• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Winners, did you expect to selcted? Your reaction to being selected?

LoveAmerica

Registered Users (C)
Here share your experiences about being selected in past DV lotteries or maybe even current. Were you sure you were going to be selected, uncertain or did not think the slightest you would be selected? Post your thoughts here and explain how it turned out.

I was 2005 winner and I was not sure I will be selected, but, it happened. When KCC start sending the winning letters out, every one starts checking the mail box with hope and winning feeling to get that letter

Dv2011

I know Im not current yet... but still :)!

When I filled the form on november 2009, I put my parent's address, so they sent the letter at my parent's but they didnt open it, so the letter has been at their house since May 2010 and I just found out in July when I checked online!
I actually checked on the web site just to see how it looked like, but I was sure I didn't win (since the odds for winning so low!!!!)
When I saw the results, I stayed speechless for 5 min... but still couldn t believe it, then I called my dad, he looked for the letter and called me back to let me know they received it, he scanned the documents and emailed it to me!
I was at work that day, I WAS SO HAPPY AND THANKFUL, Im still thanking God everyday for that blessing :)

Atlanta Here Im coming.... BACK!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I never thought of being selected even in my widest dreams. Participating was a formality to me (was my first time though). I came back on the 5th of July from an exam which I was sitting for
and a friend of mine we both played together same time was like guy how far, have u checked ur status of the DV lottery. I have checked
mine and nothing to show he said...I think u should check urs and I was like alright I will just to do what I was doing. After two days very late at night
when I was browsing I was like let me just check this thing afterall they don't pay for checking and is of no harm. When I did saw Dear selectee
I was like is not true....I went mute immediately and kept starring at my system.....I recheck like five times simultaneously and got same message before calling on my parents and siblings.
I was sooooooooooo happy but then I was so nouvish about the whole thing...went on google search engine to find sites that were related to DV lottery
and GOD so kind I found immigration portal forum....I keep thanking GOD for showing me this great forum.

All the best to everyone!!!!

It was a habit for me to send an application every year and to forget it.. i never expected to win,, even I didnt bother to follow up...
the envelope was sent to my mother as i put her address,,, the funny thing is that she told me i recieved an envelope from Kentucky... and I ignored it and left it for 2 weeks as i thought it was from kentucky fried chicken KFC,, I said i was fed up with their ads!!!!! never expected it was from the immigration!!!

My close friend suggested me to make an application. I always used to see those ad's but never was interested. I said "no way", my friend said "you can never know!" (in English).

Then one day i saw the yellow envelope in my father's hand, i didnt even know what it was. I totally forgot about that lottery. I saw "consular center" on the envelope and felt my heart beating like crazy. I tryed to open the envelope a lil roughly, finally i was sure that i was selected. I still wasnt sure if i could get it until i found out that small case number is a big advantage.

So that was my story and i am currently waiting for my number to b current on September. Good luck to everyone.

The Lottery is purely based on luck. One of my friend applied for lottery just for name sake along with other friends, but the one who applied casually got selected apart from other people.

I had business contacts in the usa for almost decade and it was really time consuming to applay for visa all the time when my friend suggested I should play lottery .. I did and won first time around ..I don't really use it that much ..I do live in the US for better part of the calendar year but I in fact work for AUS based company just running their US office on tem. basis .. actualyl never used my GC other then to show it to border officers..nor SSN for that matter ..don't belive I used that one either ..when i won the GC I can't really say it was life altering experience or something like that ..it was was more like ..oh well I got it ..good thing ..not much emotions I'm afraid

Last edited by a moderator:
uh i would not go that far ..to say something like that ..maybe if you win real lottery and become rich ..!?

It will be their happiest moment in their life. Life in USA is bit different from other countries and they can become rich in short duration of time.

A???..rich in short time ...doing what ??..sorry but I have to ask you for some examples since I did not meet anyone who made money here in ''short duration time ''.. best example I have is some guy who worked for 20 years and saved around 2000 dollars and then struck gold by winning state of NY lottery jackpot scratch ticket two yeras before he died of cancer (true story )

Becoming rich is purely depends upon individual. If he would have saved half of his salary every month by the time he would have richest person. We have to work hard and also we have to save money thats the best option to become rich.

Becoming rich is purely depends upon individual. If he would have saved half of his salary every month by the time he would have richest person. We have to work hard and also we have to save money thats the best option to become rich.

if you think you can get rich in the USA by working for someone you are sadly mistaken ..I never met anyone who got rich like that ..not in the USA anyway

comming to the USA these days is like when you come to the party late ..ALL THE FOOD AND DRINKS ARE GONE AND ALL THE GOOD LOOKING GIRLS ALREADY HOOKED UP WITH SOMEONE ...so you get fat ugly girl and some stale bread ...and the guy who made that party is telling you he will make another party in 2-3 years time and it will be crazy like before but you know its not gonna happen for you ....:p

comming to the USA these days is like when you come to the party late ..ALL THE FOOD AND DRINKS ARE GONE AND ALL THE GOOD LOOKING GIRLS ALREADY HOOKED UP WITH SOMEONE ...so you get fat ugly girl and some stale bread ...

LMAO !!!! That just made my day......that's tooo funny...

(Not being rude to big girls anywhere...seriously)

if you think you can get rich in the USA by working for someone you are sadly mistaken ..I never met anyone who got rich like that ..not in the USA anyway

comming to the USA these days is like when you come to the party late ..ALL THE FOOD AND DRINKS ARE GONE AND ALL THE GOOD LOOKING GIRLS ALREADY HOOKED UP WITH SOMEONE ...so you get fat ugly girl and some stale bread ...and the guy who made that party is telling you he will make another party in 2-3 years time and it will be crazy like before but you know its not gonna happen for you ....:p

Option varies from person to person. I accept with your point most of them are in the situation as you said.I had seen person who had become rich. He is running a company now, everything is based on his hard work.

one in a million chance for that ...but thats american dream ...many would fail but only few would become rich ..its so called ..pipe dream..they dangle the carrot in front of you ..so maybe one day you will get rich by married rich gorl or struck lottery ticket ..i worked hard ..up to 14 hours a day for almost 7 years ..and I have nothing to show for ..getting certified as a prison guard so maybe I will get something from this country after all ..they lock up so many people here that the so called ''prison '' industry would be the best option for lots of people to make a living y guarding all those ''criminals''