• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Wishing you all well as time moves quickly along!

Qewty

Registered Users (C)
Hi forum :)

It seems like such a long time since I made a post, or even visited the forums (there are so many unread posts to read! I might have to skip over a few of them). I wanted to just post and wish you all well as I know May is not too far away for all the new applicants of last year. I have stayed true to my promise to focus on my studies (while still having the USA floating around in my imagination in the background!) I graduate next year and will complete my research then also. The way time moves quickly, I know that October will be upon me soon enough, and then I will be back onto the application treadmill again.

I hope all interviews are going well, dreams are still being made and optimism keeps you going. Never forget your plan A, B and C! Particular warm wishes to the Aussie applicants and the forum friends I know from, wow, years now!

All the best!

Qewty

Hi forum :)

It seems like such a long time since I made a post, or even visited the forums (there are so many unread posts to read! I might have to skip over a few of them). I wanted to just post and wish you all well as I know May is not too far away for all the new applicants of last year. I have stayed true to my promise to focus on my studies (while still having the USA floating around in my imagination in the background!) I graduate next year and will complete my research then also. The way time moves quickly, I know that October will be upon me soon enough, and then I will be back onto the application treadmill again.

I hope all interviews are going well, dreams are still being made and optimism keeps you going. Never forget your plan A, B and C! Particular warm wishes to the Aussie applicants and the forum friends I know from, wow, years now!

All the best!

Qewty

Good to hear from you Qewty!

Hi Qewty. Yep, time certainly flies by quickly. I have tremendous regrets that we had to cancel our Frankfurt interview in July last year due to medical reasons and didn't get a second chance afterwards, despite multiple pleas.

We now hope that we'll get a second chance this upcoming May.

As planned though, we moved back to Australia at the beginning of February.
However the truth is that I am starting to wonder if that was a mistake in itself, as it is harder than expected to adjust back into the Aussie lifestyle ... thanks in part to consumer pricing that has inflated to stratospheric levels, and a deteriorating employment market. A car dealer's sales person told me today that indeed in the past three years prices had skyrocketed. We are also already missing the actual variety in stores and greater product choice, compared to Europe or the US. We had real difficulty finding furniture that we liked and was affordable at the same time. Thanks for being here, Ikea.

I'll hang around here more often in the near future, especially when either of us got selected.
Has anything changed in the whole procedure of the application process for the upcoming DV2016, compared to DV2014?

Hi Qewty. Yep, time certainly flies by quickly. I have tremendous regrets that we had to cancel our Frankfurt interview in July last year due to medical reasons and didn't get a second chance afterwards, despite multiple pleas.

We now hope that we'll get a second chance this upcoming May.

As planned though, we moved back to Australia at the beginning of February.
However the truth is that I am starting to wonder if that was a mistake in itself, as it is harder than expected to adjust back into the Aussie lifestyle ... thanks in part to consumer pricing that has inflated to stratospheric levels, and a deteriorating employment market. A car dealer's sales person told me today that indeed in the past three years prices had skyrocketed. We are also already missing the actual variety in stores and greater product choice, compared to Europe or the US. We had real difficulty finding furniture that we liked and was affordable at the same time. Thanks for being here, Ikea.

I'll hang around here more often in the near future, especially when either of us got selected.
Has anything changed in the whole procedure of the application process for the upcoming DV2016, compared to DV2014?

Good to hear from you too! Interesting perspective on re-adjusting

Hi Guys.

It is great to hear from you again. I have been thinking for a while that I should write a post about my changing attitudes towards the USA and I guess Qewty breaking her silence has been a catalyst for me writing this post.

This year I haven't thought about the DV lottery anywhere near as much as I have in the previous 2 lotteries (in fact I have barely thought about it at all since October). In the previous year I have given serious thought to moving to Canada (that idea seems ridiculous to me now) or Europe and after much thinking and consideration I have decided that I will move to the UK in June. The deciding factor was that my long term career opportunities will be much greater in the EU than they would be in Canada (and even the USA) but I think also I am drawn to the European mindset and much greater cultural diversity that exists in the EU as opposed to the USA and Canada. I returned from a holiday to Russia and the USA just 2 weeks ago and for some reason I don't quite understand yet, the USA lost a lot of allure in my mind. Maybe it was just the contrast of coming straight from Russia where people have a very strong group mentality (the group mentality exists, albeit to a lesser extent, in Europe too), but the highly individualistic nature of Americans suddenly became very apparent to me when I arrived in NYC and even more so when I arrived in the South. It was blindingly obvious to me. Before I went on this trip, I did not expect that I would experience more of a culture shock going into the USA than I did when I went into the Russia. This bothered me a lot. It is a subjective topic so I wont go on about it, however it did diminish the US a lot in my own mind. Perhaps it is a good thing for me because I think I lost a lot of productivity over the last few years dreaming about life in the USA. I remember thinking at the Dallas airport as I was waiting for my flight to Sydney that this is the first time I am leaving America when I have actually been looking forward to going back to Australia and haven't already been making plans to go back to America. I now look forward to traveling Europe (I have traveled to Western Europe previously but I am very much looking forward to traveling Eastern Europe in the future) and I have no idea when the next time I will go to America is (and that doesn't bother me at all). I honestly do not think that I will be the slightest bit phased if I do not get selected in the lottery this year and if I was to be selected, I don't think I would act upon it. This idea would have been unimaginable to me a year ago.

In the small chance that my entry into DV 2016 is selected for further processing, someone with a higher case number will be lucky enough to have my interview. I still understand why people would want to live in the USA. The USA is a great country, but I believe that I am personally much better suited to Europe than the USA. Lucky for me I already have the right to live and work in the EU through my British citizenship by descent.

Good luck to all hopeful DV entrants!

Hey Matt, thanks for the great post and sharing your thoughts and impressions. How long and how often did you actually travel to the USA? Have you lived in the UK for at least a full year before?

I agree there are cultures you can simply warm up to from the first moment (and they warm up to newcomers instantly), and others that are much more reserved initially. Obviously, having the British citizenship by descent makes it an easy move for you indeed. So there is nothing wrong with doing that and see how you like it. At least you get to experience life in Europe for an extended period and should you be selected in May, you will still have up to a year (depending on the case number) to decide where you ultimately want to live in this wonderful world, WHILE you are living in the UK. Who knows...maybe the rain and lack of sun will get to you after a few months already, or you are simply gonna love it :)

All the best to you, mate.

Hi Guys.

It is great to hear from you again. I have been thinking for a while that I should write a post about my changing attitudes towards the USA and I guess Qewty breaking her silence has been a catalyst for me writing this post.

Hi Guys.

This year I haven't thought about the DV lottery anywhere near as much as I have in the previous 2 lotteries (in fact I have barely thought about it at all since October). In the previous year I have given serious thought to moving to Canada (that idea seems ridiculous to me now) or Europe and after much thinking and consideration I have decided that I will move to the UK in June. The deciding factor was that my long term career opportunities will be much greater in the EU than they would be in Canada (and even the USA) but I think also I am drawn to the European mindset and much greater cultural diversity that exists in the EU as opposed to the USA and Canada. I returned from a holiday to Russia and the USA just 2 weeks ago and for some reason I don't quite understand yet, the USA lost a lot of allure in my mind. Maybe it was just the contrast of coming straight from Russia where people have a very strong group mentality (the group mentality exists, albeit to a lesser extent, in Europe too), but the highly individualistic nature of Americans suddenly became very apparent to me when I arrived in NYC and even more so when I arrived in the South. It was blindingly obvious to me. Before I went on this trip, I did not expect that I would experience more of a culture shock going into the USA than I did when I went into the Russia. This bothered me a lot. It is a subjective topic so I wont go on about it, however it did diminish the US a lot in my own mind. Perhaps it is a good thing for me because I think I lost a lot of productivity over the last few years dreaming about life in the USA. I remember thinking at the Dallas airport as I was waiting for my flight to Sydney that this is the first time I am leaving America when I have actually been looking forward to going back to Australia and haven't already been making plans to go back to America. I now look forward to traveling Europe (I have traveled to Western Europe previously but I am very much looking forward to traveling Eastern Europe in the future) and I have no idea when the next time I will go to America is (and that doesn't bother me at all). I honestly do not think that I will be the slightest bit phased if I do not get selected in the lottery this year and if I was to be selected, I don't think I would act upon it. This idea would have been unimaginable to me a year ago.

In the small chance that my entry into DV 2016 is selected for further processing, someone with a higher case number will be lucky enough to have my interview. I still understand why people would want to live in the USA. The USA is a great country, but I believe that I am personally much better suited to Europe than the USA. Lucky for me I already have the right to live and work in the EU through my British citizenship by descent.

Good luck to all hopeful DV entrants!

Interesting post. Much of what you say rings true with me. There is much about Europe and the UK in particular that is at least as good as the USA. For us though, the weather made the difference that the UK could not compete with, but for that reason I would not have given up our lovely lives in the UK to live in NYC or Chicago or Boston, or anywhere with crappy weather. For us, Northern California has a fabulous combination of weather, diversity, education, lifestyle and so on - I would recommend anyone to live here, the only issue is the cost of living - eye watering house prices.

I found Matt's post interesting because of course different people like or value different things, partly dependent on where you have come from. That said, the comments about Russia kind of made my jaw drop. Having grown up in a country with a repressive regime and a firm hold on the media, I very much value living in a democratic society with a free press, even with all the political problems the US has, and could never look favorably on a country that does not have those. And "group mentality" has a way of translating into nasty nationalism, witness the Balkans as just one example. Anyway don't want to turn this into a political discussion - it's absolutely true that different people value different things and that is influenced by their backgrounds - and of course this manifests in different ways for different people. (Our choice to come for example was based on real concern for our children's future, vs britsimon's being lifestyle and weather !!)

I found Matt's post interesting because of course different people like or value different things, partly dependent on where you have come from. That said, the comments about Russia kind of made my jaw drop. Having grown up in a country with a repressive regime and a firm hold on the media, I very much value living in a democratic society with a free press, even with all the political problems the US has, and could never look favorably on a country that does not have those. And "group mentality" has a way of translating into nasty nationalism, witness the Balkans as just one example. Anyway don't want to turn this into a political discussion - it's absolutely true that different people value different things and that is influenced by their backgrounds - and of course this manifests in different ways for different people. (Our choice to come for example was based on real concern for our children's future, vs britsimon's being lifestyle and weather !!)

Hi SusieQQQ,

For the record, I would never choose to live in Russia. It is not a country that I aspire to, however that does not mean that you can not find parts of their culture admirable. I believe strongly in the virtue of the West and Western values. It was very humbling for me to travel to a country where people take an almost suspicious interest in how your actually (really) feeling. The Russians always seemed concerned about other people first and then themselves. Without trying to criticize American culture, when I arrived in NYC, people seemed callous and very self centered. It hit me hard and I was kind of shocked actually that I had not noticed this on my previous trips to America. It was even more clear to me in the South. As I said previously, I believe the sudden contrast having just come from Russia drew my attention to it and now it is obvious to me. If I had to choose between living in Russia and the USA however, I would definitely choose the USA because I find Russia too authoritarian. The USA has a much more successful economy and I believe that people in America live better lives than those who live in Russia. I think Europe is a good middle ground for me. This whole topic is subjective because people value different things, I just wanted to let people know my personal reason for my diminished interest in the lottery because as some on this forum are aware, I had previously been very enthusiastic about it. I still totally understand though why other people want to live in the USA. It is still an exceptional country in my mind.

Having grown up in a country with a repressive regime and a firm hold on the media, I very much value living in a democratic society with a free press,

Just as a side note, most western nations don't live up to the true values of a 'real' democracy also, and certainly have a firm grip on the media. In fact I can tell you that in my native Germany the majority of TV- and Radio stations are owned and run by the Government and they even decide who is allowed in on the networks as a private competitor. It is as bad as it gets, with a high representation of politicians of the ruling Government party in these broadcasting networks deciding how the content of programs will be, so all content is strongly pro-Government and they lost all of the investigative-journalism. It has become increasingly obvious to the masses how much propaganda and lies the mainstream media has been issuing. ;)

Just as a side note, most western nations don't live up to the true values of a 'real' democracy also, and certainly have a firm grip on the media. In fact I can tell you that in my native Germany the majority of TV- and Radio stations are owned and run by the Government and they even decide who is allowed in on the networks as a private competitor. It is as bad as it gets, with a high representation of politicians of the ruling Government party in these broadcasting networks deciding how the content of programs will be, so all content is strongly pro-Government and they lost all of the investigative-journalism. It has become increasingly obvious to the masses how much propaganda and lies the mainstream media has been issuing. ;)

I always find it interesting that people from democratic countries say things like this. Yes, I kind of get what you say. You are judging it compared to some highest ideal - and there is nothing wrong with that. But you have never lived in a country where the press is outright censored and journalists are jailed without trial for reporting the truth. I have. It's kind of sweetly naive how 'restricted' you think your press is. You've never lived in a country where you can be put in jail for owning the wrong book or music recording. I have. You've never lived in a country where people die in police detention and the official story is "they slipped on a bar of soap in the shower". I have. My country has changed, but others remain just as bad. As I have said many times before, there is a huge difference between those looking for a lifestyle change and some of those who desperately just want freedom to live normally . Which is why I was so sad at some of the South American entries whose CNs were too high last year. Quite frankly, for those who have the option to live in Europe or australia or wherever,.. You have no idea how lucky you are to have options that are all good.

PS: MattK clearly met some very different Russians to the ones I met on my trip there a few years ago...

I can assure you there is a very real difference between Russia and Germany when it comes to freedom of the press. I would say that the press in the Western nations have a large degree of freedom.

PS: MattK clearly met some very different Russians to the ones I met on my trip there a few years ago...

The Russians I met and stayed with were some of the best people I have ever met. Not just the ones I came to know quite well, but even the 'strangers' I met on the street or in passing were all extremely polite and seemed eager to show goodwill and warm feelings.

It's kind of sweetly naive how 'restricted' you think your press is. You've never lived in a country where you can be put in jail for owning the wrong book or music recording. I have. You've never lived in a country where people die in police detention and the official story is "they slipped on a bar of soap in the shower". I have. My country has changed, but others remain just as bad. As I have said many times before, there is a huge difference between those looking for a lifestyle change and some of those who desperately just want freedom to live normally .
Which is exactly why I never mixed the two in one basket and purely ever speak from a lifestyle seeker's point of view. It is obvious and understandable that you feel strongly about this, but it is equally obvious that there is no point in comparing the state of freedom in places like South Africa with 'the modern western' nations. People in Germany for instance are not suppressed in obvious ways, or beaten or put in jail for speaking up, but what I was getting at is that the media is predominantly owned and run by the Government, even though they claim it is independent. The content is obvious to more often than not to not reflect the truth, or not even cover the facts 'independently'. People are actually forced to pay a 'broadcasting' levy of 18 Euros per month to support their highly corrupt media reporting, comprising nearly 70 TV and Radio stations, that comes to a budget of nearly 8 billion Euros per year. It is similar to the UK's broadcasting fee ('TV license') but on a much much bigger scale, to the point that the private networks have a low chance of competing with them to keep a balance. The so called 'free press' in Germany and their appointed collection agent collects all this money by force and have the means to outbid all the private networks when it comes to bidding for broadcasting rights of major sports events etc. They recently upped the ante and actually prosecute people who do not want to support this pro-Government media via forced payments. The new rule is: If you have an address to live at, you have to pay (it is mandatory to register your address in Germany and they send the files to that collection agent every month!). If you have a car, you have to pay (as that 'could have' a radio). Every business has to pay, even if they don't have a radio or TV at work - they have to pay multiples of that 18 Euros, to the point where Companies with many employees, offices or stores have to pay hundreds of thousands of Euros per annum to support this Government run media network. They close people's bank accounts, force their employers to deduct the 'debt' from their salaries/wages or from any tax credit they may have at other Government agencies.
This is the 'modern' version of suppression and propaganda ;)

Last edited:
Russia and China are the brainwashing runners-up. The champion would be NKorea.
However, I would agree that media can be abused and deliberately biased even in developed countries.
Whatever the degree of brainwashing, the trick is that it would not even occur to the majority of the population that they were being brainwashed.

That's not true. Susie, I live here and I know better than you. What repression? They were in the 1930s of the last century. The same freedom and democracy is in Russia. You're talking nonsense and lies. This is his personal opinion. You perceive this opinion in its as the truth.

No, the modern version of suppression and propaganda is to control access to the Internet too and lock you up for what you just posted - like they do in China and Russia ;)
nonsense. I visit any sites in the world. In China, maybe I do not live there.
I always find it interesting that people from democratic countries say things like this. Yes, I kind of get what you say. You are judging it compared to some highest ideal - and there is nothing wrong with that. But you have never lived in a country where the press is outright censored and journalists are jailed without trial for reporting the truth. I have. It's kind of sweetly naive how 'restricted' you think your press is. You've never lived in a country where you can be put in jail for owning the wrong book or music recording. I have. You've never lived in a country where people die in police detention and the official story is "they slipped on a bar of soap in the shower". I have. My country has changed, but others remain just as bad. As I have said many times before, there is a huge difference between those looking for a lifestyle change and some of those who desperately just want freedom to live normally . Which is why I was so sad at some of the South American entries whose CNs were too high last year. Quite frankly, for those who have the option to live in Europe or australia or wherever,.. You have no idea how lucky you are to have options that are all good.

delirium, delirium, delirium. Suzie you're okay. I think you need a doctor.

Russia and China are the brainwashing runners-up. The champion would be NKorea.
However, I would agree that media can be abused and deliberately biased even in developed countries.
Whatever the degree of brainwashing, the trick is that it would not even occur to the majority of the population that they were being brainwashed.
You brainwashed by Western propaganda. You are not smart enough to open and read Russian sites.

Honestly, people like Susie and Sensei in the United States do nothing.

MattK, why did you write it. While yes, you said that it is a subjective opinion. But some once again want to write bad to Russia and throw a stone without reason. Okay, would write the truth and then lie.

People, do not be a sheep, and think with your head and do not believe the media and do not take positions for the truth, the man who all his life does not like Russia.

If I do not like apple juice, it does not mean that it is not tasty.

Last edited: