When a person will get his GC after marriage?

Cl_Asylee

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

This is a basic question but I would like to know the latest experiences.

A friend of mine U.S. Citizen is planning to marry her girlfriend, she will come to USA with a tourist visa.

He would like to know how long it will take her to get the GC and be able to start working?

Thanks a lot!

Hi All,

This is a basic question but I would like to know the latest experiences.

A friend of mine U.S. Citizen is planning to marry her girlfriend, she will come to USA with a tourist visa.

He would like to know how long it will take her to get the GC and be able to start working?

Thanks a lot!

Tell your friend that in order to be a good citizen, he should file the paperwork for her to come on a fiancee' visa. The use of a tourist visa with immigration intent is a violation of US law. USCIS and US Consulate might not take kindly such a scheme, and a simple case could turn into a nightmare pretty quickly, should they suspect she lied to them to procure the visa. Is your friend intending to disclose to US consulate that she intends to marry the gentleman?

If they want to disregard the laws, she can come on a tourist visa and get married, file the paperwork and she should be able to get a work permit, 90 days after filing the paperwork. As far as finding a job, I don't know when she will find one because of the economy is still sucking hot air. Please read the article on the link below to educate yourself on the tightrope you are walking.

http://www.visapro.com/Immigration-Articles/?a=1252&z=36

Al Southner. Thanks a lot for your complete and informative reply. This is really helpful. I will let my friend know about this. I am sure he does not know about all the implications of the tourist visa.

If she doesn't already have a tourist visa, she will have to disclose the fact that she has a US citizen fiance on the tourist visa application. That will likely result in the visa being denied, with instructions to apply for a fiancee visa instead.

If she hides that she has a fiance, then gets the visa and uses it to enter the US and get married shortly thereafter, when she applies for the GC it will look suspicious that she claimed to have no fiance a couple months ago.

Year 2010:
03/27 Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765, I-864, G-325 to the chicago lockbox
07/26 Rejected Is my attorney an idiot?
08/03 Mailed again all of the above (with correct I-485 form)
08/11 Receipt notice
09/15 Received Biometrics appointment scheduled for 10/8
09/16 Awesome Walk-In at the Chula Vista ASC in the afternoon, Biometrics done...
Off topic, but sorry I can't help not to notice your time line. I am filing with the help of a lawyer, too. And I am not very well impressed by her. Why was your I485 rejected? :( And it was rejected after 4 months of waiting? Oh gosh :( That would drive me nuts :(