Which way is the best?

sooo_tired

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to land next weekend. I need to land and go to toronto. I will be using rental car. And I am right now in St.Louis,MO.

Can you guys suggest me which route is the best? I believe I have to go through Detroit and land through that border, But I am not sure. Can someone guide me please?

Thanks.

I believe that would be the shortest route for you. Its about 3 hrs from the Detroit-Windsor border to Toronto.

Sooo_tired, please post your decision and landing experience later. Interestingly, I am in St. Louis too, but I have not yet get my visa....
And, do you think take a photo at boarder will be better than bring your own, heard so many photo problems that you have to pick up PR card in person, which is very inconvenient (if one on H1 and don't want to stay longer enough to get PC card...)
Thanks.

My experience landing by air in Toronto Pearson is the best and has least problems. If you cannot fly try Port Huron/Sarnia border. Avoid Detroit/Windsor.

metaman,

After some study, looks like Detroit/Windsor is the best route for me (shortest, easier..) Could you please tell me why you said "Avoid Detroit/Windsor"? Any bad experience?
Thanks for your help.

I landed via the Detroit Windsor tunnel on the 28th of Dec 2004 using a rental car. It was a smooth experience.

sapota1 ,

Thanks for the great info. I believe you've returned to US already. Have you received your PR card from your Canada address? How long does it take? Your destinaion is Toronto or Windsor?

It took about a month to receive the cards in our family friends house which was in a smaller town 3 hrs north of Toronto (in Ontario ). Windsor was just our landing point, destination was Toronto.

There was not much of a rush at the immigration counter. Could be because of the holiday time we chose to land. Theres also the Ambassador bridge in Detroit that you can enter Windsor.

We returned to US using the 30 day automatic revalidation of I94 with expired H visas. Return was also surprisingly smooth.

sapota1 ,

Great! Those info are really useful for me, thanks a lot!
I will pretty much do the same soon...

Guys,
Just wanted to let you all know that our landing process was pretty cool. We landed via Sarnia border and no issues. Went by rental car. It took about 20 mins for the whole process. Those canadian officers were pretty cool. No Hassles.

We came back using our AP. Took about and hour and 15 mins at the border.
Anybody got any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for all your help.

To SOOO Tired
Can you please tell us in more detail when coming back with advance Parole, what the U.S immigration officer ask you and what kind of documents you gave them. What was their reaction when they saw the Canadian stamp in your passport?
Thanks

Our Experience:

While Landing:
1) Went through the MI/Sarnia Border. Reached there around 11AM on Friday. No Rush in the lanes.
2)We gave our passports and CPR Docs.
3)At the booth, the officer asked us the following questions:
-Country of Citizenship- India
-Reason for visiting Canada- We said landing to complete the immigration process.
-How many days are you going to stay now- We said a few days.
-How much money do you have in your possession: we said $10,000 in cashier cheques and 400 in cash
-Do you own this car?- We said no its a rental car
-Where are you heading to in canada- We said ontorio as my sister lives there
-What items are you importing? We said nothing except our belongings and a gift for my nephew
-Any items from duty free shop? We said NOPE
-Are you carrying any fire arms? We said no.
4) Then the officer gave us the yellow slip and pointed us to go to the immigration building and said someone will assist us once we go there
5)We reached the immigration building and a couple of lady officers came out and gave us directions to park our car.
6)They asked for the yellow slip. Looked at it and told us to go inside and gave us the directions to the immigration counter

At the immigration counter:
1) We reached the immigration counters and there were no one in the que. I think there were 2 officers working on that day.
2) Officer called us. We went to the counter and wished him. He wished us in return.
3) We told him that we are doing our landing process and gave him them passports, CPR docs and they yellow slip.
4)Officer asked the following questions:
-What will be your address in canada- Gave him my sisters address
-How much money do you have in your possession- Told the same as above
-How many days are you planning to stay during this trip- we said we will stay for a few days and return to US and will come back at a later date.
-Asked us about the belongings- Said they will come at a later date
5) He told us to take seats and after 10 mins he called us.
6) Asked us to sign on the CPR and said that we should receive our PR cards in 3 weeks to 6 months.
7) Gave our docs back and told us to go to the Customs counter.
8) Wished him thanks and went to customs.

At customs counter:
1) A lady officer called us
2) We went to the counter and wished her
3) Told her we just completed our immigration process and gave her passports, CPR, Yellow slip.
4) Gave her 2 copies of Goods to follow list
5) She asked us whether we are driving our own car- We said no its a rental car
6) She asked us what do we have in the car- We said our cloths, belongings and a gift to my nephew and some snacks to munch during the drive
7) She laughed and asked us whether she can keep a copy of the goods to follow list.- We said sure why not.
8) She went in made copies of our visa,CPR, Yellowslip
9) I told her about the jewellery and asked her if she needs the pictures of the jewellery--She said oh that would be very helpful.
10) Asked how much money we have- We said $10,000 in cashiers check and about $400 in cash. She took the checks and made copies of them.
11) Asked us how much worth the stuff in the car will be--we said probably less then 100 bucks
12) She made notes of all these things. Then gave us a form to fill up about the $10,000 checks. She said that since 9/11 they got a rule that they should report all the money that is coming in or going out of the country. She said she will mail that form to the treasury .
13) Gave us a form to import our car later
14) Signed our Goods to follow list and attached a form along with that, signed the pictures of the jewellery, gave us the passports, CPR docs, Car importing doc ect and said we are all set.
15) We wished her and said "you are so polite - We appreciate your help". She laughed and said you are welcome.

And then we went out and the officer outside took back the yellowslip and directed us how to go out. Thats it.
On the whole we had a very pleasent experience with the canadian officers on the whole. Everything went smooth.

From there we hit the road and drove like a mad dog :) Was very happy that finally after 2 yrs of wait, we became canadian residents.

While coming back to US using our AP's:
1) We came back through the same sarnia border. Just a few cars before us. Sunday around 11:30AM
2) At the booth, we gave our passports and Advance payroll documents.
3) pointed to the officer that we are using our Advance payroll.
4) He asked how many days were were in canada- We said 2 days
5) Are you importing anything from canada-we said no
6) How many people in the car- We said 2 people. Then the officer leaned and looked over at my wife and said there you are and laughed.
7) He gave us a slip and Then he pointed us to go to the immigration building to complete the process.
8)Wished him and left to the building.
9)As soon as we reached the building, a lady officer came out and directed us to park our car and go in.
10) We went in and there were not many people there.
11)So we are standing there and an officer called us.
12) We went to the counter and handed him the passports and AP's
13) Looks like the officer was junior. He looked at the passports and the AP's and asked us where is your visa?
14) He said you dont have a valid visa? How can you enter without a valid visa?
15) We said-"No we dont have a valid visa, thats why we are using our AP's to enter"
16) Then he said "Oh i see what you are saying. Please wait"
17) He went to his desk..did something...and he asked his co-workers a few questions about the AP ect..
18) Later he went in and gave our docs to another officer.
19) That officer came to the counter and called our names. We went to the counter and he gave our stamped AP's and passports back to us and said you are all set.
20) We wished him and hit the road again.
21) No one asked us about our canadian stamp on the passports.
22) They just asked us where did we go and what did we do in canada thats all.

On the whole the process took about 1hr 20 mins. we went in there at 11;40 and came back out at around 1pm; No issues but a long wait. And its worth it right?

But at the counter we saw a couple of other poeple having really a hard time coz on of the other immigration officers was very rude with them and yelling at them all over the place.
We thought.."Thank god.He didnt get us" We were so sorry about those other guys that are having hard time with him.

Thats our experience. If any of you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need help with landing

Thank you for your detailed landing experience. We are planning to land during July long weekend. I do not have any friends or relatives in Canda to give the address. Do youhave any idea if there is any other way to find an address? We are planning to return to US as soon as the landing is complete.

Also, do we need to land to the province we mention in the application or can we land in any province we like? We are planning to fly into Canada from Denver. Is this a good way to land or do we need to drive?

Are there anything else I need to know. All your answers will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

jo_soma,

Sorry for the late reply. Was busy.
I am not sure what else address can you give if you dont have a friend or family in canada. Try to find out if your friends have any friends or family so that you can use their address if they dont mind.

I dont think landing in any other province would be a problem. But with the immigration guys, we never know.
I have no idea about landing by air, but people on this forum who landed by air has some good experiences. So it shouldnt be a problem I guess.

Just take all the documents with you and everything will go fine.
Good Luck.