When can I apply for citizenship?

gaygtteen

Registered Users (C)
Hey Everyone,

I was granted asylum September of 2009 and I received my green card February of 2012,When can I apply for citizenship? I know that the usually count the time from when you were granted asylum to the date you received your green card for when you are applying for citizenship,but I am not sure when I can apply for mines.Can I apply for it this year?

4years and nine months after your resident since date on your Green Card. If you got your GC in Feb, 2012, your GC should be backdated to Feb, 2011. So you should be eligible to apply for citizenship in November, 2015.

Sorry to disappoint you!

Hey Mesbahul,

Thanks for your reply.Not much of a disappointment,I was just not sure when I could apply for it.Well at least November 2015 is a better date than November, 2016 as I was thinking.Thank you so much for providing a answer.

4years and nine months after your resident since date on your Green Card. If you got your GC in Feb, 2012, your GC should be backdated to Feb, 2011. So you should be eligible to apply for citizenship in November, 2015.

Sorry to disappoint you!

Hey there, I would appreciate if you could clarify my case...

I was approved for a green card (asylum case) March 3, 2012, but on the green card it states that I'm a resident since July 1, 2012 - my case was not backdated - is that a mistake? I was looking forward to applying for naturalization now (May, 2016). Or should I try to change the date on the green card instead? Thanks

Your Green Card was approved on SATURDAY 3/3/2012 but your card says that you became a resident on SUNDAY 7/1/2012 (4 months later?) Many things seem to be off from your dates.

Your Green Card was approved on SATURDAY 3/3/2012 but your card says that you became a resident on SUNDAY 7/1/2012 (4 months later?) Many things seem to be off from your dates.

Yes the dates are correct, what's exactly off in my case, can you specify please?