Will not paying Estimated Taxes on time affect my citizenship application?

jessiewei

Registered Users (C)
I will have my interview next month but now I am wondering if I will get any trouble if I did not pay the quarterly estimated taxes for 2009 but I did answer "No" to the "taxes owe" question on my N-400.

Starting from 2008 I sold stuff on eBay and earned some money so I was supposed to pay estimated taxes in 2009. However, in 2009 I got married and I formed an S corporation to do the eBay thing (not sole proprietorship any more), these changes will definitely affect my taxable income and tax liability for 2009. Therefore the estimated tax amounts would be different too. In addition, my eBay sales are seasonal and are much higher in the last quarter than any other time during the year, so I preferred keeping the money to run my business and making a one-time payment with penalties rather than paying taxes equally in every quarter ( I know many busness people are doing the same thing so I believe it's legal to do that).

I have not yet filed my 2009 tax return and I planned to do that after my interview, then pay the estimated taxes and penalties together with my return. Do you guys think I should recalculate and pay the tax before my interview and explain it to VO or I just do nothing and explain only when VO asks related question?

Thanks a lot!

If you taxes aren't due till after the interview, then you can check NO on the form. However, if they are due next week and your interview is February 14th, 2010, then YES would be appropriate, unless you have an extension. Lastly, when it comes to taxation, don't do what you think is legal and other business owners are doing, when IRS comes for your blood, they aren't concerned about others, only your skin to bleed with pain. IRS can be a beast with money...

I'll just say unless you have some mass misconduct in tax or IRS has raised any issue with you, you should assume you do not have any tax issue for the immigration purpose. USCIS can not be more IRS-ish than IRS just like IRS can not be USCIS-ish than USCIS and you do not have to treat yourself more harshly than IRS/USCIS treat you

Last edited by a moderator: