Work permit while GC pending

confused_alien

Registered Users (C)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello All,

Thank you for being helpful all these time. I finally submitted I-130, I-485, along with I-131, I-765, I-693, and I-864 October 9th.

I understand that while green card application is pending, and when application for work authorization is submitted together, it may take up to 90 days before the EAD is issued.

I'm currently in USA under H1B1 visa (temporary worker) and it is expiring November 1st. I'm still guaranteed the job by my current employer, however, there is no way they can employ me until I received my new EAD.
Being the only source of income currently, it is very important for me to get my work permit right away.

Based on your experience, is there any other way to get the work permit issued earlier than normal waiting time? Is there any way to get temporary extension on my current work permit?

I would have to be very lucky to get my EAD issued before November 1st, considering the whole package were not submitted until October 9th. I haven't even received the receipt# from USCIS.

Appreciate all the input!

10/09/09 - Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 - GC application based on Marriage
10/13/09 9:15 AM - Application package arrived in CHICAGO

Based on what I have seen for others on this board, getting your EAD card takes anywhere between 45 to 90 days. A lot of people get their EAD card around 60 day time frame (assuming everything goes smooth). I don't know the H1B1 extension rules, but it might be a stretch to expect your EAD by Nov 1. Dec 1 sounds a lot more reasonable.

You can apply for H1 extension (that's what I did). Or pray it would come in 20 days (which is HIGHLY unlikely). Or agree with your employer to take vacation and/or unpaid leave.