When am I eligible for US Citizenship?

Black01

Registered Users (C)
Hello guys/gals,

Does any one know if I am already eligible to apply for US Citizenship? My situation is below.

I have been a GC since Dec. 1998 until now.

My case is at March of 2002 I left the country and studied abroad until April of 2003, then I went back to US with re-entry permit. During my stay in 1998-2002 I have been filing my taxes. Also during my application of re-entry permit I have always stated that I will be going out of the country to study which is true and I did not work outside the country.

So I stayed in the US from April 2003 to March of 2004, then on March of 2004 I went back abroad and finished my studies until March of 2006. Then on May of 2006 I went back to US with re-entry permit(stated when I applied for re-entry that I will be going to school again) and started working in US as a professional until now.

All the time I was away for school, my parents have been paying for my studies while I was abroad.

Now does anyone know if I am eligible or when am I eligible for US Citizenship?

Thank you all in advance.

No you are not. You should have come back every 364 days to keep the timer running.

If you leave the country for 1 year or
longer, you may be eligible to re-enter as a
Permanent Resident if you have a Re-entry
Permit. But none of the time you were in
the United States before you left the country
counts toward your time in continuous
residence.
If you return within 2 years, some of your
time out of the country does count. In
fact, the last 364 days of your time out of
the country (1 year minus 1 day) counts
toward meeting your continuous residence
requirement.

Hello guys/gals,

Does any one know if I am already eligible to apply for US Citizenship? My situation is below.

My case is at March of 2002 I left the country and studied abroad until April of 2003, then I went back to US with re-entry permit. During my stay in 1998-2002 I have been filing my taxes. Also during my application of re-entry permit I have always stated that I will be going out of the country to study which is true and I did not work outside the country.

So I stayed in the US from April 2003 to March of 2004, then on March of 2004 I went back abroad and finished my studies until March of 2006. Then on May of 2006 I went back to US with re-entry permit(stated when I applied for re-entry that I will be going to school again) and started working in US as a professional until now.

All the time I was away for school, my parents have been paying for my studies while I was abroad.

Since you broke continuous residency between 2004-2006, you'll only become eligible to apply 4 years + 1day after your March 2006 return to US.
So March 2010 is the earliest you can apply.

Hello guys/gals,

You might already be a US citizen if one of your parents is a US citizen and he/she became a US citizen before you turned 18.

You might already be a US citizen if one of your parents is a US citizen and he/she became a US citizen before you turned 18.
My mother is a US Citizen but she became a US Citizen when I'm already 26 or 27 years old. I don't know if that will help.

Since you broke continuous residency between 2004-2006, you'll only become eligible to apply 4 years + 1day after your March 2006 return to US.
So March 2010 is the earliest you can apply.
I'm sorry but I just notice the date you posted. Did you mean "May 2010"? Or did I read your post correctly that I can apply on March 2010?

Thank you.

I'm sorry but I just notice the date you posted. Did you mean "May 2010"? Or did I read your post correctly that I can apply on March 2010?

Thank you.

4 years + 1day after your return in May 2006 would be May 2010. March 2006 was when you finished your studies, but you only returned in May 2006.