Wifes N-400 application.... stuck in Name Check??

BritishGuy

Registered Users (C)
Would like to get a little advice on the following if I may.......

Mrs filed N-400 (Application for Naturalization) in December 2014 under the 3 year rule (via Marriage). Fingerprints were done on February 15th, 2015. We've been waiting ever since. 3 months have passed since fingerprints (5 months total) and it seems that on trackitt.com others that applied about 6 weeks after my wife have received their letters for interview.

What is keeping my wife from receiving an interview date? Name check? Background check? FBI checks? How long should she wait until she can do something (and what can she do if anything) to speed the process up. I know 5 months from filing may not sound like such a long time from the date of filing, but seeing others who filed after my wife receive their interview letters just makes us feel uneasy. Have they forgotten about my wifes case? Is there anything we can do? We've called the USCIS and spoken to a Tier 2 agent. Just been given a very generic answer that "the case is being processed". As for infopass appointments, at this point I'm fairly certain they'll be giving us the same generic answers too.

After how much time can any action be taken (if any)?

Sorry, just to make a BIG amendment to the above. Fingerprints were done on January 15th 2015. So 5 months have passed total (4 months since fingerprints).

Thanks for the reply Harry. Yeah, the folks I'm referring to are in the NYC district. Same as us. I'm trying my best to compare apples to apples. We called the FBI service number today and they said they cleared her fingerprints a few seconds after they received them. So we know it's not the fingerprints holding the process up.

Can anyone let me know how long can they take at the 'pre-interview' stage in doing their 'thing'? Is there a time limit they need to adhere to after the fingerprints/before the interview?

So, NYC as of March 31 was processing applications from August 25. That's a seven month lag. It's still possible that your application is on track. Unfortunately there's no legal limit on how long the background checks can take.

Go for infopass. At least you can know if the background check is completed or not. If it's stuck in background check the only thing you can do is keep following up with them via calling, Infopass, and congressman help