What's the status after marrying a PR?

noob

Registered Users (C)
I have had my gc for the past 2 years ( not eligible to apply for citizenship yet ). I recently got married to a girl that is in US with a F-1 visa pursuing her nursing degree. Is there anything that I can apply for her? Should she change her status?

thanks

noob.

Well there is good news for you, the Category for Spouse of a Permanent resident has moved very fast and according to the recent September's Visa bulletin from Department of State's website they are now processing cases filed in January of 2010, so she can get a green card in no time now, even without you getting your citizenship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there is good news for you, the Category for Spouse of a Permanent resident has moved very fast and according to the recent September's Visa bulletin from Department of State's website they are now processing cases filed in January of 2010, so she can get a green card in no time now, even without you getting your citizenship.

What??? Aren't spouses of LPRs Category 2A with a 2 year old PD?

Yes, category 2A. When was last time you checked Visa Bulletin?

Yesterday! And the priority date for 2A was in 2008 which is a couple of years, not current. Oh wait, I looked at http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5019.html which is for July.... but when I move forward it is almost current. How on earth is this happening? That's a bit disturbing tbh... :eek:

This really makes no sense. July is only three or four months in the past and the waiting time was 2 years then. But now, it's almost current. Where are all these extra visa numbers coming from? I hope it's not what I suspect.

Appreciate your response; do you happen to know what needs to be filed, etc? Is there a webpage you can refer me to?

Thanks again.

Edit: I found a USCIS website that says I need to file I-130 then I-485. ** sorry, can't post the URL here because I'm new here and doesn't have more than 15 posts yet **
Anyone have any experience filing those 2 forms by themselves? Care to comment on the level of complications??

thks!

Last edited by a moderator: