1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Family Based Green Card -Through Marriage/Relative' started by nighttrain79, Feb 17, 2012.

  1. nighttrain79

    nighttrain79 Registered Users (C)

    I want to immigrate my family to the US. I am a US citizen residing in Canada. My wife and her 2 children are Canadian Citizens. Both children are under 21. I myself have obtained permanent residence in Canada so I am familiar with the process. My biggest concern is the affidavit of support. I have no income in the US so it is my understanding that I will need at least 1 joint sponsor if not 2 joint sponsors. Where do I begin with this? Also, since I am residing in Canada will I need to move back to the US for a period of time before we begin the process? From what I can tell I still have residency in my home state have to move back to the state of Iowa so would it be possible to file soon and not have to move back to Iowa?
  2. Triple Citizen

    Triple Citizen Registered Users (C)

    You will need a financial co-sponsor.
    With regards to actually moving beforehand to the US, that may not be entirely neccessary. A US citizen residing aborad, at times, may just need to prove that he is in the process of moving to the US. This will depend a lot of the local policies of the US consulate. Some consulates let a citizen file I-130s directly, bypassing USCIS altogether. Approach the US consualte in Montreal and find out what their local policy is.

  3. Jackolantern

    Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

    Wouldn't having Canadian permanent residence make it more difficult to convince USCIS or the consulate that the US is his country of domicile, thereby making it important to actually move back to the US and/or surrender the Canadian PR?

Share This Page