be
required as a condition precedent to the issuance of either an immigrant or
nonimmigrant visa (NIV) unless Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
has requested such action.

Immigration law is dummyproof. You cannot commit fraud if you get a visa from consulate being completely truthful and enter US on that visa through a designated post being completely truthful. You are assumed to be a complete dummy in immigration laws at those two times, and that is not up to you to decide about you getting visa and getting permission to enter US. But if you get both, you are fine, as long as you were completely truthful. Not volunteering information is not being untruthful. You are assumed just to answer questions truthfully.

Pretense of being a visitor means you commit fraud somewhere at the process. Either when you supply the consul with wrong information for the purpose of commiting fraud, or when you supply the immigration officer at the border with wrong information for the purpose of commiting fraud.

9 FAM 40.63 N4.2 Differentiation Between
Misrepresentation and Failure to Volunteer
Information
(TL:VISA-175; 01-15-1998)
In determining whether a misrepresentation has been made, it is necessary
to distinguish between misrepresentation of information and information that
was merely concealed by the alien's silence. Silence or the failure to
volunteer information does not in itself constitute a misrepresentation for the
purposes of INA 212(a)(6)(C)(i).

So, you comments refer to a completely different situation and are absolutely irrelevant to the situation being discussed.

If you are silent during the visa application and are silent during admission, that does not constitute a misrepresentation.

If you are silent during the visa application and are silent during admission, that does not constitute a misrepresentation.

For the visa application you fill out a DS-156 which states in big bold letters on the top "NONIMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION". If you fill out a NONIMMIGRANT visa application as an immigrant, how is that not an attempt to fraudulently obtain a visa you are not entitled to?

The same goes for entering the country in non-immigrant status if you are an immigrant. It doesn't matter what you say, your actions clearly speak for you.

The INA is very clear about this. An immigrant is only admissible with a valid unexpired IMMIGRANT visa. Not a non-immigrant visa. If you sneak your way past CBP with a non-immigrant visa despite being an immigrant, you commit immigration fraud and there is a good chance you will face the music for it eventually.

Sec. 212. [8 U.S.C. 1182]

(a) Classes of Aliens Ineligible for Visas or Admission.-Except as otherwise provided in this Act, aliens who are inadmissible under the following paragraphs are ineligible to receive visas and ineligible to be admitted to the United States:

(A) Immigrants.-

(i) In general.-Except as otherwise specifically provided in this Act, any immigrant at the time of application for admission-

(I) who is not in possession of a valid unexpired immigrant visa, reentry permit, border crossing identification card, or other valid entry document required by this Act, and a valid unexpired passport, or other suitable travel document, or document of identity and nationality if such document is required under the regulations issued by the Attorney General under section 211(a) , or

(II) whose visa has been issued without compliance with the provisions of section 203, is inadmissible.

(ii) Waiver authorized.-For provision authorizing waiver of clause (i), see subsection (k).