When to submit documents proving marriage -- with application or at interview?

sudhany

Registered Users (C)
Thanks, everyone, for your help on earlier questions. Here I am with another one.

I'm applying to adjust status based on marriage to a US citizen, and am finally taking stock of the documents that need to be submitted. People on this forum often talk about documents proving marriage -- things like a copy of the lease with both names on it, joint bank account statements, insurance statements, joint utility bills, affidavits from friends about the marriage, photos etc. I've always been under the impression these were things one had to take to the interview rather than submit with the application. But now I'm wondering if I'm right. Am I required to attach these things even when I file the application? The instructions on the forms themselves don't mention this. (The I-130, for example, seems to require affidavits attesting to the marriage only if there is no marriage certificate.) Even if, strictly speaking, one doesn't have to attach these things, is it better to do so just to avoid an RFE later? What do you all suggest? Please also let me know what documents it is useful to attach to avoid an RFE. Is there somewhere I can look these up online?

Thanks again for all your help. I don't think I would feel confident applying on my own without your feedback. (Would probably have to pay a lawyer thousands of dollars :) )

You're right.
No leases, joint bills, photos (besides the passport pictures of you and your husband/wife) with the application.
Submit what they ask in the instructions.

Then you bring all this stuff to the interview.

Do It Yourselfers

Yes, a lawyer would cost you at least a couple thousand dollars. We consulted one initially, just for basic advice, and the paperwork looked intimidating and confusing at first glance.

But, gritty and stubborn as I am, I downloaded the darned things one at a time, made notes and researched. The instructions are very detailed from the USCIS site. It took me a month :eek: But after separating each document into its own folder, collecting the evidence dictated in the instructions and compiling it all, I felt fairly secure when I sent it in. We've had no RFEs and the fingerprinting notice was sent quickly (they cashed our checks quickly too !!) So I'm hopeful everything was in order.

I will say this: I do understand why people with any complications at all do use lawyers. And I think the paperwork is much too complicated than it needs to be. AND, I wish I'd known this forum was here when I was laboring over the package! But yes, just send a copy of the marriage license, (prior divorce papers if there are any), and do the checklist. If you've got everything on the checklist in the packet for each filing, you should be good to go.

Actually, they keep updating the forms so always check that you have the last one. And the instructions in some of the udpated ones are even clearer than before, in general it is pretty DIY.

Good luck,

If you have a printer I would say "Do it yourself". Some of the sites give the sample filled forms. So you know how they have done it. This site gives a sample filled forms. Some may be similar to your requirement. Please check http://www.immihelp.com/forms/i-485-adjustment-of-status.html.

ARI4U has done the main spade work. Please go through http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=188386&page=1&pp=15 especially the attachments...the covering letter. It tells you what to send.

And finally please download the latest fillable forms from the USCIS site.

PS..Do it FAST..It looks like USCIS is in a RUSH to clear all maximum pending cases before Sep...some deadline of 02 Sep.You could be lucky and have a Green Card by Oct.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you know and when did you know it

indone said:
PS..Do it FAST..It looks like USCIS is in a RUSH to clear all maximum pending cases before Sep...some deadline of 02 Sep.You could be lucky and have a Green Card by Oct.

This is the first thing I read this morning and I haven't had my coffee yet. Don't do that to me :eek: What do you know, Indone? What is a "maximum pending case"? Or are you just reading tea leaves again, LOL! Do tell us what you know ! I've had no LUDs or emails or anyfreakin thing in almost 30 days so I'm antsy for good news, even if its a rumor :D

I have compiled my own system of cover page checklists see attached for each Form and it supporting Documents, I seperated all forms into seperate color coded Folders, all the documents were attached in the folders with Addco fasteners as the USCIS page suggests.

I-130 ( includes G325a for USC
I-864
I-485
Support Evidence of relationship

We have had no RFE's yet, and we will take a seperate Folder to the interview with our originals ( Marriage & BC, Tax returns ect..) somewhat like a College thesis presentation, put it in a report folder We even printed a photo of us together with a title page.
There better organised one is the better the chances are that no RFE's and USCIS can process case smoothly!

JustCounting said:
I've had no LUDs or emails or anyfreakin thing in almost 30 days so I'm antsy for good news, even if its a rumor :D
Want to take a bet..
.No LUD's..No RFE's ..You are gonna get your GC pretty fast. Mebbe break the record of B2 cases.EAD 62 days, Interview 90 Days. :)
Oh god I've started praying for you now.
PS. Read some article about clearing cases before sep 2006. Maybe they have to submit a report in Oct.Got our Hopes real High and to top it all have you noticed the fast trak in cases wef 12 Jul.Hope things turn out well

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the Bet and Raise you One

indone said:
Want to take a bet..
.No LUD's..No RFE's ..You are gonna get your GC pretty fast. Mebbe break the record of B2 cases.EAD 62 days, Interview 90 Days. :)
Oh god I've started praying for you now.

I'll take the bet and also take the prayers! I think we ALL need some of that. Will keep you posted, especially since your rep is riding on this one now, LOL. If you get this one right, I'll compose a sonnet to your posting name :p