working around H1B cap

simphony80

This forum is doing wonderful job for sure.. I am really impressed with the postings and the help on this forum, which is prompting me to put up my case here.. I am on my OPT now, which expires in October. Though I am in a little better position than others regarding the next year cap, unlike others I don't have a company that is ready to give me a H1B, which definitely puts me in a soup.. Please could someone clarify the following issues for me so that I can make some plans...
1. Last year quota was filled up by 17 Feb 03, which took many by surprise. As it was a lesson to many, most of the people will be applying in April, May and june of this year. when do you think this year's quota might be over (a rough intelligent estimate will do)?
2. Can I get a H1B from Company A in order to be in status without getting paid by Company A? Is it legal to be on H1B and not get paid? If it is legal, then say after few months Company B is ready to give me H1B, will there be any problems with H1B transfer since I was not paid on my prior H1B?
3. Are the H1B transfers only possible if the job profiles are the same? I mean, say I am working as a supervisor in a Motel with my current H1B and I want to work as an engineer for another company.. will there be any problems during the H1B transfer, since the job profiles are poles apart? Will there be any problems with Green Card processing?
4. I might be able to get a consultant who can get me a software job with the assignments being on and off... But I hold a degree in Industrial Engineering and I want to work in a related field. Do you think it doesn't matter in Green Card processing to shift careers from Software to industrial engineering?
Looking at the above questions, one would easily guess that I want to be in status by some means.. I know it is a big posting and so many questions asked, I would really appreciate any knowledgeable help. Thanks.
Sameer

Originally posted by simphony80
This forum is doing wonderful job for sure.. I am really impressed with the postings and the help on this forum, which is prompting me to put up my case here.. I am on my OPT now, which expires in October. Though I am in a little better position than others regarding the next year cap, unlike others I don't have a company that is ready to give me a H1B, which definitely puts me in a soup.. Please could someone clarify the following issues for me so that I can make some plans...
1. Last year quota was filled up by 17 Feb 03, which took many by surprise. As it was a lesson to many, most of the people will be applying in April, May and june of this year. when do you think this year's quota might be over (a rough intelligent estimate will do)?

++++++++++++++NO ONE can predict that.

2. Can I get a H1B from Company A in order to be in status without getting paid by Company A? Is it legal to be on H1B and not get paid?

++++++++++++++++++No.

If it is legal, then say after few months Company B is ready to give me H1B, will there be any problems with H1B transfer since I was not paid on my prior H1B?
3. Are the H1B transfers only possible if the job profiles are the same? I mean, say I am working as a supervisor in a Motel with my current H1B and I want to work as an engineer for another company.. will there be any problems during the H1B transfer, since the job profiles are poles apart? Will there be any problems with Green Card processing?

++++++++++++++++Transfers do not require same profile.

4. I might be able to get a consultant who can get me a software job with the assignments being on and off... But I hold a degree in Industrial Engineering and I want to work in a related field. Do you think it doesn't matter in Green Card processing to shift careers from Software to industrial engineering?

+++++++++++++++++You can shift careers fro GC, but you cannot work off and on on an H-1.

Looking at the above questions, one would easily guess that I want to be in status by some means.. I know it is a big posting and so many questions asked, I would really appreciate any knowledgeable help. Thanks.
Sameer