Whether SAP will help in Migrating to US/Canada?

BlueJupitor

Registered Users (C)
Whether SAP will help in Migrating to US/Canada?

My name is Abhijit and I have 9 years of experience in Software field. Initially around 2 years in developement using VB on windows and then C++ on unix but later on I got moved to tesing filed and so my majority of current expeirence is in testing of different type of applications from telecommunication domain ranging from number portability, self-care, Amdocs billing system etc. Also, please note that this was more of manual testing rather than any automated testing and could not get much chance to learn automated tesing. I tried learning winrunner scripting but have up half way, as I frustrated to find that the quality of the product could be much better if I were part of the development rather than wasting the effort in testing once the product is about to be launced.
From last 5 years, I am working in one of the best Indian IT company. I have experience to work in US too for around two years at the client location. On an average, I did an excellent job in my career as tester, though I thought I could do much better things, if it were in scope. Mostly testing has a very limited scope and as a tester, my hands were always tied. After working for long duration as tester, now, I have been promoted to the role of project manager, that means I manage a team of testers. The work is okay, compensation is very good but I do not see much challenge and future looks to be empty.While working in testing projects, I do not see that I have done much value addition to my career. There is no much of learning. These days I do not find much interest in my work too, as if I spend too much effort in the work, I see that effort is mis-placed. If the similar effort, I put in development work, then it will be all together a different story than spending this much effort in testing.This make me feel that I need to change my field from testing to some thing else where my creativity and potential can be utilised better. Now, my role is of project manager, but I do not think that I am doing very good in people-management. I am interested in technical work rather than people -management work.
Now, the important part of this query is that I am very much interested to relocate and settle down in US, not for earning $$, but to enjoy the quality of life over there. Please note that I am 30+ and I have my family over here. I am getting my H1 visa processed which will be done in another couple of months.
Now, my problem is that before I land in US, I need to develop another skill for myself. Project management which we do at offshore centers will not help me in getting a job in US.My most current work experience is of tesing of Amdocs billing applications , but I do not want to look for tester's job for the whole of my life. I am researching on various options available and got different suggestions, SAP,Oracle, Java, MQ series, .Net.. but personally I find SAP as an exciting thing to do.
Now, If I go to SAP training institutes for SAP traning, - like FI/Co etc, they say it will not be appropriate. They suggest me to do ABAP or BASIS.
Can any body suggests me that If after all the odds, I go for SAP, how much chances is that I can get a job in US. I am NOT looking for a very highly paid one.
If chances are very less to get a SAP job without experience in the required field, can any body please suggest me any skill which I can develop which will be good in long run and which will help me in settling in US or Canada. Personally I want to work in a field where the work which I do brings some value addition in me, I mean where I learn some thing which I can use in future.All these days, I worked in projects, which my company gave.. but now I have money to support myself and so I think I can work in a filed which interests me more though it does not pay me as much.
Regards
Abhijit (netsurfer_m25.at.yahoo.kom)