• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Where Will You Be Moving To And Why

scooby-doo

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

I thought it would be interesting to see where all the lucky 2008 DV winners will be moving to and why. This might help the ones who are still not sure.

Take a few minutes and drop a few lines explaining the reasons. Thank you

New York -

a) Because I love the place
b) Because I have to get 'living there' out of my system
c) I can get by there without a car which means the higher rent doesn't really worry me especially for 12 months.

I want to give myself 12 months there and then see what that brings. I am doing all of this on my own so I'm not worrying about schools for children, spouse finding employment etc. It is just me and the big wide USA!

For my profession, work opportunities in NY, Boston and Washington are quite good. :)

I have already chosen an area that I want to live and will be going through one of the furnished apartment brokers for my apartment. Without credit score or a job, getting an apartment upon landing is basically impossible so I am getting a furnished apt for a year and that also means if it all doesn't work out and I want to come home, I can basically just pack up and leave.

I just want to get there!! This time in two weeks, I'll know what I'll be doing! I cannot wait!!

If all goes to plan, I'll be landing in NY on the 2nd of August. *fingers and toes crossed*

If the GC doesn't go ahead I am thinking of going over and trying to get a job offer and then going the E3 route. I just can't imagine the US not being in my future plans! :)

I hope that is enough info! :)

Utah.
Why? I lived there for few years, it's quite cheap (from what I'm used to in Europe), quite a few jobs are in the greater Salt Lake area, people are friendly and like to help, much lower crime rate than the average U.S. state...Great climate, it's done wonders for my health, I hardly ever got colds, flu and stuff like that, when I was there.
Great outdoorsy state, very sunny and warm for months, many fantastic national parks one can visit on the weekends, great snow in the winter if you love snow and love winter sports...
And another important factor, my good friends are there!

At least for the first few months....I may feel the urge to move somewhere else later on. I LOVE New England too! It's absolutely gorgeous. I really liked Maine, but would like to check out Vermont or Connecticut too, maybe Mass. On the western part of the U.S., Portland, OR and Seattle area interest me the most.

I've been living in the north Atlanta suburbs for almost 2 years now with an H1-B visa. It's really nice here, Buckhead and downtown Atlanta are pretty close, there are a lot of parks around... I won't say the weather is good because it very much depends on the person. You can always check it on weather.com. Personally I like it.

When I first got here I haven't had my SSN for 3 months due to slow processing and I could rent an apartment, open a bank account... do everything without any problems. As I heard it's not this easy in other states.

The location is excellent, there are mountains to the north within an hour, many beaches to choose from in 3.5-5 hours driving. Miami Beach is only 10 hours by car, I've tried it :)

If I didn't have a job here I would choose north Miami although everything is against it - property tax, insurance, hurricanes, less job opportunities in my area (I'm a software engineer / business analyst), no mountains, humidity, bugs, alligators :)

We will move to New Jersey and my wife will work in New York City. Her company already did the transfer to the US last week :) Now need a success at the interview in 10 days.

I have to apologize, i forgot to post my reply....

About a year ago my family and I moved to Chicago (on an E1 visa). That was before I knew I had been selected for the 2008 DV lottery.
Chicago is a great city.... lots of things to do, places to see, people to meet and $$$ to spend. Probably not as expensive as New York but close enough.
Lots of snow in the winter and great summers (never toooo toooo hot).
The job market is not that bad, schools in the suburbs are very good (not sure about the city).
Real estate has been suffering lately. Houses have lost a lot of value (makes it a buyer's market).
Right now if I could chose were to go and $$$ were not an issue I would move to San Diego.

For those of you who are still not sure the following link might be of guidance:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2007/top100/

Hi

I am going to California if my CN would be current. My aunty, cousins and 2nd cousins are there ( they're all native US citizens) and they help me to move & find a job. I am so lucky and wish my CN could be current!

New York, New York.

still have amonth before I find out if I get my GC or not, but that's where I'm dreaming od going.
The sights, the sounds, the food!

Did i mention the food?

Possible Chicago for a summer or two.
went there at christmas/new years. you wouldn't believe how much fun that place is!

Do you have to know the permanent address where you intend to live in the US on the day of the interview?
What is the blank sheet "Notice to visa applicants" in the 2nd letter for?

Could anyone tell me this?

Thanks in advance

Do you have to know the permanent address where you intend to live in the US on the day of the interview?

Thanks in advance

I did an AOS because I was already living in the US. As far as having to know the address I can tell you that during my interview they requested a copy of my lease (showing the address). What I'm trying to say is that it probably wouldn't hurt to have an address ready just in case. It shows the immigration officer that you have a place to stay once you get to the US.

Thanks in advance
At the time of the interview you need to be able to provide them with an address in the U.S. where your greencard will be sent to... But no, you don't need to know the permanent address.
The purpose of the "Notice to visa applicants" is to list documents which are still missing for your case. If the sheet is blank, this means that you filled out the forms correctly, and sent pictures in the right format.

At the time of the interview you need to be able to provide them with an address in the U.S. where your greencard will be sent to... But no, you don't need to know the permanent address.
The purpose of the "Notice to visa applicants" is to list documents which are still missing for your case. If the sheet is blank, this means that you filled out the forms correctly, and sent pictures in the right format.

thanks pal

North Carolina,
where my fiend is living and can help.. i never been in the State and i'de need agood support..
NC. is agreat place to live .. agood weather most of the year. quiet . and not expensive at all..
am going in my own so i dont have to worry about schools or apartements,
mayb the only big trouble that can face is to have a car..
actualy i thought befor about NY & CA & NJ as the most good places in the States but they never suit someone who just arrived to the States who has not enough money for the HIGH cost of living there..

New England

I hope to arrive in New England. I have never been to the State before. A friend connected me to Another friend living in New England. Atleast i am sure of accommodation and insight on how to get a good job on time. That is where i will receive my GC too. May be i will relocate late depending on how favourable the place will be to me.
Case:200800014xxx.
Expecting Case to be current.

by the way, I loved living in Columbia, MO for 10 years. Virtually no crime, but the climate was a bit worse than in ATL, but maybe, that's because I didn't have AC and couldn't afford heat in the winter. :(
P.S. I was a very poor student, but you can live on $900/month in Columbia quite comfortably (not luxuriously), and even travel!

Boston. I work in financial/investment services, hope to find job there. Better schools, more places to go for outings.