Why would a USCBP officer ask what your job is when entering on GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaSenators

Registered Users (C)
I recently received my GC thru EB-2. On my first trip to Canada, on the way back, the USCBP officer asked me what my job was to which I replied: "Electronics engineer and I still work for my GC sponsor if that's what you're inquisitive about." He did not say anything to that. I almost told him: I'm no longer on work visa or EAD and what the heck has my job got to do with coming back to the US? I had a feeling he was just being a smart arse asking this question. We know the 6 month rule is a myth and there is no written law about it and you're pretty much free to take whatever job you want after GC. Heck, you can even stay home and do nothing.

Well, he might have asked you more questions, but if you are not violating your immigration status, you are fine. In general, it is not a good idea to lie to an officer. You can give more positive answer than "I am unemployed" and don't have to lie. You can mention what your profession is and that you in the middle of changing jobs or something.

There is nothing in the book that says if you're an unemployed GC holder, you'll be subject to deportation or revocation of your GC. Plus this is all out of a USCBP officer's hands anyway. Only an immigration judge can order a deportation or a revocation. Let's say hypothetically you have violated the 1 year rule. USCBP should still let you in but send you to an immigration court because you've abandoned your PR.

So if I had said I was unemployed, he wouldn't have given me trouble?
No
As you yourself mentioned, apparently having researched the 6 month rule myth, one could stay home and do nothing once a legal permanent resident. But never a good idea to, for lack of better phrasing, egotistic, just because you have a green card. I am a USC, and was once asked 'why are you here' (while presenting my US passport at POE). The CBP officer was just testing my response.. that is part of his job!

CBP has wide discretion as to what they may inquire about upon US entry.

Egotistic?!! I think the CBP officer is being egotistic in this case. The more I think about it, the more I realise it is a stupid question on his part just because he does have access to my history on his computer screen.

He probably looked at my history and noticed the previous entries on H1-B, TN and EAD/AP and tried to be a smart arse about it and thought to himself: oh let me give him a bit of a hard time by asking a dumb question... In other words, a power trip emboldened by the current administration!! Heck, if they keep Muhammed Ali Clay's son, a US born citizen from the city of brotherly love Philadelphia, in the airport USCBP for hours, what can we as foreigners expect?!! I'm glad he's suing them.

Jeez calm down dude. Maybe it was a power trip, or maybe you're being over-sensitive and he was just doing his job.
Many Canadians with GCs skate on thin ice with their green cards and boast about it in various forums (example: actually working/living in canada and popping over occasionally to keep their GCs), maybe he was just making sure you weren't one of those.

"..a stupid question on his part.."?
Dude, CBP can, if it so chooses to, ask you any relevant question. @SusieQQQ is right, perhaps the officer was on a power trip, or perhaps you're being over-sensitive. Regardless, CBP has discretion, by US law. Even if they have answers on their computer screen.

If you disagree, feel free to check out their website. If you believe your rights as an LPR were violated, no one is stopping you from filing a complaint with the CBP.

No rights were violated and I just want to know if this is a usual question from a GC holder. It has nothing to do with my ego. Remember I just got my GC and thought I got rid of this line of questionings about my career every time I cross the border. The questions that make more sense to ask a GC holder are customs questions and the length of your stay outside the US.

And as for Canadians who violate their PR requirements, that is very hard these days because the airlines share both your exit and entry dates with both governments. And there's also a "commuter GC" option available to Canadians and Mexicans. But that's another topic. Anyway, my GC is way too young and still hot out of oven for the CBP officer to suspect PR violations.

So this is still an odd question to ask someone on whom they have all sorts of info and history considering I've been working in the US for 14 years. Even on TN or H1 I was asked about my job only a few times. Maybe I am still in cultural shock (after all these years) how the American gov't tries to catch violators by throwing an odd question to see their reaction and try to catch them lying. We are more British in our ways and we capture intelligence in different ways.

We are more British in our ways and we capture intelligence in different ways.

I find this a hilarious statement. Have you travelled often to the UK? I have traveled there countless times and I can tell you without hesitation that US CBP are way, way more friendly and polite and way less power-trippy than their UK equivalents, especially the ones at LHR. (By the way I am from an ex-colony and we are also much more British in our culture ...)

I beg to differ. Yes I have traveled to the UK and a few EU countries numerous times. But I have a Canadian passport. So my experience might be different than yours especially when it comes to the UK. We are still a British Commonwealth country after all. In Germany, I was asked zero questions, literally! Before the German experience, I thought Canadian border guys were the nicest and the most welcoming.

Anyway, this is getting way off the topic. The purpose of this thread is to see if other GC holders experienced the same or similar question and what their circumstances were. I am not here to argue what the rights of CBP officers are. They can ask the size of my underpants for all I care. Let's stay on the topic.

I've been a permanent resident for almost 2.5 years now, and traveled abroad for short periods 6-7 times. Each time I returned, in at least 5 different POEs (most recently at JFK 2 weeks ago), I was asked what was my job.

I think that CBP officers are just trying to confirm that your stay abroad was temporary by nature (yes, even short stays abroad can theoretically break your continuous presence), and that you maintained your ties to the US. Asking about your job is the easiest way to do that. I don't think that at any POE the Q&A ever exceeded 1.5 minutes, and even that because the officers sometimes express interest in what I teach (I'm a university professor).

Nothing to worry about.

Whatever you were asked may be odd, but it bears repeating the millionth time.. CBP has discretion to ask all POE entrants relevant questions. As part of their Inspection, you were asked a relevant question; whether or not your sensibilities were hurt, CBP doesn't really care.

You were admitted, end of story. Why we have a back and forth on CBP's rights on this thread, I have no idea. Be prepared for similar questions.. or none at all.. on a future entry.

I've been a permanent resident for almost 2.5 years now, and traveled abroad for short periods 6-7 times. Each time I returned, in at least 5 different POEs (most recently at JFK 2 weeks ago), I was asked what was my job.

I think that CBP officers are just trying to confirm that your stay abroad was temporary by nature (yes, even short stays abroad can theoretically break your continuous presence), and that you maintained your ties to the US. Asking about your job is the easiest way to do that. I don't think that at any POE the Q&A ever exceeded 1.5 minutes, and even that because the officers sometimes express interest in what I teach (I'm a university professor).

Nothing to worry about.
Thanks Veggie3 for sharing your experience. So I am not alone :). It is a norm to be asked that question and your explanation makes more logical sense. This is the type of post I am looking for unlike replies like this: "Oh CBP has the right to ask you any questions and give you a full cavity search, sieg heil USCBP :D" Just kidding but some people go overboard instead of giving a logical explanation and/or sharing their own experience.

Btw other than my first long trip out, when I got asked how long I’d been out for, I’ve never been asked anything at all as a GC holder. But I do understand that different people get asked different things dependent on circumstances. No reason to go online and moan about officers being “smart arses” for asking questions. So.... Top tip for going through border posts: grow a thicker skin.

Simply because you don't like those replies about CBP's rights does not make them untrue.

CBP officer: What's your job?
You: Electronics engineer. (Could have been end of story, but you chose to volunteer the additional "..and I still work for my GC sponsor if that's what you're inquisitive about..")

See where you went offtrack?

However, my GC is not even 6 months old. How can I violate PR requirements in such a small window? The officer is not paying attention to the date of issuance of my GC? Doesn't they need at least a 12 month window to check for PR violations.

Also, is there anyone here who has traveled with GC while being unemployed and what were their experiences?

And to the so-called thick skinned CBP lovers: Just because you love to defend CBP, it doesn't make the organization free from incompetent employees and high school dropouts! Please if you can't add relevant info to the thread, take your trolling elsewhere. It's so obvious who the real snowflakes are who keep coming back with their trolling replies. Just give up on this thread and move on. You're not adding any value.

Wow, sensitive much? I keep coming back because you’re funny.

And actually I can answer some of your latest questions. No they don’t “need” a 12 month window, they can ask whenever they like - I got asked after being out 5 months. (I didn’t think the guy was being an egotistical smart arse though, I thought he was doing his job.) Depends on your travel history.
As for being “unemployed”, depends what you mean by that. Technically that means you’re looking for a job but can’t find one; I don’t work, by choice, and have travelled regularly like this. I’ve never once been asked what my job is. Again, I suspect this is more likely for Canadian crossings for the reasons I suggested earlier that you were so quick to dismiss (for invalid reasons btw, like you didn’t take road crossings into account, and that a commuter green card works the opposite way to what the concern is and looks different to yours).

By the way, you don’t have the right to tell me where I can and can’t post on the forum. That’s the way the internet works. Calling me names isn’t gonna chase me away either, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.