Withdrawing N-400: where to send withdrawal letter -- to lockbox or to field office?

mape

Registered Users (C)
After careful consideration, my wife has decided to withdraw her N-400, for "good", harmless reasons (not for "bad" reasons that would make her application problematic, i.e. "bad moral character"). The application was send to Texas (we are in the Washington DC area) in October, and biometrics were done a month or so ago. Her interview is scheduled for mid-February. My specific question at this point is: where should the withdrawal letter be sent?

a) To the Texas address where the N-400 was initially mailed?

b) Or to the Washington DC area address where one is supposed to show up to the interview (and where requests for re-scheduling are supposed to be sent, which is of course not applicable to this case other than knowing the relevant address)?

c) If in doubt, and to really make sure they get it before the interview, should we send two identical letters to both address (indicating at the bottom of each letter that an identical copy is being cc'ed to the other address)? Or is this overkill, or, even worse, potential source of confusion?

d) Someone in another thread mentioned that the cleanest way to close the case was to show up to the interview and tell the officer at the very beginning of the interview that she is withdrawing, to make sure the case is closed by the person handling it. Is this absolutely necessary?

Given that the interview is in about 4 weeks, we want to send the letter this week.

I understand that simply not showing up is enough to close the case, but we want to close it properly. Thanks

There is no standard abotu hwo to withdraw. I guess USCIS never assume anyone would withdrawe so that they did not set up
a withdrawal procedure. USCIS is never good at handling exceptions so that I think no matter what you do, there may not be
such thing as "close it properly". But eventually teh case will be properly clsoed. The only result is you your wife won't get citizenship anyway. If your wife does not plan to re-apply in the near future, you do not need to be concerned.

Thanks WBH. But, what address would you send the letter to?

I don't know so don't take my words for that but I natually think the Service center that receive youir applkciation
shoudl be the place you send withdrawal letter to.

You should

(1) Mention clearly in your WD letter your application receipt/case number (you can attach a full copy of your appllication) and also mention other important info like Alien Number, BoD, address etc
(2) state the reason why you withdraw
(3) sign and date
(4) send by certified mail with an return slip attached

I guess no one clearly know how USCIS process withdrawal and how long it take USCIS to send a letter to confirm
yoru withdrawl if they do send, but you can all later to confirm

Still if you care this too much and USCIS is not far off from where you live, the best way to do is to go to interview
to withdraw. Or don't withdraw at the interview but go ahead , then withdraw at oath ceremony. This way
you can experience more interesting stuff. (This assume it is not a crime to proceed when you do not even have the intention to take oath)

Thanks for your reply. We will send the letter to the Texas service center where the N-400 was originally filed. Should we cc the Washington DC area field office where the file appears to currently be (i.e. the address where my wife would have gone to interview in February if we had continued the process)? Thanks.

I would go to interview and give the letter to the immigration officer. This way I know it will be handled properly.

Thanks for your reply. We will send the letter to the Texas service center where the N-400 was originally filed. Should we cc the Washington DC area field office where the file appears to currently be (i.e. the address where my wife would have gone to interview in February if we had continued the process)? Thanks.

SHE should make an InfoPass Appt. and go to the DC Office in person to handle this OR show up for the interview and do it. USCIS is notorious for misplacing correspondence when a file is in the process of being physically transferred.

SHE should make an InfoPass Appt. and go to the DC Office in person to handle this OR show up for the interview and do it. USCIS is notorious for misplacing correspondence when a file is in the process of being physically transferred.

In that case, why not pass teh interview and hold back decision until the oath letter comes, then hold out oath as long as USCIS allows.
It is possible in life one always changes mind and maybe by that time, one again feel it is necessary
to get citizenship.

Thanks for your replies.

If I understand correctly, can one delay a withdrawal until oath time? In other words, when is the last moment she can withdraw (without causing problems for a hypothetical future N-400 application or a green card renewal)? Can she just show up for oath ceremony (when they presumably already have a nice colorful certificate of naturalization ready for her) and say "I changed my mind, I don't want to become a USC"?

Thanks for your replies.

If I understand correctly, can one delay a withdrawal until oath time? In other words, when is the last moment she can withdraw (without causing problems for a hypothetical future N-400 application or a green card renewal)? Can she just show up for oath ceremony (when they presumably already have a nice colorful certificate of naturalization ready for her) and say "I changed my mind, I don't want to become a USC"?

Of course, no one force one to become a citizen and the default is NON-citizenship. If one does not show up for oath, eventually USCIS
will close the case. If one show up but tell USCIS he/she change teh midmn, USCISD will close teh case too. If they close the case, then your wife can apply again.

One thing I learn in life is : one does not need to worry about how NOT to make enough money, or how NOT to excercise too mcuh, or how NOT to be attrative to oppose sexes, or, in your case, how NOt to be come a US citizen.

Thanks WBH. And one more completely hypothetical question, just out of curiosity: How many times would USCIS allow you to *withdraw*? I am sure very, very few people (perhaps no one) have withdrawing more than once, but, is that possible? If, for some reason, you withdraw a few times (crazy, i know, but let's suppose that happens), will USCIS raise an eyebrow and say "what's up with this person?"? Or will they just be happy to cash a few $600+ checks and not ask questions? And would this case have an impact on renewing the green card.