when can a resident sponsor their child?

venezuelangirl

Registered Users (C)
Hi!

My parents have just submitted all their forms for adjustment of status (I am a US citizen and am sponsoring them). They just got their first biometrics appointment. I understand they will then get their work permit. My question is, how long until they can sponsor their children? Do they have to wait until they get their actual resident card or can they do it once they get an A#?

Thanks so much for all your help!! :):):)

Last edited by a moderator:
A# comes on the residence card.

Your question is not clear. How your parents are changing their status, are you the petioner of them? If it is they are going to receive their green card not EAD.

To be an sponsor means that you are making enough money to support the other person.

Hopefully it answers your questions.

My question is, how long until they can sponsor their children? Do they have to wait until they get their actual resident card or can they do it once they get an A#?

Having an A# does not make you a Permanent Resident.

They cannot sponsor their married children until they become citizens, and they cannot sponsor their unmarried, over 21 children until their I-485 is approved.

I am sponsoring them. I became a citizen in December and they sent in their paperwork a couple of weeks ago. They just got the appointment to get their biometrics but I'm not sure how it all works after that, what happens next for them or when they would get their green card. They were already in the country to they filed I-130, I-485, I-864, I-765... so when would they be able to start the paperwork for my sister and my brother?

Both kids are under 19 and unmarried.

Your best course of action is for YOU to sponsor them, by filing an I-130 on their behalf. This locks in the earliest possible priority date, and your petition will survive if they marry.

Once your parents' GCs are approved, start tracking the FB2B priority dates. If the PD of your I-130 is about to become current for FB2B, your parents can file an I-130 and port the original PD from your petition. Same if they become citizens and your siblings fall into FB1 or FB3.

I am sponsoring them. I became a citizen in December and they sent in their paperwork a couple of weeks ago. They just got the appointment to get their biometrics but I'm not sure how it all works after that, what happens next for them or when they would get their green card. They were already in the country to they filed I-130, I-485, I-864, I-765... so when would they be able to start the paperwork for my sister and my brother?

Your parents are going to be first Resident Permanents and they can be the petioner for their kids but the process is going to be a long trip (5 years approx). Also you as an us citizen can be the petioner of them but is going to be a long trip too. Not sure which one is going to be longer.

Well the reason why I'm not sponsoring them is because I thought that it took twice as long if I sponsored them. What comes next for my parents after the biometrics appointment?

Ok, and one last question, what happens after this appointment that my parents are going to?

Thank you so much everybody for all your help!