• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

working in the US - do you need Social Security number first??

ancatdubh

Registered Users (C)
Just a quick question.. i've just arrived in the US on my green card. During our interview we were told don't have to apply for social security number, it will be mailed to us once we arrive.

Do I have to wait to receive the number before I can start working? Or does it not matter, because the stamped green card visa in my passport authorizes me to work?

I know you need the Social Security number to open a bank account.. but if I wanted to try and do some work that pays in cash.. what is the rule?

Thanks!

All employers will require a SSN, you can apply for SSN now as it will be quicker and the request that you made DS-230 when they will send that request to SS they will see if you have been issued one recently they will send a letter if you still another card just ignore that if you have already obtained one.

You don't need a SSN to open a bank account although it makes things easier, but you do need a SSN to work.

All employers will require a SSN, you can apply for SSN now as it will be quicker and the request that you made DS-230 when they will send that request to SS they will see if you have been issued one recently they will send a letter if you still another card just ignore that if you have already obtained one.

my experience was totally the opposite ...all my employers when I got to this country actually preferred people without SSN so they would not pay tax for us and cover all sorts of things ...this was in construction ,so I actually got rejected for some jobs because I said I have SSN